So, I am a member of an internet forum that I have been frequenting and praticipating in the discussion. Not a faith-related forum, more a scientific kind of thing where we discuss a certain topic (don’t want to give details so as not to reveal other people’s fault, but enough to say that it is a morally neutral topic.)
I enjoy participating very much as the topic fascinates me.
Recently, not for the first time, I have noticed again that some members use “bad” language. That is, language below the belt line. Not meaning anything evil, as I get it, more like to be either funny or to underline their emotions (disappointment with something, for example).
Maybe I am more sensitive to it as most of the members are men.
Anyway, not for the first time I asked them couldn’t they leave away such comments. Due to this, an admin deleted the comment and the resulting discussion.
Tonight I read another comment where somebody used a… let’s say mildly obscene (not really very bad, but a little bit) expression.
Now I do not want to comment AGAIN becausew of every little thing, especially since now I am a bit sensitized to noticing such things.
Main question for me is, morally speaking for me now: Is it immoral for me to keep participating in the forum?
What would you do, stay or go?
Things to consider:
- I am very much interested in and fascinated by the topic, and don’t know if there is another good forum for it for my area. It would be a loss for me personally.
- difficult anyway to completely avoid all people who use bad language. Even talking to some friends, etc.
- I may be a good influence on them; they might do it LESS
- they are not that frequent, maybe not even more frequent than in everyday life ;))
- doesn’t it say in the Bible we should not have anything to do with evildoers (forget the passage)… (on the other hand, are they really evildoers in that sense?)
- it does offend me a bit, I really do NOT like reading such comments (could try just not to pay attention to them of course)
- it may make a point if I leave for a while, they may start asking why did I leave, and maybe it will change them more
Just wondering what other people, who are less scrupulous than me, think about this.