Personal Reasons to Receive the Eucharist Kneeling

There was a thread recently about the reason for women veiling themselves in Mass which got me thinking, why aren’t there more threads whose only purpose is talk about the meaning behind a particular tradition? When a thread about traditions turns into a debate about either the validity or superiority of a practice of tradition it gets ugly all too easily. If, instead of focusing on comparing practices, people simply explain the reasons behind various practices in a non-judgmental way I believe it would really help encourage more Catholics to look into and embrace many traditions of the Church. If people are told they have to change their practices because there’s something wrong with them and they aren’t being “Catholic” enough it can really turn people away from some of these wonderful traditions.

So, to start off with one, why do some catholics prefer to receive the Eucharist kneeling? Please feel free to go into you own personal understanding of this practice and how you find it to be helpful with your spiritual life.

Mostly because that’s how it was done.

My personal reason is that I am taller and prefer to receive on the tongue. Kneeling makes this much easier for me and for the priest.

For me, kneeling feels and looks more reverent to me. When you kneel before someone, you are showing humility and submission.

When I kneel I acknowledge how unworthy I am to appear before my God and to receive him. How am I nothing without him.

And since I must add this disclaimer, here it is: I am not referring to the customs of the East - only the West.

Kneeling shows reverence. :slight_smile:

This is how I feel too. Another reason I receive kneeling is that I know this is what is done when the Pope celebrates Mass, so for me it is a symbol of unity with him.

I’ll respond with a question. When you receive the Holy Eucharist you are standing in the literal presence of God. That is of course if you accept that transubstantiation actually takes place. Why would you not want to kneel? That is the question that needs to be answered.

At least in my opinion.

Many people (eg the Apostles) were in the literal presence of God whilst they travelled with Our Lord during His ministry. Even knowing who and what He was (eg after the Reaurrection) they did not invariably kneel to Him.

I don’t imagine we’re going to spend all eternity on our knees somehow :shrug:

You have no way of knowing that for sure at the moment. You may be in for a surprise! :slight_smile:

I choose to receive kneeling because, as I attend a local Latin Mass about once a month and my normal NO parish the other three Sundays, I began to feel like there was a dichotomy between how I was receiving Christ one Sunday and differently the next. I wanted harmony between the ways I presented myself before my Lord in the Blessed Sacrament so I kneel in both places. I also feel that it is a more reverent way to receive, and felt moved toward kneeling.

I kneel for a variety of reasons. The first is because I see kneeling as an act of submission and reverence; I remember Romans 14:11 and think when I kneel and receive on the tongue I’m confessing my belief and praise to God. The second reason is because I want to make reperation for when the soldiers knelt and mocked Christ during His Passion in Matthew 27:29.

Because in my culture, western civilization/American/Hispanic, kneeling is a sign of worship/submission. In the same culture, to be fed shows you are dependent of someone or something. So I worship Jesus, hence I kneel and I depend on him like a child so I receive on the tongue. Just makes sense to me :shrug:

If you read the Gospels, throughout Jesus’ ministry they always question who he was even when they saw him walk on water because their hearts were harden. In the old testament when an angel would appear to someone they would always be struck with fear and awe, now imagine of Jesus appeared to you other than by the accidental form of bread/wine. I am sure that when the apostles saw the risen Christ they probably came close the passing out out of shock. Thomas doubted but when he saw Jesus what did he do? :slight_smile:

Scriptural accounts of people kneeling to Our Lord seem to be associated with acknowledging their sinfulness and unworthiness. For example, Luke 5:8

Which when Simon Peter saw, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying: Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

This resonates with my experience because that is what I feel when I kneel.

I kneel because it makes sense.

The doctrine of the Trinity was not developed during the time of the Apostles and in fact did not come about for many years later. I doubt that any of them knew or thought that Jesus was God in the sense that we now know him to be.

And in all actuality, comparing us to the actions of His hand chosen Apostles is actually treading on pretty shakyn ground.

And just how do you know that they didn’t kneel to Him?

Please feel free to go into you own personal understanding of this practice and how you find it to be helpful with your spiritual life. http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpg

Is this a trick question…you are receiving the Saviour, of course I am on my knees, I should be grovelling in the dust but the Lord spares me from doing so.

Lord, I am not worthy…

**Psalm 95:6 **- O come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! [public worship, reverence to and humility before God]

Matthew 8:2 - …and behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean”. [prayer, supplication]

Matthew 9:18 - While he was thus speaking to them, behold, a ruler came in and knelt before him, saying, “My daughter has just died; but come and lay your hand on her, and she will live”. [prayer, petition]

Matthew 15:25 - But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me”. [prayer, petition, supplication]

Matthew 17:14, 15 - And when they came to the crowd, a man came up to him [Jesus] and kneeling before him said “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic…” [homage, supplication]

Mark 10:17 - And as he [Jesus] was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life”? [homage, humility]

Mark 15:19 - And they struck his head with a reed, and spat upon him, and they knelt down in homage to him. [mock worship]

Luke 22:41 - And he [Jesus] withdrew from them [his disciples] about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed [worship, supplication]

Acts 7:60 - And he [Stephen] knelt down and cried with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them”. And when he had said this, he fell asleep. [petition]

Acts 9:40 - But Peter put them all outside and knelt down and prayed; then turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, rise”. And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. [prayer, invocation, petition]

Acts 20:36 - And when he [Paul] had spoken thus, he knelt down and prayed with them all. [public worship]

**Romans 11:4 **- But what is God’s reply to him? “I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal”. [worship, reverence]

Romans 14:11 - for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God”. [reverence, public worship]

Ephesians 3:14, 15 - For this reason I [Paul] bow my knee unto the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you …" [reverence, petition]

Philippians 2:10 - that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth [reverence, worship, homage]

Taken from Adoremus: adoremus.org/0402kneel.html

There are some really great answers here! I especially like this one

I had not thought about kneeling like this before!

Also, I realized I didn’t give my reasons for why I kneel when I can. Partially, I admit that it’s because what I experienced growing up, but beyond that, it is also because I found that through this posture it was easier for me to focus on the reality that I was receiving God Himself. So for me, while it is a sign of reverence, it is also a posture which helps me to focus In on the reality of the wondrous mystery of the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.