Peter's miracles

Jesus miracles point to his divinity, how are Peter’s miracles different?

Peter’s miracles also point to Christ’s divinity, because they are done in the name of Christ, not in the name of Peter.

Well, let me ask another way as no one is going to argue that Peter was divine. How do the miracles of Jesus point to his divinity when Peter performed many of the same miracles? If the miracles of Peter were not of his own power, how do we know that Jesus miracles were by HIS own power.

How would I argue this to someone who is not a trinitarian is my goal.

Men before Jesus such as Elijah and Elisha brought the dead back to life, healed, and multiplied food, so I don’t look at Jesus’ miracles as necessarily evidence of his divinity. I’d look more at the Resurrection and Ascension for that.

Short version: Jesus claims to be God, and Peter doesn’t. Anyone who could both claim to be God and perform miracles is either a) God, or b) messing with demons in a really big way.

All of Peter’s miracles were performed “in the name of Jesus of Nazareth”, clearly stating that Jesus’ power is what is being used, not Peter’s own.

Jesus on the other hand, healed on his own power and authority, and on at least one occasion accompanied it with something that is solely God’s prerogative: he forgave sins.

Miracles have nothing to do with divinity. Zilch. The Apostles and others performed miracles.

2 Corinthians 12:12

I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles.

Even if the miracles are done in Jesus’ name they don’t show divinity.

Matthew 7:21-23

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

So it should be an easy argument to make that miracles do not have anything to do with divinity.

So, am I confusing divinity with signs of the messiah? When Jesus told followers to “tell John what they have seen”, that’s more of a Messiah sign rather than a sign that he was divine?

How about calming the waters? Referring to himself as “I am” ?

What else am I missing (I know John 1 and Hebrews 1 are big ones)

Jesus quoting Daniel and saying I AM to Caiaphas better indicate to me that Jesus was God.

“Your sins are forgiven.”
“You have heard it said…but I say to you…”

Isnt that also implying we should be seeing more people able to do miracles in the world?

I recognize many people back in biblical times seemed to be able to do things like multiply food on demand, heal people, call down fire from heaven, bring people back from the dead, etc, but why dont we see any of this today? Or maybe it does happen, and we just dont hear about it…?

4 But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.