PETA miffed at President Obama's fly "execution"

Reuters:

PETA miffed at President Obama’s fly “execution”

POLITICO (Washington) - The president has been getting lots of kudos for a lightning-fast, Mr. Miyagi-worthy swipe he employed to slay a pesky house fly that was buzzing him in mid-interview during a taping with CNBC that aired Wednesday.
“He stopped the interview to track and kill the fly,” said talk show host Conan O’Brien.

"That's some pretty impressive hand-eye coordination right there," Jimmy Fallon gushed. "Makes Obama look like a bad ***."
   But now People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, calling it an "execution," wants the commander-in-chief to show a little more compassion to even "the least sympathetic animals."

“Believe it or not, we’ve actually been contacted by multiple media outlets wanting to know PETA’s official response to the executive insect execution,” a blog on the group’s website explained. “In a nutshell, our position is this: He isn’t the Buddha, he’s a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act.”

The group has sent Obama a device that traps a fly so it can then be released outside.
   "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Freidrich explained.

Sad to relate this is a real story, not from The Onion.
I’d worry more about compassion for unborn humans than for flies.

It’s just like Bush missing the shoe. The press kept gushing over him.

PETA, what do you expect? They made seakittens. Seakittens.

I belong to PETA 2–People Eating Tasty Animals

It’s Friday, so I think I will be eating Seakitten tonight! Yum!

Yes, PETA has been in the news in Seattle, too. It seems they don’t like the fish tossing at the Pike Place Market. One of the shopkeepers tosses a large, DEAD, fish to the next guy who puts it on the bed of ice. It is a tourist thing and has been for almost 75 years. So now they are mad, because it is “disrespectful” to the fish. :shrug:

Don’t these people realize that flies are dirty and carry germs? How idiotic to have compassion for something that carries disease!:rolleyes:

:stuck_out_tongue: Seakittens!

Sorry, I think I’m entirely incapable of taking anything PETA says or does seriously.

I have seen one too many horror films…the first thing that popped into my head when I saw him swat the fly was I thought he was going to eat it…:eek:.

Ridiculous…

If that was an execution then I must be some genocidal despot of these least sympathetic animals.

:stuck_out_tongue: Seakittens!

Sorry, I think I’m entirely incapable of taking anything PETA says or does seriously.

Even though I’ve been known to catch and release bugs before, this has to be the stupidest political issue ever. PETA saying he shouldn’t have killed it, and the media putting his superhuman fly-killing abilty as front page news.

Maybe he should have just negotiated with the fly.

That’s ok. Let it up to PETA to sweat the substitutionary morality stuff, and let it up to faithful Catholics to sweat about compassion for unborn humans.

One of these days, PETA’s gonna say that farming is bad because farms displace forests, depletes natural foliage and that we should eat labratory grown food. :eek:

:rotfl:

Now he will have to go on a speaking tour and apologize to all flies. :stuck_out_tongue:

In which case, I just purchased my seakitten hunting license.

With all the jillions of flies in the world, he will be occupied for a long, long time!:wink:

*I don’t know if I’m more troubled over the article and PETA’s concern with a fly, OR over the fact that the media is that impressed with the President of the United States agility to kill an insect. :rolleyes: Is this all that’s going on in the world? Obama’s ability to kill a fly…wow, stop the presses. *

Maybe he will be kept from passing anymore laws to kill more infant humans:D

So, if you use a fly ( or a worm) for bait, are you then guilty of double murder? :eek:

Do I hear someone humming a few bars of “Carrot Juice Is Murder” out there?

Well, Obama can tick off PETA

Who knew he did have good points? :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess Father Corapi was right when he said there is a limit to our intelligence but no limit to our stupidity!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.