Personal responsibility and adopting pets looking for advice

Ok first off I have to say I love animals and would adopt them all if i could.

I recently as of Tuesday adopted a 2 year old Tree Walker Coon hound (hunting dog) from a shelter. She is a great friendly loving and gentle dog with great personality but she's got explosive energy requirements. I've been walking her about 4xs a day. For her safety I have to keep her kenneled in my apartment when I'm not there. Yes I have no yard. I'm begining to think this is the worst mistake I've ever made. She's been very good really except I don't think I can keep up with her energy requirements. I've been working on training her. She's well potty trained but on a leash she pulls really bad and is hard to control so at night and early morning when I walk her she constantly trying to pull away and chase after critters. I'm not blaming her it's her nature but leash training her has been really difficult. She also jumps at you in her excitement. She also wants to kill my cat.

I work two jobs and the last few days I've been really drained. I've only ever had cats. I'm going back and forth about my moral responsibility here. I'm attached to her but I don't think I have the best home for her with no yard and only a 1 bedroom apt but I did adopt her and do not take the responsibility lightly. I just need other opinions on this. I feel very conflicted about it. I don't what to turn her over the humane society either to have her put to sleep that would break my heart. She had a food allergy which may have kept her from being adopted but as I have a cat with IBD that wasn't an issue to me. Once you have them on the right diet they usually do well.

I guess I'm really looking for imput.

Get a Gentle leader for the pulling.

I trained dogs for 4-H and am somewhat of a behavior enthusiasts and can't wait to own a dog again. I can only tell you what I would do in this situation.

Your new dog is 2 years old - still a puppy in many respects, really. She may look like an adult, but has all the joy and energy of a pup. Not to mention she's a breed designed to run, and run, and RUN.

Training her is all you can really do, and start slowly. This is what I would do:

Get a choke collar for walks. A choke collar wears loosely on the animal and will constrict when they pull. Keep dog treats with you when you walk. When she pulls on the chain, it will constrict and make her uncomfortable and she will pull back. Any time she pulls back on her own or is walking without pulling, praise her and give her a treat. This part is going to take a lot of patience. As soon as she is manageable, remove the choke collar and go to her regular collar and continue to praise good behavior and ignore the bad.

Eventually, through age and training, she'll slow up and walk with you, rather than drag you along. I had to do this with my boxer. She loved her walks!

As for home life, continue to train! Praise her for good behavior, and punish bad behavior for extreme cases (like trying to kill the cat).

It's true that she needs a lot of exercise, but she loves you and want sto be with you! Show her love, keep her close and she'll be your best friend forever! Keep taking her for walks, but obedience training is for EVERY dog. :)

i feel your pain.

I'm begining to think this is the worst mistake I've ever made.

i soooo feel your pain. here's my expereince. we have a nearly 3/4 acre yard, fenced in. back then, during the time we we'd adopted our black and tan coon hound, our teen son was running 4 miles a day, at least!. and taking the dog with him every mile of the way.

AND we had 7 kids at home. all day.

the coon hound outran, outpaced, outneeded everything we did for it. 2 rounds of puppy training, socializing, and obedience classes-- nothing. a year of growing out of it. nothing. she was still a maniac. the trainer eventually said, "this is a hunting dog. she needs to hunt."

i started looking for a hunter guy to take her off my hands. it took a year to find that guy. during that time i sent letters to my neighbors apologizing for the barking, escaping, digging.

i finally found a genuine a coon hunter who worked in a nearby outdoor enthusiast mega-store. he took the dog. it really was a LOVE connection. i kept up with them for a while. his adult daughter told me he was hunting the dog 300 nights a year. the dog slept all day.

wh-wh-wh-wh-what??

i didnt give her back to the humane society because i thought they'd adopt her to yet another unsuspecting family as myself. she was a nice dog. i didnt want her to get ruined by cycling and recycling through the adoption process. it would have been unfair to a nice dog. so we kept her till the right guy came along.

start sending info to the nearest outdoor enthusiat store. your dog needs to hunt. NEEDS to.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:1, topic:216951"]
Ok first off I have to say I love animals and would adopt them all if i could.

