Perpetual Adoration

Does your parish have an adoration chapel?
If so, have you signed up for an hour?
What do you do with your time there?

Ours does but it is not 24/7. Threre is not exposition on weekend nights.
I have 7 pm Thursdays and I look forward to it each week.
Amzing how fast that 1 hour goes by just sitting there praying, reading, journaling, contemplating.

Yes, our parish has perpetual adoration. My hour is Sunday 10-11pm. I read e.g. Imitation of Christ or My Other Self by Clarence J. Enzler., I pray the rosary or read scripture. Sometimes I just sit and listen.

Hi Michael Mayo,

I was unable participate in the poll, no category for our situation. I thought, I’d add a comment.

We don’t have an Adoration Chapel, but we do have Adoration in the church every Friday morning, 9 AM to 12 PM. My hour is at 10 AM.

I pray my Rosary, sometimes I sit quietly, eyes closed, and talk with our Lord in my mind. I have a few booklets for Adoration with prayers, meditative passages, etc.

Once, I read a novel where the main character described Adoration. In a nutshell, she said, it felt like time ceased. I completely agree.

Yes, we are so blessed to have one.

Open from 7:00AM - midnight M-F
SAT - 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

I go on TUE evenings at 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM

My current parish does not have perpetual adoration but a parish in a nearby town does have perpetual adoration. I applied just today to be a scheduled adorer there. I am also considering switching my membership to this other church because the pastor is more outspoken about immorality and things of that nature. I want a priest who is not afraid to condemn abortion, "gay marriage", contraception, and other things that are sinful. Also, his homilies seem to have more substance to them so I am seriously considering making the switch. I am not saying that my current priest is a bad one, just that his homiletical style is not the type that I like the most.

Our parish doesn't have a perpetual one, but I go to a perpetual adoration chapel at another parish. I was so proud to be part of the founding group as a teenager of a perpetual adoration chapel in my hometown. I think it is great!

God bless,
Bryan

No. My parish only has adoration during Holy Thursday or other days in lent, not during ordinary time. :frowning:

I found on-line adoration. I am a caregiver for my mother in law and my husband is on call, so every week his work schedule changes from days to midnights, to afternoons. But I can visit the Blessed Sacrament through a Blessed Sacrament Adoration website for shut ins, the ill, and those who just want to visit with him more each day. The camera is set upon a glorious view and updates every minute. Although I am not there in person and it certainly is not the same, it still feels very Holy, and I feel connected. When I first open the link, I tell him hello, I stay in the room with the computer, and before I leave the room, I tell him goodbye and give him the same respect as if in person.

Ask your priests, but this site is maintained by nuns I believe…

savior.org/

We have one perpetual adoration chapel in the city here, and the parish I’m currently attending (the Cathedral) has adoration every Friday.

Our church is locked if there is no Mass going on. There are churches, however that are open during the day, and I love to stop in and spend a few minutes with Jesus in the Tabernacle. There is one near my work, and just about every morning before work, I can spend a few minutes in His Presence.

There is a perpetual adoration chapel at a school about 2 miles from my home, and I also try to get there when I can or when I need. Yes, time seems to stop or to fly by. Depending on your point of view, I guess.

My diocese has ONE perpetual adoration chapel only. Some parishes in my area will have adoration available on set days and times.

Yes, we sure do! We have perpetual adoration, and I just signed up and did my first hour “shift” this week! Wednesdays 2-3.

It was AWESOME! I was afraid it would “take forever” and be boring. But it was not AT ALL. I prayed a Rosary, then read a chapter from my book, Chesteron’s St. Thomas Aquinas. There were between 4-5 people in there during my hour as well, including our priest. l was so surprised to look at my phone and see that it was already 2:45, when I expected it to be maybe 2:30. It was so relaxing and calming. I’m so glad I signed up and wish I had have signed up sooner.

[quote="asia53, post:3, topic:288852"]
Hi Michael Mayo,

I was unable participate in the poll, no category for our situation. I thought, I'd add a comment.

