People who think everyone goes to heaven?

Some people think upon death everyone goes straight to heaven. Even if they they lead a sinful life up until death. This has got me thinking, isn’t it so that if a person dies in a state of mortal sin they can never get to heaven? Our soul is very important and upon death we realise all our sins and understand everything fully then. Don’t we meet Jesus face to face upon death? On question I was wondering is if a person makes a sincere confession, receives the Eucharist and last rites before death are they guaranteed going straight to heaven? Or if there is some stain of sin left on their soul purgatory?

Whether everyone goes to heaven is a very different question than whether the heaven-bound all go there directly.

You are right, though, many people are “canonized” at their funerals, which is unfortunate, since this means their friends and relatives may be less likely to pray for them; and if they are suffering in purgatory, they may very much desire our prayers.

To answer your question, receiving last rites by no means guarantees bypassing purgatory, nor does it guarantee going to heaven at all. But God is just and merciful and keeps his word. He gives us every opportunity to repent and wants us very much to be united with him forever.

As to a good death, in addition to last rites, wise men have said that we can do a lot of purging by embracing our death and its pains as God has ordained for us to undergo it.

The idea that everyone goes to heaven directly has absolutely no Catholic backing. Most of us will go through purgatory, even if we were decent people. Now some people believe or hope that everyone will go to heaven eventually, which is not totally unreasonable from a Catholic point of view.

I am one who also hopes for this, but am not sure about how likely it is. It would require everyone to accept God at least at the end of their life. They wouldn’t “get away” with their Earthly misdeeds, as those would be taken care of in purgatory.

If everyone went to Heaven, there would be no need for Hell.

However, Heaven and Hell are both for real.

Therefore, not everyone goes to Heaven. The Bible is abundantly clear about this, and so is Catholic teaching. I wouldn’t confuse this with Purgatory. Everyone who goes through Purgatory ends up in Heaven; nobody has ever “flunked out” of Purgatory. How painful is your stay in Purgatory? That depends…but the end is always good.

Purgatory is for the souls which are “saved, but stained,” as “nothing unclean shall enter Heaven.” Hell is for the souls which are totally unsaved because they chose to defy or deny God while on earth.

The priests I know believe that when they give someone the Last Rites, it is a “ticket to Heaven,” if the person is receiving them sincerely and with hope in Jesus Christ.

However, not everyone receives the Last Rites, and if someone thinks he’s going to Heaven anyway, then he might not want to “bother the priest” when he is on his deathbed. :frowning:

No, only the saved go to Heaven. Saved means having lived a life full of love. This is the only way to get to Heaven.

Strangely, at my parish golden jubilee lunch I argued with one parishioner who insisted that there is no hell. He asked me go and talk to the bishop. I did and surprisingly the bishop seemed to have the same idea that there was no hell.

Yes…I think that if there is this “heaven”, we all go to it.
Different religions and philosophies teach different outcomes of what might or might not happen to us after we die–if anything at all. You ask the question as if someone has the factual answer…but no one knows anything for sure, of course.

That is simply not consistent with Catholic dogma. Maybe you should talk to their superiors?

Within certain circles of Judaism, it’s believed that every soul will eventually be saved.

If I could, like Moses intervened for his fellow Israelites, I would like to act as an ‘attorney’ for the souls in hell.

LOVE! :heart:

I like to think that God’s Mercy is big enough to save most of the people if not all, of course that is what i think for others , for ourselves, I believe we have to do our best and be a littl emore strict.

now about purgatory, well, i think that going there is painful, yes, but still a great hope that one day you’ll be next to God.

It means a denial of sin or the seriousness of sin. Our generation seems to have lost the sense of sin.

Ophra Winfrey has been pushing this idea, that instead of sin, almost everything is ok because it is just the way you look at it. One person may view it one way and the other person looks at it differently. But both ways are ok. So if everything is just a viewpoint, then everyone will find heaven in their own way and there is no guilt to deal with to mess up our happiness. And she is selling lots of books on this which shows how popular her ideas are. And I have read where catholics are also falling for this.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

I reported the matter to my parish priest.

Oprah Winfrey is doing a lot of harm and sadly some people are buying this. She needs to remember this :

“Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers - none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.” [1 Cor. 6:9-10]

Orca Winfrey is also pushing the idea that she is a victim.
Sorry to be uncharitable (and mean)…she is a very talented, smart (and richly blessed) woman.
But she’s lost all cred lately.

This is terrible how can a catholic even think this!?

Matthew 7:13-23: "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few. "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits. "Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me,Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’

This is the work of the devil to make people believe that there is no hell. So you can sin as much as you want because there is no hell. There is also a spirituality church becoming very popular. You do not need to have a religion or believe in God as long as you are a good person. Another act of the devil.

This guy argued with me and told me that hell and homosexuality was not mentioned in the bible. He is a teacher of religion in a primary school. Can you imagine what damage he is doing to the children?

Absolutely the sad reality is people believe these things. It makes it a lot easier for the devil when people don’t believe in hell or God for that matter. The whole agenda of pushing abortion, same sex marriage, euthanasia on society for example is all work of the devil. Anything that will offend God is his aim.

God help them, he is doing a lot of harm. Am I right in thinking he is spreading heresy? He needs prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.