Persistant Mormons

Ok, I have an issue here. I have a couple of gentleman who my grandmother invited it to the house (Mormons). Now, I am a very polite person, and sat through their lesson. They came back, and we talked some more.

Now, I know that I am in the church that Christ founded, and I have a very strong faith in that. But how do I present our faith to this pair? They really are quite persistant (I know I should have just followed the advice of my father to just shut the door on them the second time they came back, but like I said, I don’t like being rude. In fact, I feel that we have been brought together for some reason. That the Lord wants to use me to evangalize to these people, but how do I do this?

I have read all of the Catholic answers tracts on Mormonism, but how should I present these facts? Thak you for any help!

In Christ,
Dean

PS: No my grandmother is not a mormon. She is a Lutheran. So is dad. Step mom is a baptist, whoes son is a Baptist pastor. Creates for an interesting household. Interesting dinner discussions. Can’t wait to get my own apartment. :slight_smile:

[quote=DJMarshall85]Ok, I have an issue here. I have a couple of gentleman who my grandmother invited it to the house (Mormons). Now, I am a very polite person, and sat through their lesson. They came back, and we talked some more.

Now, I know that I am in the church that Christ founded, and I have a very strong faith in that. But how do I present our faith to this pair? They really are quite persistant (I know I should have just followed the advice of my father to just shut the door on them the second time they came back, but like I said, I don’t like being rude. In fact, I feel that we have been brought together for some reason. That the Lord wants to use me to evangalize to these people, but how do I do this?

I have read all of the Catholic answers tracts on Mormonism, but how should I present these facts? Thak you for any help!

In Christ,
Dean

PS: No my grandmother is not a mormon. She is a Lutheran. So is dad. Step mom is a baptist, whoes son is a Baptist pastor. Creates for an interesting household. Interesting dinner discussions. Can’t wait to get my own apartment. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

If you read all the Catholic.com tracts on Mormonism, you should have plenty of questions to ask them. Why not start with asking them about Mormonism’s contradictory teaching on the unity/multiplicity of God(s) and God’s immutable/changeable nature?

Print out the relevant tract (or tracts) for your notes:
catholic.com/library/Gods_of_the_Mormon_Church.asp

Catholic Answers also publishes a few books on Mormonism. One big (*Inside Mormonism:thumbsup: *), one smaller. If you want more, just type “mormon” in the Catholic.com search box to see This Rock articles.

I tried that one, but I don’t think that I display enough confidence in what I am saying, and they feed on that. Any tips on how to get around this?

When Mormons come to your door they do so with a set number of prepackaged lesson plans with which they are trained to gradually warm you to their religion. They start of with the warm and fuzzies, go through some basic info about Mormonism (leaving out the more controversial beliefs so as not to scare you off), then finally end up by trying to get a commitment from you. It is all very scripted and systematic. The trick is to be ready to address the material they present in their plan.

Catholic Answers offers a great book by a Catholic priest-turned Mormon-turned Catholic again that takes each of their lessons, shows what they will be presenting, and tells you how to refute it. It is called “When Mormons Call” by Isaiah Bennett and you can find it in the “shop” area of the main Catholic Answers page under “other religions and sects.”

Living in “Salt Lake City South” I can tell you from long experience that LDS are very nice people and they will do anything to help you out–until they find you’re not interested in joining up.

[quote=DJMarshall85]I tried that one, but I don’t think that I display enough confidence in what I am saying, and they feed on that. Any tips on how to get around this?
[/quote]

Your level of confidence shouldn’t keep you from asking the questions. Were they able to give a reasonable answer? I’ve yet to see one that could.

[quote=DeFide]Your level of confidence shouldn’t keep you from asking the questions. Were they able to give a reasonable answer? I’ve yet to see one that could.
[/quote]

As a matter of fact, no, they just kept avoiding answering my questions. Its as if they did not even hear me ask…

And I’ll be sure to check out those books that you guys have suggested!

Thank you thank you thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for. A blow by blow type thing. Thank you so much!

God Bless,
Dean

I would just start talking about MY religion - the Catholic faith and how much I love it and why. I Think the missionairies would be blown away because they think they live the truth. We should speak to them about our love of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit and our strong prayer life.

