Peter and Greek Mythology!

A long time ago I was studing up on the papacy. When looking at the original langauages and such I came across an argument, that even if we use the Greek Petros and Petras, we still come to the same conclusion: Peter is the Rock. It went something like -
The two Greek words find their history in Greek Mythology and according to some story, some mythical being drove a sword into a big rock, creating a small rock( a piece of, of the same substance etc…) from the large. Going with this story, we can see that Peter is a chip off the old block(Sorry couldn’t resist!)

Does anyone know where that is, who the charater’s are, anything about it? :hmmm:

I don’t really get this story, nor am I familiar with it at all. I thought you were going to bring up the use of the word “Tartaros” in 2nd Pet. to describe hell. Is this a discussion on the “historical Peter” now?
I would like to know more. WooohhhhhWeeee.

For me it’s a non issue, given that Jesus spoke Aramaic, and in that language, the words were “You are Kephas, and on this Kephas I will build my Church.”

The scene where this took place is also noteworthy. In the book “And On This Rock,” by Stanley Jaki, there is a photo of the huge wall of rock at Caesarea Phillipi, the place where Jesus uttered this statement.

This is in regards to the Prosteant’s many claims about the Petrine Text in Matthew 16. It’s a long arument and yes it does go back to the original aramaic. However, when discussing such topics, to know where this story is, and even the story in it’s fullness would help to show that when this was written into Greek, they choose these words not only for their mas. v fem. nature, but for their history! i.e. the story of creation showing its beautiful head in Greek History (Woman came from man, little rock came from big rock) The possibilities are awesome and amazing! This just gets me so excited. I really hope I can find the story!:dancing:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.