Pets

This may seem like a very silly question but I do need opinions. I have a wonderful house cat that is very well taken care of. I’ve been feeding some feral cats near my house (I live out in the country) and this winter a stray kitten showed up. I know she isn’t feral as she will let me pick her up and pet her. She has to stay outside, my inside cat won’t tolerate another cat in the house. I made her a safe warm bed, feed her daily separately from the feral cats.

Today I was petting her and noticed some changes. I think she may be pregnant. My dilemma is I want have her aborted. I feel horrible for wanting to not have kittens but I don’t know if I could give them away and I don’t want to add to the problem of over population with cats. One of the feral cats had kittens last fall and despite providing them with a warm safe space well away from people I believe the kittens have died, I haven’t seen them for a couple of months.

Am I wrong here?

For the record I am 100% pro-life from conception to natural death in regards to people.

I don’t think the same morals apply for cats as to people. I do think it would be messed up if you had a cat that has its babies aborted. I think you should let her have her baby’s first

Cats are not people. Take her to the vet and do what you have to do. Hopefully, for a few dollars more, the vet can “fix” her in the process and you won’t have to deal with the problem again. Does she have a safe, warm place to recover?

I’m not trying to be irresponsible with this cat. She is quite small so I believed she was too young to have kittens. My plan was to get her to my vet as soon as possible to get her checked out, shots and spayed if needed. She was dumped at my house a few days after Christmas. I’m assuming she was a Christmas present and not wanted afterwards. I would love to find her a real home but figured I’d have an easier time if she was spayed, had her shots, and was microchipped.

I certainly don’t want to give away kittens and not know if they were taken care of or dumped off like she was. I love cats and would bring them all home, probably be an episode of Animal Hoarders, but I can’t do that.

My house cat is neutered, gets his shots yearly, is microchipped and is basically spoiled rotten. I adopted him from a shelter and have loved him from the moment I saw him. I just can’t bring another car into the house. I suppose I could have a permanent shelter built outside so the female and her kittens have a safe warm place to live. And of course get them all fixed so there are no more.

Moral issue aside, and speaking from strictly a medical perspective

(My sister is a retired vet tech)

An cat/dog will possibly bleed to death if a spay is done while they are pregnant because of the blood flow to the uterus.

vetinfo.com/should-pregnant-cats-be-spayed.html

Good to know. I got an appointment with my vet for tomorrow. I’m hoping she’s not pregnant and can be spayed tomorrow. If she is pregnant, I’ll go from there, whatever the vet recommends.

There would be an option that if the cat is pregnant that you make enquires regarding a animal charity that would be willing to take her and provide life for her and her babies, by spaying her after the birth of her babies and spaying the babies before re-homing them.

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

I hope that whatever option goes, things will be well for her.

But we are too to set a good example. Taking a cat and having creatures aborted to me, it just doesn’t seem right. Almost like a violation of dignity. But maybe that’s just me.

I think for a pet, it violates human dignity personally. They may not be people, but we are. We should be good stewards. Keepers of God’s creatures.

And medically, it’s also risky to the animal.

It’s not an abortion like we think of with humans.

It’s a hysterectomy while pregnant.

Medically speaking BIG DIFFERENCE

The vet wanted to abort and fix my Mother’s cat and she brought her back. I am so glad she did. Or we would have lost 3 beautiful creatures. Then she had them all fixed :slight_smile:

Take the kittens to a no kill shelter. They will adopt them out.

Yeah, get her fixed. There’s services that will do this for little to no charge so to help control the stray cat population.

The abortion question is sorta tough. But, it’s a cat, and they breed like rabbits, and there’s an overpopulation as it is, so that stray birthing more cats is not helpful to anyone. My opinion.

It’s not medically necessary. But then again, that’s with people. I would feel like a bad steward myself. I want the reward to “…good and faithful servants.”

I personally don’t think in the beginning that taking life was a normal or ok thing. We are stewards of the Earth. But with the stray cats you can see how people don’t do their work. If it were me I would keep her separate from your cat. That’s how they start fixing the problem with a dominant cat fighting others. Then they’re allowed to see each other at a distance. You have received many opinions here. I wish you luck. :slight_smile:

This is why I’m so torn over it. Money isn’t an issue as far as caring for them and getting the proper medical treatment. We don’t have a no kill shelter anywhere near where I live, which is a very rural area.

I’ll find out tomorrow if she is indeed pregnant and if so build her a better shelter to take care of kittens. Then get her spayed as soon as possible after as well as get the kittens fixed when they are old enough.

God bless your efforts and may God have mercy on you, as you have shown to the least of his. Maybe you can find someone to take them. Remember that the least will and should always be first. Like the poor and homeless. Devotion grows faith and the works of mercy give it life.

I’m so glad you decided this. I know all the reasons why it may seem preferable to abort the kittens in light of cat overpopulation, and I know it’s not a sin like human abortion would be. But I’m tenderhearted and it just seems too sad to abort the baby kitties if you’re able not to.

You might look on Facebook for cat rescues and people who might want to adopt one of the kittens. Sometimes there are small rescues that you may not know about. I’m in a bunny rescue group in my area and a lot of amazing networking goes on in the bunny community when there are bunnies in need. I would think it’d be likewise with cats. Good luck to you and the maybe expectant mother! :smiley_cat:

Absolutely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.