I recently as of Tuesday adopted a 2 year old Tree Walker Coon hound (hunting dog) from a shelter. She is a great friendly loving and gentle dog with great personality but she's got explosive energy requirements. I've been walking her about 4xs a day. For her safety I have to keep her kenneled in my apartment when I'm not there. Yes I have no yard. I'm begining to think this is the worst mistake I've ever made. She's been very good really except I don't think I can keep up with her energy requirements. I've been working on training her. She's well potty trained but on a leash she pulls really bad and is hard to control so at night and early morning when I walk her she constantly trying to pull away and chase after critters. I'm not blaming her it's her nature but leash training her has been really difficult. She also jumps at you in her excitement. She also wants to kill my cat.

I work two jobs and the last few days I've been really drained. I've only ever had cats. I'm going back and forth about my moral responsibility here. I'm attached to her but I don't think I have the best home for her with no yard and only a 1 bedroom apt but I did adopt her and do not take the responsibility lightly. I just need other opinions on this. I feel very conflicted about it. I don't what to turn her over the humane society either to have her put to sleep that would break my heart. She had a food allergy which may have kept her from being adopted but as I have a cat with IBD that wasn't an issue to me. Once you have them on the right diet they usually do well.

I guess I'm really looking for imput.

[/quote]

The first two who replied to your post have good ideas. Please keep her or if you have to give her to someone with land who will also love her. I do not live in the US so can't say much about coon hounds as a breed but I know dogs. Their priority is showing love and being loved. I have a 3 year old Alsation/German Shepherd who thinks she is still a puppy. I have had many german shepherds but this one goes on and on. She never stops though she has land to run around and another dog and her humans to play with. She can be exasperating but we love her and she definitely loves us. Give it time. Please do not give her to a hunter. She does not need to hunt.

I am sorry to say that you brought home a breed which is not designed for apartment life. It is not good for you or for the dog. Find a better home for the dog and a better dog for your home.

Well last night the dog almost killed my cat who I've been keeping in the bedroom all this time. I have to go in and out to take care of him a few times a day. Plus my clothes are in there. Well the dog went balistic again wined all night no matter how I tried to distract him or how firm I was with no. She managed to get by me and within a few inches of the cat. She probably would have killed or at least seriously hurt the cat if I hadn't grabbed her in time. Since then it's been impossible to get into the bedroom with out the dog trying to manuever past me which she is good at. When I put her in the crate and she knows I'm in the other room she barks continually really loud. I had to put the dog outside in my car to beable to go in my bedroom and take care of the cat. To make things worse when I got the dog calm again and distracted with a chewy the cat started crying and then the dog went balistic again...so night 3 with hardly any sleep. I've decided to take her back for my cats safety. The cat has to take priority because he's 13 years old has IBD and only likes me so I can't see him being adoptable plus he been with me all his life. I also think the dog needs more attention, training and space then I can give her. I've probably been walking her at least 2.5 to 3 hours a day and that hasn't been enough. :-( Unfortunately I don't have a year and wouldn't beable to get one. I don't know of anyone who hunts or has a lot of land either. I been praying vigilantly that God will find her a good home I just don't think I can give her that. :eek:

please tell the humane society to ONLY adopt that dog to an outdoorsman. tell them to specifically post an adoption note on the nearest outdoor enthusiast store (even if it's a hundred miles away.)

that poor dog will be adopted a dozen times if they dont. they were wrong and irresponsible to adopt a hunting dog to an apartment dweller-- with a cat!!!

better yet, call the nearest walker tree coon rescue and tell them the poor dog is in the shelter. they will go pick her up.

[quote="monicatholic, post:8, topic:216951"]
please tell the humane society to ONLY adopt that dog to an outdoorsman. tell them to specifically post an adoption note on the nearest outdoor enthusiast store (even if it's a hundred miles away.)

that poor dog will be adopted a dozen times if they dont. they were wrong and irresponsible to adopt a hunting dog to an apartment dweller-- with a cat!!!

better yet, call the nearest walker tree coon rescue and tell them the poor dog is in the shelter. they will go pick her up.