I sometimes feel that in SLC there is no one to challenge them so it would be good to let them hear something they;ve never heard about the Catholic Church. With patience and understanding.

Lord, please give your shepherd Pope Benedict XVI a spirit of courage and rich judgement. Knowledge and love.

[quote=DJMarshall85]As a matter of fact, no, they just kept avoiding answering my questions. Its as if they did not even hear me ask…

And I’ll be sure to check out those books that you guys have suggested!
[/quote]

Either they were being rude, or they were “sticking to script”. Get them off their script and get them to think by gently but assertively asking them to answer before they go on. You can keep asking just as long as they keep ignoring you.

Be courteous, but you should not allow people to just talk past you like some sort of taped message.

My observation is that both Mormons & JWs have a set patter. If you can throw them off their stride, they lose focus…They may even start to actually listen to you.
My favorite thing is that whenever they quote a Bible verse, I stop them, open my Bible & read the whole section. They are invariably quoting out of context. They lose their train of thought, & then you have your chance to share your faith with them.
Good luck, & God bless.

Why not just say “Sorry, not interested”?

LDS Missionaries are trained that when someone say’s no they must accept it and NOT return to the home (The LDS missionaries are often confused with other missionaries that make a real pest of themselves).

If you get an LDS missionary that is making a pest of himself, simply write his name down and tell him if he dosen’t go away and stay away you’ll call the Mission President (should be listed in your phone book, and if not, the Mission Office should be). If the missionary is making a pest of himself, simply report him. They’ll make sure he never darkens your doorstep again.

Rotations are becoming more and more frequent these days. Where missionaries used to stay in an area anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, they now rotate out every 3 months. If you tell a missionary to go away and a week or two later 2 new missionaries show up at your door, chances are they just rotated into the area and didn’t get the message.

You don’t have to be mean or rude to them. A simple “No Thanks” will suffice, but since we all have free will you will occaionally run across the over zealous missionary.

I know someone is going to come in here and absolutly refute this, making them out to be just like the Jehova’s Witnesses, but before you do, please be prepared to let me know when you went on your mission, and where.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]Why not just say “Sorry, not interested”?

LDS Missionaries are trained that when someone say’s no they must accept it and NOT return to the home (The LDS missionaries are often confused with other missionaries that make a real pest of themselves).

If you get an LDS missionary that is making a pest of himself, simply write his name down and tell him if he dosen’t go away and stay away you’ll call the Mission President (should be listed in your phone book, and if not, the Mission Office should be). If the missionary is making a pest of himself, simply report him. They’ll make sure he never darkens your doorstep again.

Rotations are becoming more and more frequent these days. Where missionaries used to stay in an area anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, they now rotate out every 3 months. If you tell a missionary to go away and a week or two later 2 new missionaries show up at your door, chances are they just rotated into the area and didn’t get the message.

You don’t have to be mean or rude to them. A simple “No Thanks” will suffice, but since we all have free will you will occaionally run across the over zealous missionary.

I know someone is going to come in here and absolutly refute this, making them out to be just like the Jehova’s Witnesses, but before you do, please be prepared to let me know when you went on your mission, and where.
[/quote]

Jo’s Dad is a Mormon, I believe, and so he might have a conflict of interest with his advice as he may not want you asking them tough questions.

[quote=DeFide]Jo’s Dad is a Mormon, I believe, and so he might have a conflict of interest with his advice as he may not want you asking them tough questions.
[/quote]

Oh, i definately want to ask the tough questions, which is the whole reason for this thread. :slight_smile: I think that I’ll meet with him once or twice more to see if I can make any headway.

I suppose one of the things that I shoould have thought of the first time: Pray for the grace to spread Christ’s truth…

[quote=DeFide]Jo’s Dad is a Mormon, I believe, and so he might have a conflict of interest with his advice as he may not want you asking them tough questions.
[/quote]

FORMER Mormon.

I have no problem with you asking the tough questions as long as you are honest about it and it’s not some sick game which you seem to be turning it into.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]FORMER Mormon.

