Person claiming to be pastor leaves waiter note: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?’

A person claiming to be a pastor apparently tried to stiff a waiter on a tip, explaining that their work for God absolved them of having to leave one.

news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/pastor-tip-receipt-155914258.html

While I do not believe that one is required to tithe 10% but instead that one should give an offering as generous as they can afford I do support this man’s right to exercise his beliefs according to his conscience. The Catholic Church teaches that we should obey our conscience but also that our conscience should be well formed. Where do you stand on this issue?

I do not believe that this was an exercise of this purported pastors religious beliefs or conscience. I view it as nothing else than brazen theft and mocking of the victim. Considering that gratuity was mandatory on parties of that size, I’d wish they had pressed criminal charges for theft. Granted, that could be more tedious than effective… but it sends a message…

I don’t like the idea of a mandatory tip as what if the service was terrible? If this actually happened and was not simply a ruse to criticize Christians and If the person was indeed a pastor he certainly wasn’t furthering the work of God by using his office in this way as it could only serve to drive people away from faith as opposed to bringing them towards it.

I agree with you on mandatory tips. I also do not think tips should be mandatory but then again, waitresses in such restaurants often have to live off of the tips and if they don’t get enough tips in a certain night because they were sick and couldn’t do her duty well she might not get enough money to feed her children for the week. So I guess you could say I am kind of on the fence with this. I think I would be okay with a mandatory tip so long as it was not required to be any certain percentage of the cost of the meal.

That said, I didn’t really think about what you said concerning the pastor and the note. You are right, such things are more likely to drive people away from God than to Him. Therefore I feel that what he did was wrong now. Also, he could always double his tithe for a week if he really felt that God deserves more than the waitress. Finally, when we are kind to others we are being kind to Jesus Christ. See the Bible:

And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. And all nations shall be gathered together before him: and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left. Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry and fed thee: thirsty and gave thee drink? Or when did we see thee a stranger and took thee in? Or naked and covered thee? Or when did we see thee sick or in prison and came to thee? And the king answering shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me. Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty and you gave me not to drink. I was a stranger and you took me not in: naked and you covered me not: sick and in prison and you did not visit me. Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen: I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.
(Matthew 25:31-46 DRB)

The term “mandatory tip” seems oxymoronic. It’s basically the price of the food and/or service, nothing to do with tipping at all. Just saying.

I hardly consider mandatory tip to be theft but the important fact in all of this is that businesses that employ waiters can pay them below minimum wage which on the surface of it is absurd. If restaurants were to be forced to pay waiters at minimum wage then that extra cost would of course be transferred to the customer but the customer would then have the option of not shopping there or not.

That being said, I think mandatory 18% is ridiculous.

If you can’t afford or do not wish to pay a tip, then STAY HOME! Everyone knows that waiters make about 2 bucks an hour and that they depend on tips for their livelihood. Unless the service is deliberately awful, then giving at least a 10% tip is the right thing to do. Don’t like it? Don’t go out to eat. When we decide to eat out, we factor in a tip as a part of the price of the meal. If we can’t afford it, we don’t go. Go to McDonald’s if you dont want to tip. What a self-righteous and totally uncalled-for thing to do. Waiting tables is the hardest job I ever had and I HATED every minute of it. I would be on my feet for 10 hours at a time, with no break (illegal I know, but restaurant managers often take advantage of the fact that their workers need the money, have no legal papers, or are willing to work for almost nothing). Sometimes I would be crying by the end of my shift because my feet hurt so bad or somebody walked out on the tab, meaning that I had just worked for 10 hours for free because I had to pay for it. And to use GOD as an excuse to stiff this poor guy? The only thing that is going to do is give actual Christians a bad name and drive people further away from Christ.

Also tithing is giving 10% of your INCOME to God, whereas the tip required here was 18% of the total bill for a single meal. The two are in no way related. What an ***.

