Period Movies

Hi, Everyone!

My favorite type of movies are those set in an historical time period. I like them to have either a happy or an inspiring ending and at least one or two likable characters. Also, I would hope that the acting is fair at least, and the music track fits the setting. I love period costumes and settings, especially if set in Britain. Some of my favorite films are as follows: A Man For All Seasons, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Damn the Defiant, Captain Horatio Hornblower, Lorna Doone, Master and Commander, Scaramouche, El Cid, The Robe, Quo Vadis, Waterloo, Zulu, Pride and Prejudice, etc.

So would anyone else like to weigh in here and post their favorite films, why you like them, and what your favorite parts are?

God Bless,
Pearl of Tyburn

Love a good Jane Austen adaptation & just about anything set in a manor house!

Barry Lyndon, Dangerous Liaisons, Amadeus, Immortal Beloved

Chunhyang

@Catya: Who could help but love things set in a manor house???!!! :wink: Have you ever watched the Pride and Prejudice version with Colin Firth? I watched it at a friend’s house and really enjoyed it. I loved seeing the costumes, especially those brilliant scarlet uniforms!

The one thing that was puzzling was why were the red coats just hanging around town, going to balls, and running off with young ladies when Napolean was on the march threatening invasion? :shrug:

@itullian: I’ve heard of Barry Lyndon, but not the others. Could you give us the synopsis on them? Barry Lyndon was about an Irish soldier of fortune in the 18th century, correct?

@Cresentinius: Is the film you mentioned about Asian war lords? I’m afraid I’m not really a major fan of that sort of thing, but what was the plot of this one?

Have any of you ever watched a film version of Sense and Sensibility? If so, which was your favorite?

God Bless,
P.O.T. :thumbsup:

Amadeus? It was about big boobies as much as anything else.

Peace,
Ed

OK, you got some great ones on that list! I loved “Waterloo”, which I believe both Vivian Leigh and Robert Taylor thought was their favorite movie that they had been in.
I see you have the Russell Crowe film “Master and Commander”. How about “Gladiator”? Great costume piece. And “Scaramouche” which was just on TCM (any Stewart Granger fans out there?) What about the other Errol Flynn movies “Captain Blood” “Elizabeth the Queen” and “The Sea Hawk”? Now, if you are counting American history themes too Flynn did a slew of them, too!

Can’t mention Flynn without Tyrone Power, whom I think was the prettiest movie star ever! Watch “The Rains Came”, “Captain from Castile” (on TCM this week), “The Black Swan” and my own personal favorite “The Razor’s Edge”.

How about Bette Davis’ “Jezebel”, “Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex”, “Mr. Skeffington” and “The Virgin Queen”? And, once again, if you are considering American themes, she’s got a boatload of them! (Her “All About Eve” and “Now, Voyager” are up there on my favorites of all time list.)

Can you tell I’m an old movie fan? (And by “old”, I don’t mean the 80’s!)

Go grab the popcorn!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Mutiny on the Bounty

Amadeus is about Mozart

Dangerous Liaisons about playing with peoples romantic feelings

Immortal Beloved about Beethoven and his maybe lost love. heartbraking.

i liked Gone With the Wind and i enjoyed the Showtime series The Tudors about Henry VIII.

i love westerns and old movies with Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart. James Stewart,
Gregory Peck,

i also love movies set in England. I liked A Man For All Seasons, Beckett.

and, of course, i like movies like Ben Hur, Barabas, the Robe, the 10 Commandments.

i remember watching Brideshead Revisited. i rented it. it was pretty good, but i don’t even know which version i watched. it was good though.
[/quote]

Can’t mention Flynn without Tyrone Power, whom I think was the prettiest movie star ever! Watch “The Rains Came”, “Captain from Castile” (on TCM this week), “The Black Swan” and my own personal favorite “The Razor’s Edge”.

How about Bette Davis’ “Jezebel”, “Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex”, “Mr. Skeffington” and “The Virgin Queen”? And, once again, if you are considering American themes, she’s got a boatload of them! (Her “All About Eve” and “Now, Voyager” are up there on my favorites of all time list.)

LOL we named our son after Tyrone Power!

All About Eve and Now Voyager are near the top of my list.

But I just loooove Hitchcock’s Rear Window. I’m actually fascinated by it.

Should really change me username to TCM fan :smiley:

LOL we named our son after Tyrone Power!

All About Eve and Now Voyager are near the top of my list.

But I just loooove Hitchcock’s Rear Window. I’m actually fascinated by it.

Should really change my username to TCM fan :smiley:

With Dangerous Liasons, you’ll want the Glenn Close version.
I enjoyed the recent version of Brideshead Revisited. I’ve not seen the previous version.

i love Rear Window as well. Grace Kelly and James Stewart were magnificent. i like Thelma Ritter too. one of Hitchcock’s best!!

The 70’s version of Brideshead Revisited was a mini-series.

Last of the Mohicans
The Crucible

‘The Lion in Winter’ - Peter O’Toole and Katharine Hepburn are brilliant :yep:

‘Ivanhoe’, the version with Liz Taylor. And her version of Cleopatra, just for the gorgeous sets and costumes if nothing else.

There are way too many Henry VIII and Elizabeth I movies to name, I love just about all of them. Special mentions for ‘The Private Life of Henry VIII’, ‘Young Bess’, and ‘Elizabeth’ with Cate Blanchett

This is kind of obscure, but does anyone remember those French existentialist movies which were made after WWII?

Here is my favorite: Henri II (Paw de Deux)

It is subtitled, but don’t worry its only two minutes long

youtube.com/watch?v=Q34z5dCmC4M

Add a young Anthony Hopkins for the cast of Lion in Winter.

The Liz Taylor version of Cleopatra is a bit long for me – not to mention seeing a pre Archie Bunker Carroll O’ Connor as a Roman Senator.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.