"Personality" of the Holy Spirit

In reading the bible, one gets a sense of the “personsality” (for lack of a better term) of the Father and the Son, but I find it much more difficult to get a sense of the personality of the Holy Spirit.

Any thoughts?

[size=2]Is this what you had in mind?
3But Peter said, “Anani’as, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the land? 4While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? How is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.” (Acts 5:3-4)
30[/size]And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. (Ephesians 4:30)

Acts 2:2-4

**2 And suddenly a sound came from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared to them tongues as of fire, distributed and resting on each one of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. **

I think the Holy Spirit is very pro-active. It is God in action in the world. It affects emotions and spurs the human heart towards what is good and right. It helps bring about Gods Kingdom through action.

[quote=mark a]In reading the bible, one gets a sense of the “personsality” (for lack of a better term) of the Father and the Son, but I find it much more difficult to get a sense of the personality of the Holy Spirit.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I am right there with you. In my mind I have a “feel” (for lack of a better word) for the Father, even though I have never had a mental “picture” (never did quite have the old man with a beard look in my head…more like an abstract feeling sort of concept). I see him as powerful, sure of himself because he actually does know everything, with the confidence that comes from not ever needing to prove himself(omnipotence can do that :slight_smile: ), good, fair and infinitely patient with us idiots.
To me, Jesus is of course more human…He feels with us…a loving brother, gentle, a wonderful teacher,and the best of friends,and I get the impression of a sense of humor. To me He is truly love incarnate.
Both sharing in their “Godness” yet distinct personalities.
And then we come to the Holy Spirit. I’m sorry, but the bird image just doesn’t get it for me. I struggle with any sort of a feel or image …He truly seems like a Ghost to me. It really bothers me that He seems such a stanger to me.

I’m reminded of “If you have seen me, you have seen the Father.”

We know the personality of the Holy Spirit based on how He manifests Himself through the people he acts through!

He’s very loving, very gentle, but at the same time firm and passionate. He’s also really quirky. Likes telling jokes and teasing those He loves.

WHo have you seen the HS acting through? Pope John Paul 2. Mother Angelica. Fr. Stan Fortuna. All those who live off the power of the Holy Spirit, they reveal to us who He is.

Josh

A slightly odd description by my standards.

well, I have always experienced the Holy Spirit as the member of the “Family” with the most sense of humor, as I related in the “have you heard from God lately” thread. He is kind of the “Martha” of the Blessed Trinity, doing the action without a lot of attention or credit paid to Him.

[quote=Magicsilence]A slightly odd description by my standards.
[/quote]

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.
As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts. Is 55:8-9

:smiley:

[quote=mark a]In reading the bible, one gets a sense of the “personsality” (for lack of a better term) of the Father and the Son, but I find it much more difficult to get a sense of the personality of the Holy Spirit.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God… Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Romans 8:16, 26)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 5:22-3)
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22, and see following message at each point)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.