I serve in a restauant. The base hourly pay is 3.60 an hour. When pay day comes, all vut six dollars is taxed (granted, the tax return is nice), but we really do live off tips. Please keep in mind that many diners who come in with coupons, reducing a 50 dollar bill to 38. They often then tip on the dicounted price. Often after sitting for an hour and a half. money can sometimes be very good other times and more often than not people are cheap. it did not used to be this way, but people have become more and more selfish over time. I am currently looking for a new job because people have become so cheap.

Also, bear in mind that large parties are becoming more and more consistent in not tipping. I have seen a couple of servers on multiple occasions, serve a party of 40 people who is generate a 200 dollar bill and then tip nothing or very little. the problem here is sometimes these large parties will sit for 2 hours or more and because of the number of guests the servers cannot take other tables. So, they end up spending half their shift taken care of very large parties that are very demanding and then gain nothing for it.

There was one time when we didn’t tip a server. The service was horrible, and we made sure that we told the manager why we were not tipping the individual. That way the it would be clear to the server that we were dissatisfied with the service, not just cheap. When I am feeling cheap I go to McD and eat off the dollar menu. No tipping required there.

Anybody who has worked in a restaurant (or any hard working person for that matter) should be an excellent tipper. This guy is a d-bag.

While I was laid off from my career type job, I helped out a friend who ran a busy c-store / gas station. Hardest I ever worked. Most of the employees were mature, competent and reliable and most only had that job to get by. Made me a democrat.

Restaurants will state on the menu when they have a mandatory tip (or fee if you prefer), by staying, you are accepting to pay it. It isn’t theft if you agreed to pay.

The “pastor” is, in my opinion, nothing but a low rent smart-alec.

Where is it in the bible “You shall not muzzle the ox that treads out the grain”? Guess this pastor didn’t read that part.

And what’s this 18%? I thought 20% was pretty much the base. :confused:

I’m not too taken with the idea of a “mandatory tip”. I would rather do it myself. But one suspects chiselers like this “pastor” have driven some restaurants to it.

It was stated on the menu that there is a mandatory tip for parties over a certain size. In fact, in most restaurants it is automatically added to the price.

By having a meal there with that sixe of a group, the person agreed to the arrangement. If you don’t like it, don’t eat there.

Pastor or no pastor — the person is a lowlife, and a cheap one at that!

I hate it when a restaurant imposes a mandatory tip. I really do. A tip should be earned, not expected. But with that said, this guy was IMHO a jerk with how he handled the situation and he does not have my support AT ALL.

It has to be earned, and it can be expected but by no means should it be standard. If I get lousy service there’s not going to be a tip. If’ its really bad I have no problem letting them know. I’ve also left tips that were 100% of the cost of the meal along with a note thanking the wait staff for the service.

If they are going to demand an 18% gratuity with every meal just raise the price of the food 18% and pay the wait staff a decent wage instead of springing it on a customer at the end of the meal.

I don’t mind tipping, or even mandatory tips…it seems to me that it’s already an unspoken social contract that, if you go out to a nice restaurant, be prepared to tip the waiter for the work and running that they do. Everyone’s gotta eat.

I’ve only not tipped once…it was a truly cruddy experience, the waiter has rude, the wrong order was brought out twice, yadda yadda.

I do think that restaurant employers should be forced to pay their employees a more reasonable, guaranteed wage…but then, it’d likely still be cheap labor with no real chance of raises or bonus (ie, a McJob), and I also don’t see the country standing up as one and refusing to go out to eat at restaurants in protest. I know I don’t. So, I tip, and as much as I am able.

I have serious doubts that an actual pastor would act that way. Seems more like a guy trying to be “witty”. :rolleyes:

In any case, in addition to being flawed theology, it’s also flawed math. You give God 10% of everything. You’re not tipping a server 18% of your income. He didn’t seem to balk at paying the restaurant 100% of the food and drink he consumed.

I wonder if he writes on his income tax return “I give God 10%. Why do you get 15%?” That would be more directly comparable. Something tells me the IRS wouldn’t let that slide. :stuck_out_tongue:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Sounds like the man needs a Sunday school class followed by a math class.

Is there a math god somewhere? :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.