Person refuses to shop at Hobby Lobby because of LGBT & pro-choice attitude

There’s a saying - “Remember, you don’t have to attend every argument you are invited to.”

Don’t beat yourself up for not saying anything, it’s probably for the best. She’ll never change your mind and you’ll never change her mind. Most likely in a work setting nothing good can come out of engaging her.

More hearts and minds are won with kindness than we can fathom :slight_smile:

Well since it was in a class situation and she’s the one that initiated the discussion it should have been perfectly fine, if you know the Faith, for you to bring up the teachings of Jesus and your Catholic beliefs. If she objected then just inform her that she was the one that started the discussion.

And there is nothing wrong with her not shopping there either. Besides his Pro Life stance, religious liberty is another important issue that President Trump is addressing and fixing from the harmful actions of the Obama administration.

Having said that, it was packed at Hobby Lobby today.

I work in a mom 'n pop art store and we get a lot of customers who refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby. I’d never had a need to shop there, but when we ran short of a certain type of sketch pad and needed some quickly, I got the opportunity to make my first and only visit to a Hobby Lobby since the atheist I work with who would normally run these type of errands refused to go.

I was excited to experience what a Christian business looks like.

Upon entering Hobby Lobby, I was first impressed by the large amount of cheap looking junk for sale lining the entrance to their store. They were piping in a Christian version of Musak. No words, but I recognized the tunes from contemporary Christian recording artists. Nothing else would identify this as a Christian business other than an occasional verse from scripture stenciled on a cheap looking piece of junk.

The other thing that first struck me about Hobby Lobby was the amazing amount of plastic junk they had piled in the store. I’ve only seen a few minutes of the show Hoarders, but what I saw there bore a striking resemblance to what I saw inside Hobby Lobby.

Though the store was filled with industrious, fresh faced associates not a one asked this obviously lost and confused old man if I needed any help. Instead, I made my way to the sketch pads noting prices of common art supplies along the way that were priced well above MSRP or what we offered for sale in our humble mom 'n pop store. So much for the myth that big box stores offer better prices.

I selected the sketch pads I needed, while continuing to be neglected by the sales staff that is until I reached…the sales counter! There, I was cheerfully greeted by an associate who eagerly directed me towards a cash register. An expeditious retail experience came to end when I offered to pay with a business check (my boss had called ahead to see if this was OK) where in it took an associate and her manager 10 minutes to accept our payment.

In the end, forget about Hobby Lobby’s religious or political beliefs, they’re just a lousy business.

Where I live, you can go to the “health” department and get contraceptives and condoms. I’m not surprised by that attitude at all. As for how to talk to them; I have a quick temper, so I’m probably the wrong person to give advice for this.

Then there are the stolen artifacts. In my way of thinking, that is not how a good corporate citizen behaves, let alone one that is very vocal about their Christian values.

How do you figure? If Hobby Lobby didn’t know they were stolen, and they returned them when they were notified, how is that not being a good corporate citizen?

Having read many accounts from many people, having family who know some of the attorneys involved, there is a strong case that the Hobby Lobbyists knew these artifacts were “iffy”.

You might choose to believe otherwise, that is your purview.

The best thing about free speech is that most people will tell you their beliefs without you having to ask! Likewise, you don’t have to respond, just a mental noted’ and move on to a glorious career in your chosen field!

AFTER you receive your grades from the registrar AND once you’re sure you won’t have that professor again…

I recommend no confrontation in a situation like that, but instead say that you shop at Hobby Lobby more than you otherwise would BECAUSE OF their largely traditional Christian values. After all, the leader brought the issue up. But, it sometimes causes more trouble than good if you try to argue too much with someone who won’t change his or her mind, anyway.

Never heard of hobby lobby but thanks! Now I know not to shop there

I don’t complain about their merchaindise. I actually love browsing through their decorations department and they seem to be the place to go for a simple, non-custom picture frame. My biggest issue is that not a single employee there has any idea what it is they actually sell. Other craft stores, even “big box” ones, seem to train their employees in how to make things and the basics about the products they sell. Hobby Lobby’s employees don’t offer to help you find something, because there if a very good chance that if you ask, not only will they not know where it is, they will not even know what it is. Also, they have no cart corrals in the parking lot and no one goes to collect the loose carts until the end of the day, so don’t go in your new car.

Focus on common ground. If the context ever becomes appropriate, open the discussion for handling patients with conservative views, especially on abortion and contraception. Big thing is bedside manner and respecting people’s values who are different than our own.

In fact, we should be humble about this as well. One can be pro life and interact with pro choices in a respectful light. We can defend life without condemning or demonizing those who are on the other side. Indeed, the pro life ethic is based on the dignity of all human persons. So we should be weary of the temptation to demonize them or to view them as projects who aren’t complete until they’re like us. Indeed, we need to recognize that all of us are on a journey. None of us have arrived.

You probably wouldn’t have shopped there anyways.

Doesn’t everybody pay with a credit card these days?

Talked to someone the other day about something similar. Starbucks donates money to Planned Parenthood and other organizations but if you’re just going there to buy coffee there’s nothing morally wrong with that. Still a bit confused. I guess if one were to intend an event that was purposely set up for one of those causes then you would be culpable.

Thank you for all the replies. I’m so glad & grateful that there are still so many people who care.

I never did say anything to her, so I will have to pray for her. I was kind of shocked though that someone would say what she said in an environment that allegedly promotes diversity.

Diversity seems to be defined as believing what I believe to certain sectors of the population…I agree with you and others, silence is often the best response.

Consumers are free to vote with their money anyway they choose. To this day, some people won’t buy Fords because of Henry Ford’s rabid anti-antisemitism. I shop where I do for my own reasons: bargains, free financing, and political issues. I don’t air my views in public because it’s not my job to convert others to my political views. I did confront one guy at my office for processing through our open office with a large cookie elevated like a host. I did it through the personal messaging. But I wish I had reported him to HR.

If the person violated company policy, report the activity to human resources.

Good luck dealing with this issue and God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.