permissible additions to the liturgy

how many of you like the participation of the laity in the liturgy, lay lectors, communoin ministers, choir members,? what about altar girls? or women performing the above tasks?

does anyone think this has benefits for the church.

the prevailing opinion i’ve seen on the forums that things starting going wrong with vatican II and the church is trending in the wrong direction in regards to these things.

and a lot of people just seem to tolerate because the church says so.

note: i don’t think any of these things are essential for the liturgy, the priest could do it all himself if he wanted. no one else has a right to think they are entitled to these duties.

comments?

Most people (especially the most devout Catholics) do not understand what the need was for V2. Yes, some of the things from V2 have been misinterpreted, but there was a need. Things were going wrong way before Vatican II. If everything was fine, then there would have never been a need to have Vatican II in the first place. Vatican II has helped the Church spread in Africa and Asia, plus in Carribean nations with a majority African population (i.e. Jamaica)

how many of you like the participation of the laity in the liturgy, lay lectors, communoin ministers, choir members,? what about altar girls? or women performing the above tasks?

does anyone think this has benefits for the church.

Before Vatican II, these roles still existed, but were performed by the four Minor Orders. The Minor Orders were: Acolyte, Exorcist, Lector & Porter.

The Acolyte & Lector still exist, but are now called “ministries.” One of the reasons the Chruch supressed the Minor Orders were because they could not find enough people to receive the orders. Before 1972, only canidates for priesthood could serve those roles.

Today, all instituted Acolytes & Lectors must be men. But women can perform the duties as non instituted. The Acolytes and lectors may wear albs. Personally, I feel that the lay lectors and alter servers should wear an alb. Also, I feel that the cantor should wear one too. I do not have an issue with altar girls, as long as they are not wearing jeans under their alb, nor sandals or sneakers (same with boys). There has always been lay choirs. Personally, I simply feel that everyone who is taking part in the mass should be wearing an alb.

When done right, they do benefit the Church. When done half-***, they do not benefit the Church.

note: i don’t think any of these things are essential for the liturgy, the priest could do it all himself if he wanted. no one else has a right to think they are entitled to these duties.

It’s better for the priest to have help. In the past, the priests always have many altar servers. The mass used to consist of the Priest (and/or Bishop), a Deacon, a subdeacon, an acolyte, lector & porter. So there was usually always more than just the priest.

Hope this is helpful.

God Bless.

thanks for the info. i believe you’re right, you have to do something when you just don’t have enough candidates for the priesthood. a lot of people think that allowing these lay ministry diminishes vocations, but i think the opposite. the positions were instituted because vocations were diminishing.

what do you think was going wrong before V2 exactly? i’m not from that generation so i hav eno idea

The participation of the laity in the liturgy is truly a good thing that can ever happened. Thanks God for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.