Perfect Contrition

I have heard that if one were to make an Act of Perfect Contrition outside of Confession that this would be sufficent to forgive one of their sins is this true and how would one know if they have made an Act of Perfect Contrition?

From the Catechism:

1492 Repentance (also called contrition) must be inspired by motives that arise from faith. If repentance arises from love of charity for God, it is called “perfect” contrition; if it is founded on other motives, it is called “imperfect.”

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

Notice that it does say: firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

I have read elsewhere that perfect contrition is sufficient for the forgiveness of sins - but to me, I don’t think I would ever know if I’d made a perfect Act of Contrition. I believe for it to be perfect, the conditions for a plenary indulgence must be present too, which includes no attachment to sin - even venial. And that’s difficult to know too, isn’t it?

starrs, if you are really asking, “Why do I have to go to confession if I can make a perfect act of contrition?” the answer is that it is almost impossible to make a perfect act of contrition but in the Sacrament of Confession, simple *attrition *is sufficient. Jesus himself has provided this beautiful Sacrament as the ordinary means of reconciliation with God and with the Church. It is a privilege to come to his mercy on his terms.

Well I asked because I heard about this and it sounded fishy but I think that it is a moot point because it’s next to impossible for one to know if they have made a Act of Perfect Contrition or not.

if one was truly in a state of perfect contrition, regretting their sins not only for their perceptible evil effects and fear of punishment, but in a state of complete love for God and submission to His will, nothing would prevent this person from confessing and asking for absolution from one of God’s priests at the earliest opportunity.

I’ve read about this being applicable if you were on your deathbed and there was no way to make a Sacramental confession, you wouldn’t die with a mortal sin. I dont think I’ve seen it presented as something that would ever be chosen if you could make a Sacramental confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.