Petition to Designate All Civil War-Related Monuments as National Monuments

WHEREAS the monuments and statuary arising out of the American Civil War are an irreplaceable homage to our American history and heritage, and,

WHEREAS there are those who wish, from selfish motives, to destroy forever these memorials to brave and proud Americans on both sides of the conflict,

THEREFORE, we the undersigned, as the People of the United States, do hereby beseech the President to utilize his powers under the Antiquities Act to designate every such monument, memorial, and statue as NATIONAL MONUMENTS in order to preserve our priceless and irreplaceable history.

petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet…onal-monuments

It says page not found…?

whitehouse.gov than we the people petition

petitions.whitehouse.gov/

I give up. I am not finding this petition.

I found it. But I’m not going to post the link because I don’t support the cause. :wink:

Homage? Count me out on that.

WHEREAS there are those who wish, from selfish motives, to destroy forever these memorials to brave and proud Americans on both sides of the conflict,

Attributing selfishness? It would pay to listen.
Then the coup de grace: “on both sides”? :rolleyes:

Hospodi Pomiluj.

Go home, David Duke. You’re drunk.

If we’re going to honor the leaders of the Confederacy, I was thinking we should also have some nice statues honoring the Loyalists in the Revolutionary War.

Maybe I should start a petition?

:sad_yes:

The only people who want to preserve the memory of the Confederate traitors are either White Supremacists or people who oppose everything that isn’t supported by Fox News.

Just like the statues of Washington, Adams, and Patrick Henry that are in London. Right? :rolleyes:

I am going to take this opportunity to say something that has come to mind many times on this forum but I never indulged before; you are an idiot.

The idea that the people who want to preserve the history of their state, region or ancestors are “white supremacists” because you say so is absurd. I have said it before and I will say it again; President Lincoln and General Grant held their adversaries in esteem and when the fighting was over, were willing to forgive and forget. If these two men who endured the 4 years of war and all of the pain and misery associated with it could move on, why is it that the disgustingly self-righteous of the 21st century cannot?

P.S. The Fox News comment simply makes your post that much more pathetic.

The North aimed to preserve the union. The North prevailed, but allowed, for the sake of the union, for the fundamental problem of white supremacy to endure even after the defeat of the South. That failure enabled a century of domestic terrorism against blacks in the South. That history must be recognized as a disgrace and the narrative must be changed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.