Peter's remains found in jerusalem?

Some protestants in an attempt to discredit the tradition that peter was martyred in rome, will allege that peter’s remains were found in jerusalem. A website that i encountered in particular was this one

aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm

how can we refute this?

I am not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to say so, that is why I leave this up the the church, however this is my take.

I am 34 years old and my wife and I are in the process getting our graves and will have possibly our headstones with our names on them.

Lets say I live in my 80’s, 90’s and lose my memory and I am in some adult home is another state. They bury me in a state grave, not knowing I have a grave elsewhere. So over a thousand years go by and they find my tombstone, is that where I am originally buried?

Peter was killed, where would they have placed his body? Esp. in Rome, would they would send him back to Jerusalem, I doubt it.

They found a tomb stone but not the bones. The bones are in Saint Peter in Rome.

By reading it :slight_smile: - to quote:

[LIST]
*]Then I asked, “Does Father Bagatti (co-writer of the book in Italian on the subject, and archaeologist) really believe that those are the bones of St. Peter?” “Yes, he does,” was the reply.
*]Then I asked, “But what does the Pope think of all this?”
*]That was a thousand dollar question and he gave me a million dollar answer. “Well,” he confidentially answered in a hushed voice, “Father Bagatti told me personally that three years ago he went to the Pope (Pius XII) in Rome and showed him the evidence and the Pope said to him, ‘Well, we will have to make some changes, but for the time being, keep this thing quiet’.” In awe I asked also in a subdued voice, “So the Pope really believes that those are the bones of St. Peter?” “Yes,” was his answer. “The documentary evidence is there, he could not help but believe.”[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Pius XII died in October 1958.
*]Three years after that, at latest, would take one to late 1962 - which is closer to four years; but let’s be generous.
*]Margherita Guarducci discovered the remains of St Peter in about 1968 - certainly after 1963 (Again - let’s be generous)[/LIST]IOW - this article has been overtaken by events. The writer, & still more, the person using the article for argumentative purposes, fails to take into account the minor detail that what may have been true in 1962 or so, may no longer be true several years later.

BTW - archaeological data don’t take sides; their intrerpreters sometimes do. What would Mr. Scheifler - or Mr Peterson - do if an ossuary were unearthed bearing the inscription “Jesus son of Joseph” ? Was there only ever one Simon bar Jonah in first-century Jerusalem ?

A local priest was studying in Rome at the time they were excavating under St Peter’s. He has given us several talks on it. The evidence seems very good for his bones being under the main altar in St Peter’s

I would just stay away ffrom material that comes from rabid anti-catholic web sites like Micheal Schefler’s Bible Light …

They excavated under St.Peter’s Basilica and found the tomb of Peter. Attempting to disprove this attack is not necessary … I would just focus on what we know is true … ignore the rest …

This link is far better:

uofaweb.ualberta.ca/expressnews_template/article.cfm?id=794

God Bless

I am resurrecting this thread because Simcha Jacobovici and History International are questioning whether Peter was buried in Rome and instead are claiming that he was buried in Jerusalem. Simcha Jacobovici is also the guy who claimed that he found the Jesus family tomb.

Here is a teaser from their website:

The Search for St. Peter
Airs on Wednesday, April 2 at 8:30pm ET

At the Vatican in Rome stands the most iconic Christian church in the world, St. Peter’s Basilica. It’s named after the one-time fisherman turned saint – the famous bearded bouncer who controls the Pearly gates of heaven – St. Peter. According to Christian tradition, Peter is buried deep in the catacombs underneath the basilica. But is there any actual archaeological proof that St. Peter is there? In this episode, host Simcha Jacobovici tracks down the last footsteps of St. Peter and you may be very surprised where they lead!

This is probably something people should be aware of and be ready for. Right away I see a hole in the theory that this is Peter’s tomb. The enscription on the ossuary says “Shimon Bar Yonah.” It does not mention the name Peter or Cephas.

Now, if Jesus Christ renamed you “Peter” and scripture referred to you as “Peter” and people knew you as “Peter”, wouldn’t you explicitly put the name Peter (or Cephas) on your ossuary? Why would St. Peter (or the people who buried him) use his old name, Simon, on his ossuary? Was the name that God gave him not good enough?

You may find this thread I posted on that exact same subject helpful.

Whoops, I should’ve looked at the original post date, although I think it’d still be helpful to have a link to my original post here, in case someone finds this thread and not mine in a search.

Good point about the name “Peter”.

This reminds me of a story about Pancho Villa in the SW united states.

A woman sued another (one the wife, another the girl friend) they were each displaying the ‘skull of Pancho Villa’ for tourist dollars. The judge ruled the smaller skull was that of Pancho Villa as a youth. The larger, as a mature man.

Hahaha, that is pretty good.

I actually LAUGHED when I read this part of the article:

"Since the circulation of this article, they do not allow anyone to see this burial place. "

This is the classic defense of 'you HAVE to take my word for it, there is no evidence for my position because THEY have taken it." Essentially, someone scribbled a name on a rock and this person has dived way overboard on it. what counterproof is there? Oh, only MANY historical accounts from roman officials who SAW Peter die and be burried in rome.

And for those who are stating that his bones are in St Peter’s in Rome, that’s not entirely true… the skull is with St Paul’s in the church of San Pietre e Paolo on the SouthEast side of rome’s inner city.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.