Peter and Paul.

Whom in your opinion had a greater influence on modern day Catholicism and Christianity? Why do you think so?

I think it is difficult to ascretain. On the one hand, Paul has written so many letters, that later comprised much of the New Testament. This has a profund impact on the many Christians who have the sola scriptura attitude.

One the other hand, much of Christianity’s form and format was passed down from tradition. It was close to 300 years before a standard form of the Bible was disseminated. I believe that Peter had an huge impact on early Christianity. Even Paul looked to him for advice.

[quote=serendipity]I think it is difficult to ascretain. On the one hand, Paul has written so many letters, that later comprised much of the New Testament. This has a profund impact on the many Christians who have the sola scriptura attitude.

One the other hand, much of Christianity’s form and format was passed down from tradition. It was close to 300 years before a standard form of the Bible was disseminated. I believe that Peter had an huge impact on early Christianity. Even Paul looked to him for advice.
[/quote]

Both are of so great an importance in the New Testament. While St. Paul did much of his teaching through the written word, I believe St. Peter, with less of a formal education, did his spreading of the word orally. It is impossible now to measure the actual impact of each of these men. We only know it was great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.