Person refuses to shop at Hobby Lobby because of LGBT & pro-choice attitude

Hello.

During my clinical (I am in my last semester of getting my BSN) one of the group leaders told us students that she refused to shop at Hobby Lobby because they were against the LGBT community as well as contraception and abortion.

I didn’t know what to say to her that was charitable, but I didn’t think that she should have been promoting her agenda at a supposedly neutral public health facility. I was also angry at myself for not standing up for my faith in some way.

Any charitable, constructive thoughts?

I’m curious what the context of your discussion was that she would bring up this personal preference.

I refuse to buy tickets for certain movies because of the political views of the actors or if they might be prochoice and not prolife and I probably would not be afraid to voice that in a public setting.
I have a friend who heads the 40 Days for Life campaign at our parish and she has a list of companies that support Planned Parenthood and will refuse to do business with them.

In work situations, coworkers often chat among themselves about all sort of things which might not be directly associated with the work that they are doing.

Its certainly this young lady’s right to shop where she wants for this reason or any other reason.

You don’t have to respond at all, and you would be better served by not, you don’t want to get into an argument.

Don’t be too angry with yourself at not being able to come up with the right thing to say. Nursing tends to be a very pro-LGBT, pro-choice environment. People on the left are sneaky. When they inject their biases into your education, they do so in a way that’s hard to combat.

However, you could learn a few slogans which might help. For instance, next time, you might say, “Feeling biased today?” You might have said, “Opinions are like bellybuttons. Everybody has one, but you don’t need to show it off.”

Ultimately, the look on your face may have convinced some of the others about your concern. Also, in order to really change these organizations, you need tactics. You might go above her head and complain.

But your power as a student is very limited. The fact that you will have to be trained how to assist at an abortion, whether you like it or not, is one example. Conscience rights for health care workers are systematically being curtailed.

So, in a word, you couldn’t have done much that day. But if you’re dedicated to the cause, you can make it your life’s work to be a nurse and fight for religious freedom, freedom of speech, and freedom of conscience in your field.

It’s been “cool” to boycott Hobby Lobby ever since 2014, when Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. hit the Supreme Court. I still get friends in my FB feed who sigh, “Oh, I needed x for my craft project, and I totally hated myself for shopping there, because you know how they are, but I ended up buying it anyways. So I ended up donating [the same cost of the object] to Planned Parenthood.”

If you’re a student, be a student, keep your head down, work on your grades, work on passing your exams, work on getting a job. You’ll have plenty of times where you can stand up for your faith in a more profitable way than getting into an argument with someone who has no interest in hearing any other viewpoint. Just change the subject back to whatever’s actually on-topic, say a mental prayer for your group leader that God gives her the graces he most wants her to have, and get on with the business at hand.

It is my understanding that constitution of this country allows it’s citizens to freely choose where they would like to purchase their yarn. Or in the words of my grandma-in-law, “Well, whatever.”

Sometimes silence says more than any words you may conjure up at the moment…

I don’t shop at Hobby Lobby only because I’m not interested in their products.

I think that’s a little different.

If someone doesn’t go to Chick Fil A because they don’t like their sandwiches, its certainly understandable, regardless of their political or moral beliefs.

Hey I liked their rewards so it’s good in my book.

That is her prerogative. There is no reason to confront her. We need to learn to listen more, be kind and to respect other people.

I, personally, do not find that boycotts work.

If she was supposed to be teaching you when she made that statement, there’s no reason to encourage her to take even more time away from teaching to get into an argument.

But sometimes we do get exposed to these hit-and-run comments, that are totally out of context and we winder if we should have said something.

Why do you need to respond at all? It’s certainly her right to avoid shopping there. It’s a little weird that she felt the need to share this with students, but you don’t need to “respond”.

With the advent of more other than heterosexual couples on commercials, there is a great increase in legitimizing this world. Domino’s Pizza is also anti all this, but people still go. To dialogue one may ask "why are these issues so important to you; what else is going on.? Catholic are usually afraid to promote their “agenda” for afraid of controversy or not being on the “approved list” because of the current immoral mess that the church in the west is going through.

Maybe she was teaching at the time. In a health facility, a lot of the patients may have opinions that you disagree with strongly, but you still need to focus on their care. Ignoring the remark may have been the correct answer she wanted to hear.

You should have told her that Hobby Lobby is fine with her decision to not shop there.

Funny. I would be more prone to support businesses like Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A. And that’s because they took on the wacko left…and won!

Just ignore her next time.

Well, if I had won the powerball and the check cleared, I would have responded, “Gee, thanks for letting me know about their policies - now I’ll be sure to patronize them!”

Sad to say, I think the main concern is not “charity”, but whether speaking up at all would have negative consequences regarding your career.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.