[/quote]

I live next to such a store and stopped in during lunch to ask it they know of any rescue organizations in Mo for hunting dogs. Nothing. I also checked the net and all you get is pet finder with nothing but humane society and shelter listings for general dogs. Not sure what else I can do. I even checked craigslist and saw another ad for a Tree Walker Coon hound looking for a home. I wouldn't trust craigslist.com anyhow but it was still interesting that apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. I honestly thought with avid walking the dog would be ok. I can't tell you how bad I feel about all this. She's still going balistic about the cat. I don't see that changing. :rolleyes:

When you adopt an animal from a shelter, most shelters state in the contract that if you're not able to keep the animal, you're required to return it to the shelter (rather than adopt it out to someone else).

A reputable shelter would not have adopted this type of dog to an apartment dweller. Some rescues require adopters to have a fenced in yard, and will even do a home visit to confirm this..

My personal opinion is that a home where the caregiver works 2 jobs is not an optimal home for a dog. Dogs are a lot of work, and need a lot of attention. My suggestion is to contact the shelter and a breed rescue, maybe if a rescue offers to take the dog the shelter will release you from the contract and allow the dog to go to the rescue instead.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:7, topic:216951"]
Well last night the dog almost killed my cat who I've been keeping in the bedroom all this time. I have to go in and out to take care of him a few times a day. Plus my clothes are in there. Well the dog went balistic again wined all night no matter how I tried to distract him or how firm I was with no. She managed to get by me and within a few inches of the cat. She probably would have killed or at least seriously hurt the cat if I hadn't grabbed her in time. Since then it's been impossible to get into the bedroom with out the dog trying to manuever past me which she is good at. When I put her in the crate and she knows I'm in the other room she barks continually really loud. I had to put the dog outside in my car to beable to go in my bedroom and take care of the cat. To make things worse when I got the dog calm again and distracted with a chewy the cat started crying and then the dog went balistic again...so night 3 with hardly any sleep. I've decided to take her back for my cats safety. The cat has to take priority because he's 13 years old has IBD and only likes me so I can't see him being adoptable plus he been with me all his life. I also think the dog needs more attention, training and space then I can give her. I've probably been walking her at least 2.5 to 3 hours a day and that hasn't been enough. :-( Unfortunately I don't have a year and wouldn't beable to get one. I don't know of anyone who hunts or has a lot of land either. I been praying vigilantly that God will find her a good home I just don't think I can give her that. :eek:

[/quote]

AGH Sounds exactly like my situation. My sister in law decided to buy us a dog as a wedding present!!!!!! :eek: She meant well b/c my husband has always wanted a dog of his own and he LOVES dachshunds for whatever reason. Well we got a 3 yr old short hair who is absolutely beautiful. He wants to kill my cats!!!!! I am constantly at war with him, keeping them in separate rooms. I used to be really close to my cats b/c they LOVE to snuggle and are very affectionate. If I leave the dog to go spend time with them, he goes nuts and rips the carpet or doors to shreads. He is the biggest handful EVER! Another problem is that he is very jealous. I was holding my new born nephew and he tried to attack the baby! I told my husband that we need to find him a better home, especially if we want children. I'm the one that gets stuck taking care of the dog and I hate it b/c I dont't like dogs. My husband just throws back at me, well I hate cats so you have to get rid of them. My cats aren't the problem.

Hopefully I can convince him to find another home for the dog. I have had more than I can take. You need to find a family that hunts or has a big farm! Your dog would be very happy there. She can chase the squirrels and rabbits all she wants and be in heaven :D

[quote="Squeakmew, post:10, topic:216951"]
When you adopt an animal from a shelter, most shelters state in the contract that if you're not able to keep the animal, you're required to return it to the shelter (rather than adopt it out to someone else).

