Perpetual Adoration, shorts, miniskirts, flipflops

Folks, is this now considered acceptable?

Six other people attended with me. Three men were wearing shorts, one woman a miniskirt, and two other women wore shorts. In other words, every single person I met at Perpetual Adoration, wore shorts or miniskirt. Guys also typically wear flipflops and remove those flipflops while sitting inside the chapel.

Does the Church approve of this?

It's not a good thing that people aren't dressed appropriately.

In some situations I think shorts are justifiable. I've been wearing shorts to mass this summer because it's 90+ degrees outside and my parish a/c unit is breaking down. I don't wear flip flops to mass on purpose but there have been times that I've been out and about and noticed that our Friday 5:20 pm mass is about to start and I go in with them anyway. When I'm wearing said flipflops I don't do any reading and I sit in the back so that my footwear won't scandalize anyone. My flip flops remain on my feet the whole time I'm there.

My normal summer attire when the a/c is broken: polo shirt, khaki shorts and closed tied shoes.

Try not to let other people distract you from the beauty of Adoration.

The fact that people are coming to adoration is more important than what they are wearing.
My parish in the Middle East has an adoration chapel. Everybody is expected to remove shoes before entering the chapel. This goes back to Exodus in which God told Moses to remove his sandals as he neared the burning bush, “for this is holy ground.” I almost always remove my shoes when praying.

Really? shorts and flip flops? I can understand mini skirts, but shorts and flip flops? It's 110 here, today. Does not bother me a bit. Although I do agree one should not take off the shoes in chapel.

People stop by the chapel all the time, on their way to run errands, after taking the kids to school, whatever.

I too, have "stopped by" often. I never think twice about how I'm dressed for stopping in to see Jesus. I make sure I'm dressed appropriately to be seen in public; for me this means shoulders covered, shorts are within an inch or so of the knee.

Now, if I will be going specifically to attend Mass or a scheduled event, I try to dress up, but not when stopping by throughout my day.

Sit in front, you won't be distracted by everyone.

Shorts (and miniskirts) are definitely forbidden for church - quote from Fr. Dominick Mary’s homily at a Mass broadcast by EWTN - see at 4:50 in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=PZHECJJbzPM

Quote:

One should not come to church dressed in shorts.

(Plus, I have seen at least twenty other homilies, articles by clergy, instructions at Catholic churches/shrines/pilgrimage sites, banning shorts and miniskirts. The above youtube video is just one example. See also the Vatican’s instructions, banning shorts and skirts above the knee in Vatican city.)

So, I wonder, is there a different dress code for “perpetual adoration chapel” than for “church”? Can something be inappropriate and forbidden for “church”, yet appropriate and permitted in the “perpetual adoration chapel”?

Folks, do we have any specific instructions from our priests, regarding specifically perpetual adoration?

And feet up on the chairs in front, water bottles being chugged from, whispered conversations, someone TEXTING! :frowning:

Most adorers are fine and devoted, but the exceptions just make me wonder sometimes. Certainly, our Lord is our Savior and friend, but He is also our JUDGE at the end of time. I take the advice that I heard form a Priest sometime back, and remind myself that I am coming into the presence of greatness when I enter the chapel.

I do not agree about taking shoes off in the chapel. I do it all the time when I go to Adoration. God said to Moses, “remove your sandals for the ground you stand on is holy.” I take my shoes off as an act of piety. I see other in my parish who do the same. I was watching a film on Mother Teresa’s nuns and they were barefoot adoring the Eucharist.

I will not comment or wonder about the clothes people wear to church, whether for Mass or Adoration since the priest administrator dropped in mid-Mass last Sunday, dressed in board shorts, moccasins and a sport shirt. He didn't bother donning an alb and giving out Communion. He's 64 and supposed to be an example to the community.

Aren’t we supposed to go to adoration to meet Christ?

So someone has just gotten some terrible news. Maybe they just got pink slipped from their job or they’re about two steps away from crawling back into a bottle. They need to spend some time in the presence of Christ. They should…what? Stay away because of how they’re dressed?

Seriously?

I spent the morning of my grandmother’s death in an adoration chapel. We’d been caring for her 24/7 for about a week. I’m quite certain I looked like a human train wreck. This was in June and there way no air conditioning at her home, so I am certain I was in shorts and sandals. I was unwashed, and my hair was probably not even combed. To a stanger I looked like I’d just come off a bender or something very close to it. But my granny was dead and I needed the solice and healing Christ offers, so there I was in that adoration chapel.

I wonder how many tongues I set a’wagging because of my appearance. The people who mentally made notes about my clothes and hygeine probably cared less about why I was there. To them, appearance trumps everything. Clean, shiny, well-groomed people love Christ and respect the Church, don’t you know; anyone who’s less than that goes to adoration just to ruin it for everyone else.

