Peter The Rock

Ok My question is.
Does the church teach that it (The Church) is spiritualy built on peter. or literally built on Peter? By this I mean if the church beleives that since The Vatican is located on St peters Tomb. That makes the Catholic Church Jesus’ Church. Oh and by the way I am Catholic.

The fact that the physical Church is located over Peter’s tomb does not by itself prove that the Catholic Church is the church that Christ established. What makes it the one, true Church is when Jesus said, “Thou art Peter and upon this Rock I will build my Church…”.

Matthew 16:15 “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” **
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock (
the Christ, the Son of the living God. **) I will build my church,

Using scripture, prove that Jesus is the rock.

Isaiah 26:4 Trust in the Lord always,
for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

Catholics win both ways!!

If peter is the rock…The Catholic church is the true church.

If Jesus was building it on faith that he is the son of GOD…Catholics that believe this (which all of them should) are still in the body of christ. and so is everyone else with this faith in Jesus as the Son of God.

So Catholics are safe both ways.

Isaiah 26:4 the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

There, corrected.

It is not as if Catholics believe that the Church is built upon Peter INSTEAD OF Christ. Christ is always the invisible head of the Church, the chief cornerstone.

It’s easy for Protestants to claim that their Church is built on Christ. All 30,000 of them, with their conflicting doctrines.

But I think that we can all agree that only one Church is built upon Peter*. The Holy Catholic Church. Just as Christ himself said. Christ’s words/prophesy were gloriously and historically fulfilled.

• In Matt 16 Christ is the builder/architect, not the foundation.

It would be much better for all concerned if they knew what they were talking about with regard to Matthew 16:18: [FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]“You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church.”

I strongly recommend that everyone carefully read this article by Karl Keating.

It is one of several very good ones.

Oh… and Peter’s bones being in Rome actually has nothing whatever to do with this topic… It actually just proves that Sacred Tradition was right and the modern post reformation a-Cs are wrong when they try to tell you that Peter was never in Rome. :rolleyes:

Those who take the modern post reformation position don’t know what they are talking about. Don’t let 'em rattle you.

I have a theory about why they are like that, and you can read about that here.[/FONT] :smiley:

**1 Corinthians 3:11For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. **

And what is that supposed to mean?

I suspect you just can’t handle the fact that you’ve just been refuted by a Catholic who knows the Word of God as well as you do, and maybe even better.

Check this out… Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema. 9 As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema.

To explain the saying …“You are Peter (Rock) and upon you I will build my Church” One has to go way back to the original Greek and Arameic(can’t spell this and have no time to check it.)

But Jesus definitely called Simon ,Peter, which means Rock. The other apostles called him Peter or Rock from then on.

Romans 8:1 Therefore, there is now CONDEMNATION for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. **

Isaiah 26:4 the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

That’s one way to get your post count up. Just keep repeating the same verse over and over and over an over…

Try treating this like a conversation. You might learn something and who knows you may even pass on some good nuggets.

You’re absolutely right JB! :thumbsup: The Aramaic that Jesus and the apostles spoke at that time is the key, and not the convoluted and archaic translation of the Greek.

And if they are silly enough to go on about the New Testament being written in Greek that is just fine, but remind then to look around even their favorite translations of the New Testament and then tell you how many times Jesus and the apostles called Peter by his Aramaic name, (that Our Lord gave him), Kepha(s) (or sometimes Cephas).:slight_smile:

**Rom 8:1 There is NO CONDEMNATION for those in Christ Jesus. **

There is more to the passage than what you posted.

Matthew 16:[15] He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
[16] Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
[17] And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
[18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Jesus goes on to day that He is giving Peter the keys of the kingdom and the authority to bind and loose.

This passage takes place near Caesarea Philippi where there was a rock cliff which was a pagan temple to Pan.
http://www.welcometohosanna.com/LIFE_OF_JESUS/lifejesuspix/CaesareaPhilippiSacredComplex.jpg
Jesus could have been using this as a backdrop to give meaning to what he is telling Peter.

Jesus was saying that 'Simon you are rock and on this rock I will build my church.'
He is giving Peter authority over his church here on earth once Jesus is in heaven.
Giving Peter the keys is making him the Prime minister once the King is away, just as Isaiah 22 speaks of the keys to the kingdom.

You are correct that Jesus is the rock, and the cornerstone, but Jesus in not trying to make that point in this passage.

Keep in mind that Jesus says that He is building His Church, not Peter’s Church.

Right back atcha. :wink:

[/size]What? Do you suppose that just repeating a verse of scripture with some kind of agenda behind it (that requires twisting the Word of God and offering a new wind of modern (less than 500 years old) doctrinal interpretation is going to refute the 2,000 years of faithful Christian teaching?

If that’s all you got, then you better go back to your preacher and get a refill of propaganda, but when you do…you be sure to ask him just what language Jesus and the apostles spoke among themselves, and then go look into the real history and see if what he told you is true.

When you find out the truth I think you’re gonna be angry…but don’t take it out on Catholics. We tried to share with you just like 1st Peter 3:15 says.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.