Perhaps part of why I have trouble with career choice

I think all of the sin in the world could be interferring very much with knowing what would be a good career.
I mean picture it: if things weren’t so sinful and there was justice and truth and encouragement and kindness wouldn’t it be easier to find work?
I think a lot of things are based on falsehood and are sinful now. Or just not very good.

It seems that people are rather sinful now. And if you actually take an honest look at what people believe in a lot of it is falsehood.

Most people behave like drek who are always rude or unkind in some way too often. It’s like they believe they’re offering great service and it’s really a snug tyranny.

It seems to be involved in some kind of work would entail being involved with something that is in someway unjust or inhumane or false. Education sure is.

I believe the times are so sinful so that is why it is very difficult to know what would be the right work for me. Hey if people were great and understanding and warm and kind and pleasant it would be much easier to know what would be a good career. I believe trouble knowing the right work has to do with how sinful people are. That could be a rather important part of the whole thing.

Wait I see more of it now perhaps. I’m not going to say what it is but I do think it’s related to sin.

Maybe I could try to work on making things better? Making the world a better place? Making peoples lives better?

You may be interested in: The Invisible World, by Anthony DeStefano (Doubleday, 2011)

"In the midst of a busy life, we need to be able to poke our heads above the everyday material world and remember that whatever we’re doing—right now—has eternal consequences for ourselves and others.
It’s not just about making money, growing a business, or maintaining a home and family. Our souls are constantly affected not only by this world, but by an invisible world. Our life and work is a part of it, and the invisible world is a part of us. We’re interacting with it whether we know it or not, so better to know it!

alsoGoogle:
Salt and light + Cardinal Peter Turkson -Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. Catholic business education held at the University of Dayton. A vocation to business

God bless

Fan of Francis,

What should our work pursuits be based on? True service to others?

Christ served His\our Father.
There is your answer my friend, it is asked of all of us. Our father is calling you closer to Him. I an happy for you.
See:
VOCATION OF THE BUSINESS LEADER -http://www.ku.de/fileadmin/160124/000.PCJP.FINAL.Document.11.FINAL.FINAL.1.pdf

Change Business Leader to “Me or insert your name”

This passage from St Francis de Sales has helped me in discerning my career.

“Truly charity has no limit; for the love of God has been poured into our hearts
by His Spirit dwelling in each one of us, calling us to a life of devotion and inviting us to bloom in the garden where He has planted and directing us to radiate the beauty and spread the fragrance of His Providence.”

It is often simplified as “Bloom where you’re planted.” In other words, you can serve God and your neighbor exactly where you are, even if you don’t think you are where you think you ought to be.

When it comes to a job or a career, naturally we need to choose something that people are willing to pay for, and we need to be careful that it is moral and not helping people to commit sin.

So, one might decide to sell pharmaceuticals. But one must be able to choose *not *to sell immoral pharmaceuticals; sell medicine that helps people to recover from physical problems, but not products which prevent the normal functioning of the body.

Even being a janitor, which does not carry a lot of social weight, is fine.

Once a moral type of work has been chosen, then we must do our work in a holy way, offering up our tasks, maintaining a pleasant and helpful and obedient demeanor, etc.

While doing X may or may not be holy in and of itself, we can make it holy by the way we do it. Christ was a carpenter, St Peter was a fisherman, and St Paul was a tentmaker, and yet, they were very holy people.

Can you explain in more detail service to the Father. What it consists of exactly more specifically? I think this is very important to help me understand and know.

Well I have to stand corrected and say that teaching when done well IS compatible with Scripture. In fact there is a Jewish Law requiring that you teach Torah.

Can you explain in more detail service to the Father. What it consists of exactly more specifically? I think this is very important to help me understand and know."

Seek a Spiritual Director from your local Catholic Church. Yes, the Catholic Church. Come home,you are being called. Our Father is waiting for you and we here along sideof the Saints are praying for you.

Your unique way to serve God is unique. :wink: given your natural talents, skills and life experiences. If ones gifts are not apparent it is up to us to find them, we are all asked to:

Love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind, and with your whole strength; you shall love your neighbor as yourself.

To love God, our neighbor, and ourselves, we must keep the commandments of God and of the Church, and perform the spiritual and corporal works of mercy.
I am the Lord your God; you shall not have strange gods before me.
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
Remember to keep holy the Lord’s day
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not kill.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
You shall not covet you neighbor’s goods.
The Chief Commandments or Laws, of the Church

To assist at Mass on all Sundays and holy days of obligation.
To fast and abstain on the days appointed.
To confess our sins at least once a year.
To receive Holy Communion during the Easter time.
To contribute to the support of the Church.
To observe the laws of the Church concerning marriage.

:thumbsup:

Yes, that is EXACTLY what we are all called to do. Of course our lives would be easier if there was less sin, but that’s not how life on earth is, now, is it? Satan rules this world, so why do we expect Heaven on earth? Find a way to serve Jesus through your work - it can be done in any profession or job. Live like Christ and draw people to you, so they want what you have. Whatever you do, you will be doing a mission.

These are some really good answers. Thank you.

I think I will just work on getting better and finishing school. I think that should be what is worked on for now rather than even any concern for careers. Careers are a ways away anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.