Percy Jackson and The Olympians

In case you haven't heard, there's a challenger to the Harry Potter craze. It's called Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. In the series, a boy named Percy Jackson discovers he is the son of the Greek God Poseidon and meets other children who are also sons and daughters of Greek Gods. I've read all five of the original series and there is a sequel series starting next August. There is also a movie based on the first book which will be released in Feb. The five books in the original series are:
The Lightning Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
Battle of the Labyrinth
The Last Olympian
If you're squeamish about letting your kids get into Harry Potter because of the witchcraft accusations (note: Even though I'm a Harry Potter fan, that doesn't mean I can't see the other side's arguments), this is a great alternative. I mean, let's face it, who worships the Greek gods anymore? The books are well-written and fast-paced. I can't wait for the movie, especially since they got Chris Columbus directing it (he directed the first two Harry Potter movies).

The book series has been around for a while. The first was released in 2005.

While it is a good series, it did not hold either my or my kids' interests like Harry Potter did.

[quote="rocklobster, post:1, topic:178702"]
I can't wait for the movie, especially since they got Chris Columbus directing it (he directed the first two Harry Potter movies).

[/quote]

He also directed "Home Alone" .

I read the first couple of these books to me children. Morally they are okay, however they do deal with a few touchy subjects. Such as "gods" having affairs with humans and begetting children (ie the main characters). The kids do use a bit of crass speech. The positive aspect of the series is that kids learn a lot about Greek mythology. It basically incorporates many of the classic Greek stories, but they take place in modern times.

This is a good suggestion... I'd still recommend to my future kids the Narnia books. A few years back I felt like this was one of the few intelligent books I could read and enjoy. And only now do I really understand them:o

This movie trailer bothered me... I see your point that nobody is into this any more... but as a kid I had a very overactive imagination (still do actually!) and if I were to see a cool movie like this, I'd keep imagining myself as one of the Greek gods, controlling matter and stuff like that, and getting into the religious bandwagon, of the pagan variety, you could be setting kids up with an unhealthy fascination with this stuff. Just saying... I won't be seeing the movie. Harry Potter is quite different, since these books don't get religious at all. With Greek gods, I think these cross the line a bit. (vs. Harry Potter... kids could imagine themselves going to Hogwarts, but then wondering how they'll get to mass every Sunday. With this stuff, other religion is implied as untrue)

[quote="whm, post:3, topic:178702"]
He also directed "Home Alone" .

I read the first couple of these books to me children. Morally they are okay, however they do deal with a few touchy subjects. Such as "gods" having affairs with humans and begetting children (ie the main characters). The kids do use a bit of crass speech. The positive aspect of the series is that kids learn a lot about Greek mythology. It basically incorporates many of the classic Greek stories, but they take place in modern times.

[/quote]

Sounds fairly consistent with Greek myth, them Gods were in and out of the sack so fast there bottoms probably needed ointments for the burns incurred via rubbing against the sheets. Swans, bulls, rains of gold etc. - that Zeus got about a bit and that's without mentioning any of the other Gods.

The only reason I thought this would be a reasonable alternative to Harry Potter is the fact that it deals with a religion that is, for the most part, dead.

[quote="rocklobster, post:6, topic:178702"]
The only reason I thought this would be a reasonable alternative to Harry Potter is the fact that it deals with a religion that is, for the most part, dead.

[/quote]

There are still "pagans" around... I think it's mostly a trend, but there have been a few lately lurking the forums and saying the weirdest things... I mean the occult (witchcraft) would sort of be on the same level as this sort of twisted religion, right?

I know what you're saying... the kids who love Harry Potter books don't really have any new alternatives... perhaps the older girls have Twilight:shrug:

Well, there is that Wizards of Waverly Place show on Disney.

[quote="rocklobster, post:1, topic:178702"]
you're squeamish about letting your kids get into Harry Potter because of the witchcraft accusations (note: Even though I'm a Harry Potter fan, that doesn't mean I can't see the other side's arguments), this is a great alternative. I mean, let's face it, who worships the Greek gods anymore?

[/quote]

I know many who do. The House of Vines just one example.

The books are well-written and fast-paced. I can't wait for the movie, especially since they got Chris Columbus directing it (he directed the first two Harry Potter movies).

Agreed on the books! I refuse to see the film however for two reasons.

1) All reference to Pagan religion are mostly removed. You'll be fine with this.

2) They removed the explination of why Olympus is in New York. Have the kids just drive to L.A. skipping everything in the book. Mr. D, Ares, Kronos, Trcia's Tree and a few other major characers got cut.

[quote="ljubim, post:7, topic:178702"]
There are still "pagans" around... I think it's mostly a trend

[/quote]

Tracing the movement back to it's earliest possible origins of the 1930s or if you want the 60s when it all exploded out Neo-Paganism is ninty to sixty years old. A bit long for a trend no?

Heck a few sources go back as far as 1885.

but there have been a few lately lurking the forums and saying the weirdest things... I mean the occult (witchcraft) would sort of be on the same level as this sort of twisted religion, right?

What sort of weird things maybe I can clear some of it up for ya?

I know what you're saying... the kids who love Harry Potter books don't really have any new alternatives... perhaps the older girls have Twilight:shrug:

Some are against Twilight too. Of course some are against anything but the Bible and Church teachings...

I'm against Twilight...............................because it's atrociously written and not for any other reason.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:10, topic:178702"]
I'm against Twilight...............................because it's atrociously written and not for any other reason.

[/quote]

It's like a train wreck. You CANNOT look away...

I'm having a great time with a series called The Looking Glass Wars. Such a lively take on Alice. I doubt it will catch on like HP or this, but darn it, it should

ANYway, I saw the trailer for this movie while seeing SHerlock Holmes. I've always been very interested in mythology, and want to check this out.

Oh God yes I have to agree. The writing is dire indeed in this series. It’s like (as others have commented here) the worst of fan-fiction with an extra added helping of purple prose. There are infinitely better fantasy and science-fiction writers out there. That’s my main objection to it, that it uses supernatural themes doesn’t bother me. I’ve said it before but at risk of causing offence the whole obsession with the wickedness of Harry Potter/Twilight/Dungeons and Dragons etc. etc. seems largely to be a concern of American Catholics, it doesn’t resonate with my cultural background or upbringing and I find it odd to be honest. It always seems to me like a certain section of the Catholic Church in America has taken on some of the more paranoid qualities of extreme fundamentalists regarding this sort of literature.

My one reason for advising a teenager not to read Twilight would be that it’s mainly mushy pap. Harry Potter is somewhat better but I would still say overall poorly written although the latter books managed to raise the standard somewhat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.