Peter, Paul, and Protestantism

It seems that a lot of protestant doctrines are drawn from the letters of St. Paul. I am wondering why Sola Scriptora believing protestants insist on this and ignore the passage where Peter says…

2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. (ESV)

Now we understand what is happening but they use these twistings of the Apostle’s words to attack the Holy Catholic Church, not availing themselves of the purity of faith, but rather hearkening unto false teachers.

Virtually all protestant denominations exist as a result of favoring one bit of scripture over the rest–favoring one piece of truth over the whole truth.

[quote=But for Grace]2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. (ESV)

Now we understand what is happening but they use these twistings of the Apostle’s words to attack the Holy Catholic Church, not availing themselves of the purity of faith, but rather hearkening unto false teachers.
[/quote]

:mad: So Protestants are ignorant and unstable?

Peter is giving a warning: “be on your guard, so that you may not be carred away by the error of lawless men.” verse17

If Paul–who was given wisdom straight from God–can write hard to understand letters, I think it wise to be on my guard about anything written by anyone, Popes included.

Protestants in general are ignorant as are Catholics and everyone, who can claim not to be ignorant at least a little bit in the knowledge of scripture. Yet there are some who have started their own faith traditions of understanding scripture. They claim to know better and start their own church, using their own personal understanding as the basis for the church.

I am on guard personally and do look to be sure that whatever is written is orthodox, even things written by Popes. I agree with you, I might misconstrue what they write and follow my own flawed understanding.

We must be on guard on not just follow any man who starts a church, who claims to better understand scripture, but follow Christ and seek truth.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=scylla]I am on guard personally and do look to be sure that whatever is written is orthodox, even things written by Popes.
[/quote]

Interesting. How do you judge what is orthodox and what isn’t?

Let’s keep this charitable all. I see nowhere in any posts where anyone has alleged that Protestants are ignorant. The statement was that they ignore some passages…big difference.

Respond to what is posted… :slight_smile:

Your servant in Christ,
Michael Francis

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.