A reputable shelter would not have adopted this type of dog to an apartment dweller. Some rescues require adopters to have a fenced in yard, and will even do a home visit to confirm this..

My personal opinion is that a home where the caregiver works 2 jobs is not an optimal home for a dog. Dogs are a lot of work, and need a lot of attention. My suggestion is to contact the shelter and a breed rescue, maybe if a rescue offers to take the dog the shelter will release you from the contract and allow the dog to go to the rescue instead.

[/quote]

Actually I was planning on taking her back on Sat. I thought I would try it one more night just to see if I can get her to forget about the cat. I have to work today anyway and the shelter is about a 50 minute drive away. I'll certainly see if they will let me work with them to find her a good home with a family or a hunter who needs a dog. I'll keep praying for her too.

I would be lery to bring the dog back to a shelter, too. This dog dosn't get along with the cat and many shelters purposly ignore things like this.

Your dog sounds bored.

Dogs like jobs. I disagree that they HAVE to hunt. But I firmly believe that any dog with any bit of intellegence needs a "job".

Do you have things to train you dog for a task? You can train him to sniff for people or objects.

I had a JRT. Smartest dog that ever existed. She had a ton of energy to burn but that wasn't the point. She needed mental stimulation. When she was board she was a notorious excape artist and trouble maker. She once scaled a 20 foot chain link fence. She also climbed a drainpipe to a low house and sat on the roof. She just got into ALL sorts of trouble. Fast forward to when I owned her. I trained her to do every trick in the book. I wasn't home that often but I worked with her when I did. She turned around. (although she was still a notorious cat hunter).

Point being. Sometimes it's not a dog's energy but his/her focus. I had a german shepard as a kid and that was a great dog. So I adopted a wiry german shepard mutt. I thought she'd be smart. Thought. I've never had a dog so stupid. It is afraid of birds, mice...etc. She dosn't like the dark. I've had her for two years. She had learned Sit, come and stay(sort of). She likes her crate, she never gets into things and when she has energy she runs in circles and then goes to sleep. She gets hyper excited when she sees people so I have to work on that...but still. Not bright, not hyper. Perfect 40 apartment dog.

Also look into a local dog park or even do a day of dog day care every now and then. I found a place that did it for $12 a day. For my JRT it was worth it, for my shepard...well...they told me she slept most of the time...so not worth it. But good to look into.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:13, topic:216951"]
I I adopted a wiry german shepard mutt. I thought she'd be smart. Thought. I've never had a dog so stupid.

[/quote]

:rotfl:Sounds like my German Shepherd/Border collie mix! I thought he would be the smartest dog around because those two breeds are supposed to be the most intelligent, but he's as dumb as a rock!

Also look into a local dog park or even do a day of dog day care every now and then. I found a place that did it for $12 a day. For my JRT it was worth it, for my shepard...well...they told me she slept most of the time...so not worth it. But good to look into.

I agree! My neighbor takes his dog to doggie day camp every tuesday and she LOVES it. She runs around all day and comes home tired and happy. It's a great way to get rid of some energy.
You should also look into local dog parks. There are a couple in my area, and one of them is free.

As crazy as it may sound, maybe you should consider getting another dog to play with her and keep her company all day. My husband and I have two energetic shepherd mixes, and getting the second one helped immensely with the first one's behavior problems. They play ALL day together so their energy doesn't go towards destroying the house and they are never bored.

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:14, topic:216951"]
:rotfl:Sounds like my German Shepherd/Border collie mix! I thought he would be the smartest dog around because those two breeds are supposed to be the most intelligent, but he's as dumb as a rock!

[/quote]

She's a German Shepard (maybe a varient) and Basenji. Two dogs noted for their loyality, agility and intellegence. Just about everything she's not. (She once ran into my leg as she did her mad circles around the yard....becuase she didn't see me, I guess).

