People who, in Mass, rush through prayers ahead of the rest?

This is kind of a rant :blush:. but I am curious to see if others have had experience or have insight on this “problem”, and if they have any solutions.

This has happened for as long as I can remember, but I noticed a particularly bad episode yesterday at Mass. During all of the prayers that the congregation says together (Gloria, Our Father, etc.), one man was praying VERY quickly, and quite loudly. It was QUITE distracting, and a teensy (OK, maybe a little more than that…) bit annoying. To our (my mom and I) astonishment, during the Agnus Dei, he proceeded do the same thing, only singing even MORE loudly… I’m sure all of you Mass attenders know exactly what I am talking about, but what can be done? I find it extremely rude, disruptive, distracting, and self-centered.

I agree with you that it is very disruptive, but I try to offer my suffering up to Christ when I have to keep saying my own prayers because of people like that are a bit annoying (more often then not I just get really mad, but every once in awhile it can be useful). There’s obviously not much you can do so hopefully you can take opportunities like this and offer them up to Christ.

Hope this helps

This happens frequently at my usual church, it especially throws me off on the Creed, but the church is mostly retirees so I think some of them probably can’t hear well and that is why they’re not in cadence with everyone else.

It happens all the time and not just during mass. Some folks do it during a communal rosary or other prayers. In a way they are just trying to show off, as if they are trying to prove to you that they know the words better than you do.

It is very disruptive and a bit disrespectful. It is certainly NOT the way God would want us to pray. Our Lady tells us that prayers said in such a manner are worse than not saying any prayers at all. I can say a Hail Mary in less than 5 seconds, but what is the point ? You certainly can not be mediating on the meaning of such prayers.

There is one Mass at the parish I attend that is preferred by seniors and older people. They are in the vast majority at that service and it’s then that I noticed what the OP mentioned and I think it’s because they can’t hear too well and get off track.

Yes, it’s annoying, but I made a CONSCIOUS decision not to be annoyed by and think instead that it’s great they are still in good health to be up and around and out for Mass.

This is what TASERs are for.

When a religious community is at prayer, it is said that you can tell if the community gets along well by how they all pray at the same speed. Wonder if this works for people attending Mass?

Hi “HJ” :wave: I’ve sometimes noticed this happening, too. And yes, it can be quite distracting and even annoying. But something happened to me this week, that gives me new perspective on this subject.

This past week… I had a total hearing loss in my right ear (which has been resolved, thankfully); But before my hearing was restored, we attended daily Mass… and I noticed that I had an extremely difficult time… staying on the same line with the vocal prayers (I was too fast, or too slow… from what I could hear out of my good ear). It got so bad, that I stopped praying aloud. I couldn’t hear the others; and because my hearing loss had been so sudden… it also provided an acute awareness… that I might not be “in sync” with the others. This might not be the case, for someone with long-term, partial hearing loss.

In pondering your question, I’m now inclined to believe that people who pray “too quickly” or “too loudly” are perhaps hard of hearing, or maybe even have a form of tone-deafness… which makes it impossible for them to be aware that they’re out of “sync” with the others.

Just a thought, for your consideration; and perhaps, it will help you to get through the experience of an “out of sync” brother or sister at Mass.

God bless you, dear soul. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.