Peter Not Pope??

1 Corinthians 1:10-12
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas(Peter)”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Doesn’t this make it seem that Peter was of equal standing with other leaders in the church?

Hmmmm --------------- No.

not really. if you look at the whole sentence it evens mention Christ at the end. to assume Peter was at equal footing with Paul and Apollos, does it mean they too are equals of Christ?

My thoughts exatly.
I would think it a very shamefull experience. The communitiy you are leading to Christ have been lead to you. OUCH because it exposes a lack of humility or an inbalance caused by the close proximity of our corruptness and great divine favors.

Notice Paul is first mentioned and may have had a greater temptation to be arrogant. Apollos a reknowned preacher even before his baptism. Peter in fact in possession of the loftiest gifts wasn’t formed in Christ as a celebrity. I can reason a hierarchy in this order but it is counter intuitive to the OP

remember what peter himself said about paul writing things hard to understand. and many people wrest them to their own destruction. i am greatful i do not need to rely on my own interpretation of scripture, and have an authority that has been placed here by God. namely His Church th Pope and Coucil of Bishops. love in Christ.:wave:

Christ told Peter he’s the “rock” and that the Church will be built on him, and gave him the keys to the Kingdom (referring to the “steward” or “prime minister” in Isaiah) and told him to “feed His sheep” etc… so yes Peter is the Pope :slight_smile: the early Church Fathers said that unity in the Church is preserved by the Papacy… and that it all goes back to Peter…

catholic-pages.com/pope/hahn.asp

Ditto this!
And yes, Peter was the first Pope. :yup: He received the keys to the Kingdom, he definitely had a special place.

In context, Paul is saying how people think that they are better than the others for being baptized “by” Paul or Peter or whoever… but it doesn’t matter who the priest was who did the ceremony for Christ… all that matters is that you are baptized in the name of the Lord so that you may be baptized by the Lord… Paul says whether you were baptized by Pope or by some priest who left the Catholic Church… you are all equal… and in anycase, the True One who baptized you is our Lord, not the individual priest… I ran across this passage at an awesome Bible study :smiley:

And Paul is being quite “smart” in this chapter… lol… I love it… St. Paul seems to have had quite the sense of humor.

Matthew 16:18-21

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

***19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. ***:coffeeread:

20 Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ.
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

21 From that time Jesus began to shew to his disciples, that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the ancients and scribes and chief priests, and be put to death, and the third day rise again.

Sigh… i wish you non Catholics will just come to terms with this. Peter was the first pope. This text has been debated over for the past 2,000yrs. By people who knew this subject like the back of their hand. But we still get non catholics coming in here with something that they think noone else has ever seen or thought of before… Its like they see a passage and they’re like . “omgz!! I bet no theologian in the past 2,000 yrs as ever thought of this. I’ve got to show those catholics my exciting new discovery! I’m sure they will give up catholicism when i show them this. I’ll be a hero.”

I am sorry you feel that way about me.

I never said I wasn’t Catholic.

No, what it indicates is that very early in the Church people were starting to divide in what they believed and who they followed. In other words, it was a warning against self interpretation and heretical beliefs.

The Church has been plagued by problems such as this since its’ inception. They are I believe inspired by Satan who wants nothing more than to cause disunity and destruction in and of the Body of Christ.

As an aside another poster mentions that are a non-catholic. You became defensive in your reply. Why? Your public profile describes your religion as christian. That could make you a member of any denomination or of none at all. By not stating that you are in fact Catholic, you would seem to indicate that you are not. In fact in other posts you describe yourself as a soon to be catholic.

From reading other of your posts it seems that you engage in quite a bit of self interpretation of scripture which is not exactly a good thing to do as we all will interpret it differently, usually wrong. Self interpretation of scripture has led directly to the massive divisions and disunity in the Church.

And in honesty, your questions seem to indicate either a disbelief in or a lack of knowledge of Catholic beliefs…

I never said I was one or the other.

I just like to play devil’s advocate and throw things out into the open to see how people respond to them.

I never said I actually believe it.

I sometimes come off as a proponent of what I say, but I am not.

I 100% believe in the Catholic Church.

No, it does not. If you extend your line of thinking, then doesn’t the quote also make it seem that Christ was of equal standing with the other leaders in the Church? Where does Paul put Christ abouve Peter, himself and Apollos in that quote? Again, why we must be careful not to quote scripture alone and out of context.

Hey Kamalayka,

I think we can acknowledge that the Corinthians did not understand St. Peter to the Vicar of Christ. St. Paul was admonishing them for their divisive spirit. There would have been no need for the instruction if they had correct doctrine. As I indicated in a recent post to you on another thread, I am comfortable with the notion that the papacy was not explicitly understood by the churches at this time. But I think my answer suffices even if I took the view that the Apostles were teaching the full, comprehensive doctrine of the papacy as it is defined as of October 2009.

(If you can, take a peek at the other thread…I didn’t see your “devil’s advocatry” until today.)

Thanks for your consideration…

Rory

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.