PETA Opposes Killing Flies, but Has No “Specific Position" on Killing of Unborn Humans: Spokesman

By Matthew Cullinan Hoffman

WASHINGTON, June 23, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - According to a spokesman for “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals” (PETA), which recently decried President Obama’s swatting of a fly during an interview, the organization urges “compassion even for the smallest and least of animals,” but has no position on the killing of unborn human beings. A spokesman for the organization told LifeSiteNews.com (LSN) in an interview that it is “loathsome” and “grotesquely hypocritical” that pro-lifers oppose abortion, but are unconcerned about the mistreatment of chickens and other animals used in the food industry.

Asked about PETA’s criticism of President Barack Obama’s killing of a fly during a recent televised interview, group spokesman Bruce Friedrich told LSN that PETA “supports compassion even for the smallest and least of animals, much as Nobel Peace Prize winner Dr. Albert Schweitzer who included even insects in his realm of compassion.”

However, when confronted with the example of abortion, in which unborn human beings are torn apart inside their mother’s womb, Friedrich, who admitted that humans are animals, said that “as an organization we don’t have a specific position on abortion, just as we don’t have a specific position on global poverty, or any of the other areas where many noble people are working very diligently.”

Full article…

“Sign of the Times”

although this is sad and incomprehensible, why does it not surprise me? :frowning:

PETA is a weird organization. I mean, I’m all for animal rights but they take it to an extreme. And then they think that killing flies is wrong but yet killing an unborn child isn’t. That, in my opinion, is just disgusting.

hmmm…I’m assuming PETA members frequently go camping and hiking. I can’t help but wonder…what do they do when a mosquito bites them? hehehe

Swatting a fly is a problem. Pithing a baby during birth is not? It’s official, we’ve gone mad.

Don’t get me started on PETA!!! They are deceitful, they feel it is their right to trespass to get evidence (which is shakey and exaggerated best) and are unethical for the most part. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them in the last year (not because of my animals but because I work for a sheriff’s office)

They have always been prochoice when it comes to people but, heaven help you if you perform an abortion on an animal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.