Peter as Pope from the start of Acts of the Apostles

‘During those days Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers (there was a group of 120 persons in the place) …’
These dozen verses had never impressed me before another poster asked about the filling of Judas’ office. Peter rises to speak without any prelude following the prayers of those gathered. He assumes a tone of authority immediately, as he explains the fulfillment of the scriptures, the way in which Judas fulfilled the prophecy and why, scripturally, his office must be filled. Peter then states without any consultation whatsoever what qualifies one of the company to be eligible to fulfill the ministry; the company proposes two candidates and ask for the Holy Spirit to assist their choice. - No, Peter does not make the choice on his own, but he charged the disciples with their first task. Only after Matthias is chosen and the office filled does the Holy Spirit descend in power.
After the descent of the Spirit, Peter is the first to preach the gospel as chief of the apostolic college, and when those who were scoffing ask what they have to do, it’s Peter again who says ‘Repent and be baptized.’, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is made to you and to your children, to you and to all those who are far off, whomever the Lord our God will call."
What is so striking as well on this reading is that Peter, like His Master, is speaking as one having authority; you can hear Jesus emphasis of ‘Truly, truly I say unto you’ eechoing in Peter’s declarations.

Peter is given that authority right away, especially in John chapter 1, where we know Peter is called Cephas, Rock.

Peter is then spoken to directly by Jesus, when Jesus says in Matthew 16:16-18, you are Peter, and on this Rock I will build my Church.

That’s why Jesus in Luke, he gets upset with Peter when he goes to the Garden and pray, and finds them sleeping, Jesus directs his attention to Peter and tells him why are you sleeping. Peter is obviously in charge

I believe Peter had the authority based partially on the fact that there was so many obvious choices if the Church was just “making it up”. If the church was making up the office of Pope, why not John the one Jesus loved most and lived longest? It was the disciples of John who gave us most of our early church fathers, Ignatius, Polycarp, Clement. Why not Paul who gave us most of our new testement scripture?

No, if the office of Pope was made up, Peter was not an obvious choice. There must have been something else, like historical truth.

Also like God knows what he HE is doing. Didn’t Jesus say He would be praying for Peter and for Peter to CONFIRM his brethren? Also HE gave him the Keys to the Kingdom, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven. God Bless, Memaw

In the lists of disciples…

Judas is always listed last. Why ?
Peter is always listed first. Why ?

The answers are obvious.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.