I have no problem with you asking the tough questions as long as you are honest about it and it’s not some sick game which you seem to be turning it into.
[/quote]

I am sorry if that last post didn’t sound right, and I can see where you would get that. But for your comment I am slightly offended. In fact, myself and the pair that I am meeting with have made an agreement that we both feel we are being lead by the Holy Spirit, and would like to share our sides with the other person, in hopes that we can learn from each other.

Now I do realize that each side does think that the other will turn the other’s heart, but both sides also believe that it is their duty to share their truth and to lead a person to the one true Christ if they have the opportunity. Or am I wrong in thinking that the Mormon missionaries want to convert me, and they would just like to sit down for some friendly talks? Be realistic. In fact, I would not be suprised if they are researching on tough questions to ask a Catholic.

The whole thing is not a game. We both want to inform the other person of truth.

Okay, that’s alright then, but from the subject line and your question I misunderstood that you did not want them there but were inviting them in only to challange them.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

[quote=Fidelis]When Mormons come to your door they do so with a set number of prepackaged lesson plans with which they are trained to gradually warm you to their religion. They start of with the warm and fuzzies, go through some basic info about Mormonism (leaving out the more controversial beliefs so as not to scare you off), then finally end up by trying to get a commitment from you. It is all very scripted and systematic. The trick is to be ready to address the material they present in their plan.

Catholic Answers offers a great book by a Catholic priest-turned Mormon-turned Catholic again that takes each of their lessons, shows what they will be presenting, and tells you how to refute it. It is called “When Mormons Call” by Isaiah Bennett and you can find it in the “shop” area of the main Catholic Answers page under “other religions and sects.”

Living in “Salt Lake City South” I can tell you from long experience that LDS are very nice people and they will do anything to help you out–until they find you’re not interested in joining up.
[/quote]

It is my understanding that LDS missionaries no longer follow a scripted set of discussions. Rather they have a general outline they are to follow and are free to take the discussion where it leads within the allowed framework.

I take issue with your statement that “LDS are very nice people and they will do anything to help you out–until they find you’re not interested in joining up”. I live in Murray, Ut (in the Salt Lake valley), and am surrounded by LDS neighbors. They have always treated my family and me wonderfully. We have lived here 7 years and have always felt included.

Well this is my experience with two young Mormon ladies.

I let them in, my wife ran up the stairs and refused to come down until they were gone. :smiley:

They gave me two books to read and said they would call the following week, and they did.

So I asked them when there was a debate about which religion was the right one, was there any Catholics there ?

(Answer) we don’t know.
(q) How can I know what your saying is true ?
(A) we’ll pray to the Holy Spirit, and they did, I didn’t participate in the prayer.

(q) Do you want me to become a Mormon ?
(a) yes.

Well I said you can forget about me becoming a Mormon, I have no intention of leaving the Church, and will die a Catholic.

They said that the Church died out when the apostles died.

I said, “who told you that”

(A) we don’t know. :confused:

I said Jesus promised to be with His Church until the end of time, “Peter upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it”.

So how can you say the Church died off with the Apostles dying.

(A) -----look of confusion, and no answer.

Later on I reminded them of the words of Jesus again, when they insisted that the Church died out.

So eventually they got uncomfortable and I told them I would like to give them something.

I gave them each the Divine Mercy image, and welcomed them back, but they never did come back.

Pity, as they were very interesting to talk to.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]Okay, that’s alright then, but from the subject line and your question I misunderstood that you did not want them there but were inviting them in only to challange them.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.
[/quote]

Mine to. I think I came off a bit brash. That’s probably what staying up on CAF till 12:30 AM will do to you. :o

In Christ,
Dean

[quote=STIOFÁN]I said Jesus promised to be with His Church until the end of time, “Peter upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it”.

So how can you say the Church died off with the Apostles dying.

(A) -----look of confusion, and no answer.
[/quote]

I’ve mentioned the verse about Peter, and their response was that the church was in hiding. But that answer does not make sense does it? Or else Jesus would have said: “Upon this rock I build my church, and then it shall go into hiding for a time.” Also, what of their baptism by proxy? Is there any specific passage I can use with that?

In Christ,
Dean

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.