Did yours take a while to train? And how is he about greeting people? It took MONTHS for "sit" and "come". I have no idea how to teach a dog like her. My JRT knew 50 tricks and had over 100 word vocabulary if you include the fact she knew the difference between her toys (buzzy bear, kitty, tennis ball, rubber ball, etc). I could play red light/green light with her! When she was at home during the day she operated the radio (on/off) on her own. My (parents) german shepard knew probably 20 commands and also had a decent vocabulary. This dog LITERALLY knows sit, come and food that's ALL.:eek::rolleyes:

[quote="purplesunshine, post:13, topic:216951"]
I would be lery to bring the dog back to a shelter, too. This dog dosn't get along with the cat and many shelters purposly ignore things like this.

Your dog sounds bored.

Dogs like jobs. I disagree that they HAVE to hunt. But I firmly believe that any dog with any bit of intellegence needs a "job".

Do you have things to train you dog for a task? You can train him to sniff for people or objects.

I had a JRT. Smartest dog that ever existed. She had a ton of energy to burn but that wasn't the point. She needed mental stimulation. When she was board she was a notorious excape artist and trouble maker. She once scaled a 20 foot chain link fence. She also climbed a drainpipe to a low house and sat on the roof. She just got into ALL sorts of trouble. Fast forward to when I owned her. I trained her to do every trick in the book. I wasn't home that often but I worked with her when I did. She turned around. (although she was still a notorious cat hunter).

Point being. Sometimes it's not a dog's energy but his/her focus. I had a german shepard as a kid and that was a great dog. So I adopted a wiry german shepard mutt. I thought she'd be smart. Thought. I've never had a dog so stupid. It is afraid of birds, mice...etc. She dosn't like the dark. I've had her for two years. She had learned Sit, come and stay(sort of). She likes her crate, she never gets into things and when she has energy she runs in circles and then goes to sleep. She gets hyper excited when she sees people so I have to work on that...but still. Not bright, not hyper. Perfect 40 apartment dog.

[/quote]

All the dog parks in my area charge fees and are not very close plus with dog expenses thus far my budget is maxed out for the moment. Given that she been getting brisk walks and lots of time at the park to run on a 30ft least I don't see the dog parks would be much help.

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:14, topic:216951"]
:rotfl:

As crazy as it may sound, maybe you should consider getting another dog to play with her and keep her company all day. My husband and I have two energetic shepherd mixes, and getting the second one helped immensely with the first one's behavior problems. They play ALL day together so their energy doesn't go towards destroying the house and they are never bored.

[/quote]

I live in an apartment which only allows two animal per unit. She is my second animal.

The dog is a coon hound. This breed is not like the breeds that most people are familiar with. She will NEVER be a good apartment dog. That dog lives only to pick up a scent and track an animal. She does that better than any other breed!

The people who own these dogs keep them penned until it is time to hunt. The dogs will not walk on a leash or stay in a yard. They only want to track. They are a very unique breed.

I'm normally for people sticking to their commitments with animals, but something like this just isn't going to right itself. A dog of this type of breed needs something to do. It won't get better over time, it will only get worse as she gets more frustrated.

So I agree that she should go back to the shelter you got her from. If you decide to get a different dog at some point, just make sure you research the breed first. You can easily find things online that tell you the energy requirements of dogs. Most small breed dogs are better suited for apartment living, but some large breed dogs will do okay too.

I have an Irish Setter lab mix and as a puppy she needed more work since I lived in an apartment with no yard. Walks every day, play time at the park or dog park and stimulation from toys inside the apartment were a must. Now as she's gotten older, she's better.

[quote="MtnDwellar, post:18, topic:216951"]
The dog is a coon hound. This breed is not like the breeds that most people are familiar with. She will NEVER be a good apartment dog. That dog lives only to pick up a scent and track an animal. She does that better than any other breed!

The people who own these dogs keep them penned until it is time to hunt. The dogs will not walk on a leash or stay in a yard. They only want to track. They are a very unique breed.

[/quote]

I agree I've only had her a few days but I've seen from how she is outside that her nature is all about hunting and tracking each scent to it's source. :-(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.