Peter was the First Pope: Evidence from the Gospels

I’m uploading individual segments from my new podcast series, History and Apologetics (you can listen to the first episode at historyandapologetics.com). One clip is of the segment on Peter in the Gospels. You can watch/listen to that here:

Peter was the First Pope: Evidence from the Gospels
youtube.com/watch?v=5gJjm0HtO7I

Check out the full show at: historyandapologetics.com/2017/09/the-biblical-case-for-petrine-primacy.html

Or subscribe at: feeds.feedburner.com/HistoryAndApologetics

I’m uploading individual segments from my new podcast series, History and Apologetics (you can listen to the first episode at historyandapologetics.com). One clip is of the segment on Peter in Acts. You can watch/listen to that here:

Peter was the First Pope: Evidence from Acts
youtube.com/watch?v=9wqvb6sbYKw

Check out the full show at: historyandapologetics.com/2017/09/the-biblical-case-for-petrine-primacy.html

I’m uploading individual segments from my new podcast series, History and Apologetics (you can listen to the first episode at historyandapologetics.com). One clip is of the segment on Peter in the Epistles of the New Testament. You can watch/listen to that here:

Peter was the First Pope: Evidence from the Epistles
youtube.com/watch?v=B2vzFOQUI3o

Hi Dan,

Good job . Thanks.

You could also include that it was only Peter who hauled the net ashore.

John 21:3-14
6 He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, for the quantity of fish. …
10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish that you have just caught.”
11 So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, a hundred and fifty-three of them; and although there were so many, the net was not torn.”

I am reasonably sure that John’s original meaning could not possibly been the same meaning that Jerome attached to it, but since Sacred Scripture has many levels of meaning Jerome’s allusions are completely valid.

**St. Jerome: **
Jerome wrote that Oppian’s Halieutica lists 153 types of fish. The point seems to be that this total of 153 represents all the nations from which God will gather the fish, symbolizing that believers will be gathered from all the nations in the world into the net of the Church.

(Jerome, commentary on Ezekiel 47:6-12  (book 14, chapter 47), Migne, PL  		25, 474C, 

Ezekiel 47:9-10
	“… 9 Wherever the river flows, every sort of living creature that can  		multiply shall live, and there shall be abundant fish, for wherever this  		water comes the sea shall be made fresh.  Fishermen shall be standing  		along it from En-gedi to En-eglaim,  		spreading their nets there. Its kinds of fish shall be like those of the  		Great Sea, very numerous.”

The numerical value for the word *
	gedi* = 17.   (10 = ג = 3; ד = 4; י )*
	eglaim* = 153.  (= ע 70 ; ג = 3; ל = 30 ; י = 10 ; מ = 40 )
	Coincidentally, the Hebrew word *gedi* (גדי) is the 153rd   		word of Ezekiel 47.

********** St. Augustine**
states :
“ … but the definite number of a 153; and of the reason of this number we must now, with the Lord’s help, give some account.”
1 + 2 + 3 … + 17 = 153

Although, in order to avoid a strong push back for a very shaky meaning for the allusion of 153, you should leave out the reference to 153, and just point out that it was Peter who dragged the net ashore.

John

Thank you dmar198.

God bless.

Cathoholic

+1

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.