PETRAEUS: World order under 'unprecedented threat'

Retired Gen. David Petraeus warned lawmakers on Wednesday that the world order created in part by the United States in the 20th century is under “unprecedented threat from multiple directions,” pointing to Russia, China, Islamist extremists and cyber threats.

Those threats are compounded by an America whose “resolve about its defense has become somewhat ambivalent,” he added.

“Americans should not take the current international order for granted,” Petraeus said at a House Armed Services Committee hearing. “It did not will itself into existence. We created it. Likewise, it is not naturally self-sustaining. We have sustained it. If we stop doing so, it will fray and, eventually, collapse."

Petraeus, former director of the CIA, spoke at a hearing about the “state of the world.”

drudge.tw/2kTrOFY

More war talk.
Wonderful. :cool:

I may be wrong, but this seems mostly a veiled commentary by Gen. Petraeus to the Presidents loose language. :shrug:

Isn’t he a convicted felon? That he provided classified info to his biographer/mistress? I really think he should refrain from any political talk.

Could you show me the record of such?

That doesn’t invalidate his experience as a top general. I was so sad to hear about that scandal. My dad had hoped he’d run for president.

“We have met the enemy and he is us.”

This isn’t talk of war. It’s about recognizing threats.

A Pogo strip quote? Oy vey.

But it’s true.

According to Khrushchev. I don’t think our house is that divided, yet.

I think Russia is a threat to the World Order, but that’s good news, not bad.

Wow

In my opinion, the world order is fragile because it is built on sand. It is built on a foundation of wealth, power, pleasure, and pride. That’s not to say the whole world is so disordered, nor every part of our country or any country, but the rot threatens us all.

Enlisting?

What a buzzkill, man. Hater.

:nope::sad_yes:

Don’t trouble us with the facts, dude.

Okay, Federal prosecutors originally wanted felony charges brought against him, he copped a plea deal…

“Federal prosecutors had previously recommended pursuing felony charges against Petraeus, but accepted a plea deal signed in early March.”

rt.com/usa/252409-petraeus-sentencing-broadwell-secrets/

Right. It culminates to a misdemeanor.

With his vast experience in military and global disputes; he deserves the respect of a qualified opinion on current affairs. Regardless whether it turns out he is accurate or not he’s more knowledgeable than most of us.

Lack of knowledge never stopped many of us from making inane comments. And as for his biographer, while I am not condoning what he did, she had security clearance too.

I think he’s right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.