We don't have an Adoration Chapel, but we do have Adoration in the church every Friday morning, 9 AM to 12 PM. My hour is at 10 AM.

I pray my Rosary, sometimes I sit quietly, eyes closed, and talk with our Lord in my mind. I have a few booklets for Adoration with prayers, meditative passages, etc.

Once, I read a novel where the main character described Adoration. In a nutshell, she said, it felt like time ceased. I completely agree.

[/quote]

Absolutely right! I really do think it is the work of God. I normally get bored pretty easily. But yesterday time flew by.

My home parish nor my Sunday Mass parish have perpetual adoration but there are many places in NY that offer adoration at many hours during the week.

There is one perpetual adoration chapel approximately one mile down the road from my home parish wherein the Blessed Sacrament is exposed all day and all night save for the Sacred Triduum. It is an oasis of peace and contemplation to adore the Lord in the midst of petition, anxiety in the hope of divine love.

My home parish holds adoration on Sundays between the afternoon Mass and evening Mass; on Wednesdays and First Fridays all day;

My Sunday parish holds adoration Sundays after Vespers for a brief period of time; on weekday afternoons until the evening Mass; and all night on First Friday evenings into Saturday Morning; All day adoration is also held for those praying the two thousand Hail Mary's all day on the Second Saturday of the Month.

May the Heart of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament be praised, adored, and loved, with greatful affection at every moment in all the tabernacles of the world even to the end of time Amen

Not only does my parish not have perpetual adoration, I don’t know of a place in the entire diocese that does. :frowning:

Nevertheless, at my church there is adoration every Friday evening for two hours. During this time, confession is available for those who desire it. I do not have a shift - I arrive before exposition and leave after repose. Our parish priest and senior parochial vicar alternate Fridays to expose and repose the Blessed Sacrament, and they both know I will be there for the duration so there is never a risk of Jesus being alone. Otherwise, people come and go (including the priests themselves, depending on how busy they are or whether anyone requests confession). I’ve seen some people only step in for five minutes while others stay an hour and fifteen minutes or so. On any given Friday evening, between ten and thirty people in total will come to adore.

My Parish has Perpetual Adoration and I am the guardian Monday 2am-3am. I absolutely love this hour and look forward to it all week. At such an odd time of the week I am usually all alone during this hour. It is a powerful experience to be alone with Christ in complete silence…its amazing the range of emotions I feel. Even my traffic free drive to my church is special. I have been doing this for 1.5 years and I can’t imagine that I will ever stop, it has become to important to my life and my prayer life outside of adoration has increased and I can see the fruits.

Yes, we have had perpetual adoration for 15+ years.

I go Sunday, 11:00 PM to midnight and am an hourly coordinator. If someone who has that hour on another day is sick or has car trouble, they call me and I call those on the substitute list or just go myself.

Actually, I go all the time. I usually pray Morrning Prayer from Liturgy of the Hours in adoration.

-Tim-

Yes,I am a commited adorer.Mon.2:00-3;00p.m. Typically I will begin my hour by reciting the Divine Love Prayer,which is a series of recitations such as"Eucharist heart of Jesus,I beleive in your Real Presence,and I praise you in union with all the saints and the nine choir of angels" Eucharist Heart of Jesus,I trust in you,etc…Then I will recite the Divine Mercy Chaplet,followed by the rosery.I would really like to get to the point,where I can sit and be still in Our Lord,somehow I feel I have to be doing something…:shrug:

No we don’t have it and quite honestly, I am glad we don’t. So I didn’t vote, there wasn’t one that matched.

We do offer Adoration on 1st Fridays. And it is like pulling teeth to get enough people to sign up.

For Perpetual Adoration, you would need at least 336 adorers. Plus people to organize it and run it. I know what it is like to get people to volunteer to bring in a batch of cupcakes for VBS. We would never get the people we needed for Adoration. :shrug:

Yes, it is a major challenge. Even at our large parish it is not able to be done 24/7.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.