Even when I stop by a church for Adoration, I make sure I am dressed decently even if the weather is hot outside. I'd rather see someone wearing a plain short sleeved shirt and a pair of shorts reaching the knees for anything church related like Mass attendance, Adoration, Confession, etc that is not a ministry. I've not yet noticed people coming to Adoration dressed indecent. But I've seen my fair share of people line up for Confession especially on Saturday mornings looking like they just crawled out of bed or putting on something better suited to work in the yard. Its one thing if you look bad because you've been up all night with some ill or similar family thing, its another to do so intentionally.

I am having some uncharitable thoughts towards those who do ministries like reading or an extraordinary minister of Communion wearing sleeveless tops and/or shorts that don't even reach the knees as an example. I am not asking for a fancy/expensive outfit to be worn but some sense of decency & modesty is needed for both genders.

As an example, my aunt is a reader and a Communion minster at her parish, and she is to always dress decently & modestly when doing those things. She showed me a paper given to all those who do ushering, reading, Communion, cantoring etc. They are asked to not show up in things considered immodest and indecent which include revealing items, tight items, logo tees, tank tops, spaghetti straps, strapless, shorts that do not reach the knees, no denim/jeans, dresses and skirts must reach the knees for females, no tennis shoes, etc. Those who are on the list are asked to always dress decent & modest in case they are called on as a last minute replacement.

We have a perpetual Adoration chapel.

There are adorers who are signed up for an hour.

And there are adorers like me who drop in for short visits. Our Adoration Chapel is very busy and often there are a dozen or more people present for short visits.

It's really neat the way this works. We are going about our daily lives when out of the blue, we are "called" by the Holy Spirit to come away for a few minutes and visit Jesus the Lord. When this happens, I testify that I can literally hear the Holy Spirit "whisper" to my soul, and I've heard others say that they've heard the same kind of "whisper" to go to the Chapel for a visit.

We listen and say, "Yes" to the Holy Spirit and drive or walk over to the Chapel.

Interestingly, the Holy Spirit doesn't tell us to go home first, change out of our casual clothing or work clothing, and dress up.

It seems to me that we should allow the Holy Spirit to tell others how to dress when they are in the Presence of the Lord Jesus.

If the Holy Spirit has told someone to come to adore Jesus, but didn't tell them to dress up, then we have no business telling them, either out loud or in our minds, to "Go dress up first."

We need to give this issue to the Holy Spirit and ask HIM to convict His disciples about their dress habits.

And IMO, we need to trust the priest of the parish offering Adoration. If there is a need for a dress code, the priest will post this information at the entrance to the Adoration chapel or area. If the priest does not post any dress code, then we need to trust that the priest is competent and is responding to the leading of the Holy Spirit in his own life.

I agree with others who say that often, people come to Adoration in great distress, desperate for the healing Presence of the Lord Jesus. A few summers ago in our city, a little boy was drowned. I happened to be in the chapel when his distraught family, dozens of them, arrived in the chapel. They were definitely not dressed up, and they were definitely not quiet. It was probably the most meaningful time that I have ever spent in the Chapel. I was able to watch Jesus comfort these dear people who had suffered an awful tragedy.

Also keep in mind that many times, sinners come to Jesus, and these people will not always be dressed in modest clothing. This happened in the Bible, and it's still happening today. Again, we must TRUST that in His Own time, the Holy Spirit will talk to His disciples about their dress and modesty issues. But His time is not necessarily our time.

I could excuse the flip flops. Personally, I've been "sentenced" to flip flops for the last few months because of a toe/foot problem. I can't wait to wear regular shoes again.

Shorts, miniskirts - and TEXTING (oh my!) - and tank tops, bare midriffs, etc., definitely inexcusable.

The quote from Exodus is outside the Adoration Chapel of my parish in the Middle East. The parish recently held a 33 days of Adoration in which the monstrance from moved to a different location. The sign outside the door said, "Kindly remove shoes."
From the first time I came across these words while reading Scripture, it has been my habit to remove shoes while praying. It is indeed an act of piety and humility. I am much more open to the Spirit speaking to me with my shoes off than with my shoes on.

As others have also stated, while I take time to dress in my Sunday best for an Obligation Mass, I don’t worry about what I am wearing should I drop into a church for daily Mass or Adoration. Of course, modesty should dictate what we wear any day of the week.

[quote="po18guy, post:6, topic:289524"]
And feet up on the chairs in front, water bottles being chugged from, whispered conversations, someone TEXTING! :(

[/quote]

I think objecting to drinking water is a bit harsh. A few months ago I was quite sick, but not sick enough to excuse not going to Mass. I had to take a bottle of water with me because otherwise I would have spent the whole time coughing my lungs up and distracting those around me. Drinking water is much easier to do subtly and is less disturbing to others than coughing. It may well be an act of charity to the others in Adoration.

