Perfect/Complete Knowledge

How do I show that once in Heaven we will have complete, perfect, knowledge and won’t need to continue to “progess” in knowledge?

Thanks

Here is Dr. Kreeft’s speculation:

1. Will we know everything in Heaven?
    I think not. Only God is omniscient. We will never stop learning, but we will never come to the end, either. Only God can endure knowing everything without being bored.

[quote=Maranatha]Here is Dr. Kreeft’s speculation:

1. Will we know everything in Heaven?
    I think not. Only God is omniscient. We will never stop learning, but we will never come to the end, either. Only God can endure knowing everything without being bored.
    [/quote]

So then we WILL “eternally progress” in our knowledge while in Heaven?

[quote=tkdnick]So then we WILL “eternally progress” in our knowledge while in Heaven?
[/quote]

That’s the way I understand it. Which menas, if you do the math, there is an infinate amount to know.

Morning prayers include the following:

To me, how mysterious your thoughts,
The sum of them not to be numbered!
If I count them, they are more than the sand;
To finish I must be eternal, like you….

If you meditate on this small part of the prayer, you can easily see the wonder that is God.

God Bless,
RyanL

We do not eternally progress in knowledge of God. Heaven is a state of continuality and there is no change there. We will each comprehend God to a level dependant upon the grace we have acquired during our lives on Earth. We cannot obtain grace after dying (otherwise no hell) so the degree to which we understand God remains constant.

[quote=Aaron I.]We do not eternally progress in knowledge of God. Heaven is a state of continuality and there is no change there. We will each comprehend God to a level dependant upon the grace we have acquired during our lives on Earth. We cannot obtain grace after dying (otherwise no hell) so the degree to which we understand God remains constant.
[/quote]

So does that mean that we will only know and understand God to the extent that we know and understand Him when we die?

Not having been in heaven, I have no idea of what the experience will be like. I do know that we will have the Beatific Vision, with God himself replacing our idea of God in our intellect.

So will we grow in knowledge? It’s all speculation. We do, however, know of at least one human being who possessed the beatific vision during his human lifetime: Jesus Christ. In his human nature, Jesus did indeed grow in knowledge during his lifetime, even while, in his divine nature, remaining all-knowing and immutable.

[quote=tkdnick]So does that mean that we will only know and understand God to the extent that we know and understand Him when we die?
[/quote]

No. The difference is that we are not in the presence of God now.

[quote=tkdnick]How do I show that once in Heaven we will have complete, perfect, knowledge and won’t need to continue to “progess” in knowledge?

Thanks
[/quote]

You probably can’t - why would you want to?
BTW, It is probably more accurate to say that you will have awareness of the Truth in Heaven, not knowledge of it.

Phil

[quote=Philthy]You probably can’t - why would you want to?
BTW, It is probably more accurate to say that you will have awareness of the Truth in Heaven, not knowledge of it.

Phil
[/quote]

Well, the reason I wanted to is because I’m having a discussion with an LDS about eternal progression. It was my understanding that once in Heaven, our knowledge of things would be complete/perfect based on 1 Corinthians 13:9-12. Her belief is that our knowledge will always increase for all eternity. I was under the impression that that idea is erroneous. Though, it seems there isn’t a definitive answer one way or the other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.