Perspectives on prayer

“Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one’s weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.”
Mahatma Gandhi

“The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
Søren Kierkegaard

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one”
Bruce Lee

“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.”
Mother Teresa

“I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.”
Abraham Lincoln

“If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough.”
Meister Eckhart

“Why must people kneel down to pray? If I really wanted to pray I’ll tell you what I’d do. I’d go out into a great big field all alone or in the deep, deep woods and I’d look up into the sky—up—up—up—into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there was no end to its blueness. And then I’d just feel a prayer.”
L.M. Montgomery

“Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?”
Corrie ten Boom

Your forget one. “Prayer is our way of conversing with God.”

“Prayer is the best weapon we possess. It is the key that opens the heart of God.”
Padre Pio

Defined by the Church, prayer is the elevation of our hearts and minds to God.

I just love Anne!

Prayer is an intrinsic reflection of our life in dialogue with the Divine. If our souls do not yearn alongside our supplication, do not dance in jubilation alongside our thanksgiving, do not marvel at God’s greatness alongside our adoration, do not silently await to receive His Word alongside our contemplation, then we are but hypocrites playing at love for God.

I include myself in these hypocrites, but in realizing this, I may always strive for a closer union of life and prayer.

I am not sure where to post this and I don’t want to start a thread. These are readings of the Lord’s Prayer in old Norse and old English - just beautiful. For the record, of course, I think most of the old Norse and old English were more pagan and barbarian than Christian, and the ones who were Christian my guess is prayed their prayers in Latin. Still, these are just so beautiful to listen to (and pray). What is most fascinating to me is how you can detect the meaning of the words from knowing the prayer in modern English. If you listen and pray on these a few times, you get the rhythm and can know the lines - hear echoes of our modern English. It is quite lovely - enjoy! (or post other nice prayer readings)

Well now, I would have to say I didn’t forget one, rather I haven’t got around to them all yet. :slight_smile:

We don’t have to kneel down to pray; perhaps for those who can still kneel in church for certain parts of the Mass, it is correct to kneel. That is, of course, if there knees are still working properly!

As for myself I think it is almost ten years that I have not knelt down in church due to painful knees. If I forced myself to kneel I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on my prayer.

In fact, the many prayer forms that one does at home tells us to sit in a comfortable chair.
This may be for Lectio Divina or just having a conversation with the Lord.

We are told to “pray always”, and out in a field sounds wonderful!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.