Perspectives on Ezekiel 29?

Hello,

An atheist friend of mine was challenging the validity of this chapter, claiming that it was an unfulfilled prophecy on Egypt.

Can anyone help explain this for me? I haven’t been able to find much information. But I do know that Egypt was put to tribute by Nebuchadnezzar, and presumably, there would have been some deportation of inhabitants since this was standard procedure at the time. I think he’s interpreting it a bit too literally, but if anyone can give me some information, it’d be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Fr. William Most says…
Then God tells Nebuchadnezzar that since he had labored hard to take the island of Tyre, in vain, he would be given Egypt as a recompense. We have some Babylonian fragments that seem to speak of an expedition to Egypt in 568, but the text is unclear and meaning debated. There was a substantial fulfillment of the prophecy parallel to that of Jeremiah 43.8-13 In 29.221 the words “in that day” may refer merely to the fall of Egypt, but could equally well look ahead to the Messiah who is to come.

From the notes in the NABRE:

[LIST]
*]Judah and the Egyptians were allies against the Babylonians.
*]The dragon is a crocodile and is also a symbol for Pharaoh.
*]God pulls Pharaoh (crocodile) and his people (clinging fish) out of the Nile.
*]They land in an open field and are torn apart by birds rather than being buried.
*]Pharaoh is the reed that looks sturdy, but breaks under pressure.
*]Panthros means “upper”.
*]The population spread north as the silt left by the annual floods created rich lands there.
*]This is Ezekiel’s latest prophecy and was written on April 26, 571BC.
*]The siege finally ended in 574BC, when Babylon agreed not to loot Tyre if they surrendered.
*]Ezekiel says Babylon should be rewarded for being God’s instrument of Tyre’s punishment.
*]The horn is a symbol of the renewed strength God gives Israel.
*]Ezekiel further says that this conquest of Egypt precedes Israel’s restoration.
*]He hopes to be there to see it himself.
[/LIST]

Hope this helps!

It looks like there is historically an indication that Nebuchadnezzar invaded Egypt in 568 as you stated. It most likely did lead to a decline in Egyptian power since it never regained its previous world power status. I just have a hard time finding information to help with regards to the verse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.