[quote="TigerKitty, post:12, topic:289524"]
I could excuse the flip flops. Personally, I've been "sentenced" to flip flops for the last few months because of a toe/foot problem. I can't wait to wear regular shoes again.

Shorts, miniskirts - and TEXTING (oh my!) - and tank tops, bare midriffs, etc., definitely inexcusable.

[/quote]

Don't be so sure people are texting.

My android phone has a ton of Catholic content on it, including the Divine Office, three bibles, readings of the day, rosaries, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and prayers in both Latin and English.

I take my phone to adoration. Using it is a lot quieter and less distracting than rustling through prayer books. Unless people are looking at me during adoration thinking, "He's texting!" But that's their issue not mine.

[quote="Luna_Lovecraft, post:9, topic:289524"]
Aren't we supposed to go to adoration to meet Christ?

So someone has just gotten some terrible news. Maybe they just got pink slipped from their job or they're about two steps away from crawling back into a bottle. They need to spend some time in the presence of Christ. They should...what? Stay away because of how they're dressed?

Seriously?

I spent the morning of my grandmother's death in an adoration chapel. We'd been caring for her 24/7 for about a week. I'm quite certain I looked like a human train wreck. This was in June and there way no air conditioning at her home, so I am certain I was in shorts and sandals. I was unwashed, and my hair was probably not even combed. To a stanger I looked like I'd just come off a bender or something very close to it. But my granny was dead and I needed the solice and healing Christ offers, so there I was in that adoration chapel.

I wonder how many tongues I set a'wagging because of my appearance. The people who mentally made notes about my clothes and hygeine probably cared less about why I was there. To them, appearance trumps everything. Clean, shiny, well-groomed people love Christ and respect the Church, don't you know; anyone who's less than that goes to adoration just to ruin it for everyone else.

[/quote]

I'm sorry about your grandmother's death. But to the people who looked askance at your appearance...:p

I'd rather have someone in Adoration half-nekkid than not at all. God can work on them about their appearance while they are in there with him, it's above my pay grade.

Posted in our FSSP parish bulletin just this past Sunday:

Appropriate Dress[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]: please be aware of appropriate standards of dress, especially as the hot summer months are upon us. Gentlemen (and boys) should be in collared shirts and smart long trousers, with shoes and socks. T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops and other such beachwear are most definitely not acceptable. Ladies clothing should be opaque, come up to the neckline and cover the shoulders and upper arms. Skirts should come down to at least the knees. Again, footwear should not be something worn on the beach. By apostolic tradition, it is appropriate for ladies to cover their heads (1 Cor 11:1-15). If you are in any doubt about what is acceptable, please speak to one of the priests.
[/size][/FONT]

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:16, topic:289524"]
I'm sorry about your grandmother's death. But to the people who looked askance at your appearance...:p

I'd rather have someone in Adoration half-nekkid than not at all. God can work on them about their appearance while they are in there with him, it's above my pay grade.

[/quote]

:amen:

[quote="Chatter163, post:17, topic:289524"]
Posted in our FSSP parish bulletin just this past Sunday:

Appropriate Dress[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]: please be aware of appropriate standards of dress, especially as the hot summer months are upon us. Gentlemen (and boys) should be in collared shirts and smart long trousers, with shoes and socks. T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops and other such beachwear are most definitely not acceptable. Ladies clothing should be opaque, come up to the neckline and cover the shoulders and upper arms. Skirts should come down to at least the knees. Again, footwear should not be something worn on the beach. By apostolic tradition, it is appropriate for ladies to cover their heads (1 Cor 11:1-15). If you are in any doubt about what is acceptable, please speak to one of the priests.
[/size][/FONT]

[/quote]

I like that mention in your church's bulletin. If more parishes would start enforcing basic rules of modesty and decency, reverence and respect for God's House would also return. Head coverings for females would be optional not mandatory (but I would have no issue if they were made that way again for both Mass forms). I do not ask for my parents' time frame where everyone dressed to the nines for Mass but there are times when I see certain types of things worn to Mass, etc that make me wish it sometimes.

[quote="triumphguy, post:15, topic:289524"]
Don't be so sure people are texting.

My android phone has a ton of Catholic content on it, including the Divine Office, three bibles, readings of the day, rosaries, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and prayers in both Latin and English.

I take my phone to adoration. Using it is a lot quieter and less distracting than rustling through prayer books. Unless people are looking at me during adoration thinking, "He's texting!" But that's their issue not mine.

[/quote]

I too take my iPhone to Adoration with me. I have the Breviary on my phone because I'm too poor to spend the $300+ for the new Latin/English Baronius Press Breviary. I try to hide it in my Missal, but sometimes it slides out. It's kind of annoying carrying around a purse of church books for those spontaneous drop-ins to Church. I have everything on my iPhone, but I think someone would throw a nutty if they saw me whip out my iPhone during Mass to follow along.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.