Pet lovers protest cats on the menu in China

While animal lovers in Beijing protested the killing of cats for food on Thursday, a butcher in Guangdong province — where felines are the main ingredient in a famous soup — just shrugged her shoulders and wielded her cleaver. “Cats have a strong flavor. Dogs taste much better, but if you really want cat meat, I can have it delivered by tomorrow,” said the butcher, who gave only her surname, Huang.

It was just this attitude that outraged about 40 cat lovers who unfurled banners in a tearful protest outside the Guangdong government office in Beijing. Many were retirees who care for stray felines they said were being rounded up by dealers.

The protest was the latest clash between age-old traditions and the new sensibilities made possible by China’s growing affluence. Pet ownership was once rare because the Communist Party condemned it as bourgeois and most people simply couldn’t afford a cat or dog.

The protesters’ indignation was whipped up by recent reports in Chinese newspapers about the cat meat industry. On Monday, the Southern Metropolis Daily — a Guangdong paper famous for its exposes and aggressive reporting — ran a story that said about 1,000 cats were transported by train to Guangdong each day.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081219/ap_on_re_as/as_china_cat_protest

Its their culture, not ours. They don’t see these animals as pets-just food. We in America eat some pretty strange stuff, too, that would shock people from other cultures.

In the US we turn up our nose at eating horse, I think in part because horses have become pets. But horsemeat is popular in France, Russia and other countries.

I thought the news article was interesting because China’s new-found prosperity is leading to the keeping of cats as pets and this seems to be driving the new-found intolerance of cats as food.

I’m curious on how a cat tastes like :confused:

My understanding is that these are not the same species of cats that we have as pets, but of a wild variety.

Jim

Nothing special, just like chicken! :smiley:

Were you making a joke or being serious? I couldn’t tell.

Just kidding. I know that in Italy just after WW2 they used to sell cat pretending that it was hare. They would just chop the head and the paws off. I guess that it would probably taste like a jack rabbit.

Good! I think it’s disgusting that they serve cats on the menu in China. That is one reason why I will never eat at a restaurant in China. I will probably never get the chance to travel to China but you get my point.

But then again, it is their culture so we can’t condemn them for it. God made animals as food and companions for us. One country’s taboo food is another country’s delicacy. Hindus refuse to eat cows while beef (which for anyone with a Kindergarten education would know, comes from cows) is a very popular food in the United States and in most of the Western world. So, just as I think it is disgusting for the Chinese to eat cats, the Hindus probably think it is disgusting for me to eat beef.

It’s ironic that people can be repelled by the thought of someone eating a cat, but can be indifferent to using human embryos for body parts (stem cells). Interesting that many can accept embryonic stem cell usage, yet never make the mental connection between that and, e.g., Dracula. When you think about it, there is no difference between the two at all, except that the victim in the former is unable to resist or protest.

Um… there is a huge difference between an empryo VS a cat… + I’m pretty sure that according to catholic theology animals don’t have souls. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’m not sure on this one.

• you eat embryos? :confused:

What’s hypocritical to me is I’m pretty sure those people that protest people eating cats are not all vegans. Otherwise, they are playing favourites towards cat, while other animals are fine to consume.

Obviously I did not express myself well. I would not eat a cat unless starved to it. I would not eat or otherwise desecrate or destroy a human embryo for any reason at all. To me, a human life, at any stage, is sacred, whereas an animal’s life is not.

My point was that it is ironic how cats can be, to some, more highly valued than humans, and that many do not see how bizarre that truly is.

Maybe because… an embryo isn’t a human? At least not a seperate, fully functioning one.

I would not eat a cat unless starved to it

Why?
I didn’t catch the answer quite clearly

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.