Perspective of working and money

Hi All,

I’m looking for an Catholic perspective on working and earning a living ?.

What does Bible and the Church (both who God has given us) teach about working and money ?. I’m looking for some verses to help me against laziness in order to find some positive motivation in working again.

I am struggling to find motivation to work!, a quick summary of me is I have graduated with a degree in Construction and have worked in the construction industry for 7 years. However, I have taken some time off to have a break.

I have hit a breakwall and feel like doing absolutely nothing with my self apart from trivial and idle activities, whether it be with friends, family or on my own. I just don’t want anything to do with working for some reason .

Can you anyone help me snap out of it, I’d really like to know what the God and the Church teach about this, I personally believe it leads to laziness or sloth which is a grave sin is that right ?.

It isn’t depression cause I still enjoy doing everything else apart from working and I get the impression of working being pointless for some reason :S what on earth is wrong with me :shrug:, I only started thinking like that after reading Ecclesiastical 1, is everything really really pointless in this life ?

Maybe I have psychologically linked to money as being completely evil thus working = money = evil ?.

Thanks in advance.

2 Thes.

Only, brethren, we charge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to have nothing to do with any brother who lives a vagabond life, contrary to the tradition which we handed on;[2] 7 you do not need to be reminded how, on our visit, we set you an example to be imitated; we were no vagabonds ourselves. 8 We would not even be indebted to you for our daily bread, we earned it in weariness and toil, working with our hands, night and day, so as not to be a burden to any of you; 9 not that we are obliged to do so, but as a model for your own behaviour; you were to follow our example. 10 The charge we gave you on our visit was that the man who refuses to work must be left to starve. 11 And now we are told that there are those among you who live in idleness, neglecting their own business to mind other people’s. 12 We charge all such, we appeal to them in the Lord Jesus Christ, to earn their bread by going on calmly with their work.

How do you pay your bills if you don’t work?

The fact is, unless you are independantly wealthy, you have to earn a living. In Thessalonians 4:10b-12, St. Paul writes: Nevertheless we urge you, brothers, to progress even more, and to aspire to live a tranquil life, to mind your oiwn affairs, and to work with your [own] hands, as we instructed you, that you may conduct yourselves properly toward outsiders and not depend on anyone. And in 2 Thessalonians he writes: For you know how one must imitate us. For we did not act in a disorderly way among you, nor ded we eat food received free from anyone. On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day we worked, so as not to burden any of you…In fact, when we were with you, we instructed you that if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat. (2 Thessalonians 3:7-8,10)

It’s clear from just these two passages that the Bible is full of instruction that it is necessary that one work for one’s livelihood. Jesus himself learned the carpenter’s trade before he took up preaching. It was only for the last 3 years of his life that he didn’t earn his living through a trade. Even then, he did the work of the ministry and others supported him in his work. There are all kinds of writings in the Catechism on th esupject and also John Paul II wrote on the dignity of work.

Perhaps God is trying to lead you in a different direction. Since you are (seemingly) in between jobs right now with plenty of time on your hands, if at all possible I would recommend considering spending time in Adoration just quietly listening to God to determine how he is wanting you to earn your living next, and whether or not he wants you to continue to practice your trade, or move into a different field of employment. Perhaps God is teaching you the dignity of work and showing you how our work honors him and serves a greater purpose than just enabling us to make money. Perhaps he is teaching you also how to use money for more than just your needs, but teaching you what amonunt you need to live on, which then means you have a greater awareness of how much you can give to those in need.

In addition to reading Ecclesiastes, I would also recommend reading the Book of Acts and St. Paul’s letters. Both speak of work and using money properly.

God bless you.
Kris

Money in itself is not evil. It might be more accurate to think of money as a means of accounting for the value of things that we can exchange. Our labor can be exchanged for food, clothing, and shelter, but how? Barter is one option. Money is another.

Apart from paying the bills etc, work can enable you to do great things for God. I am not talking about big massive public stuff, but the little things that ripple around the world and can result in a saved soul, renewed hope and joy. Can it get better than that? The opportunity to invest in the bank of God, the only bank where your money increases more than a thousandfold and the return is when Jesus says “You fed me when I was hungry, you clothed me when I was naked etc” or words to that effect.

Maybe I am nuts, but I find that giving in faith and love is a great joy and blessing. I can’t visit prisoners (I’m too scared) or feed the hungry (there are too many) but my giving along with all the other gifts enables the Church to give freely bringing hope to dark places. Frankly, God gives me so much joy when I give, I don’t need any other reward.

As for work, you could consider it an opportunity to shine the Christ-light in more lives.

PS. Its not about tossing out leftovers or the amount, its the quality. So if God has blessed me with a job, I want to pass as much of the blessing along. :extrahappy::whackadoo:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.