Pew study finds women generally more religious than men

By Dennis Sadowski 3.22.2016 Catholic News Service

WASHINGTON (CNS) – Women, especially among Christians around the world, generally are more devout than men when standard measures of religious commitment are considered, a Pew Research Center study found.

Christian women are more likely to attend weekly religious services, be involved in daily prayer and consider religion important in their lives at higher rates than men, according to the study’s findings, released March 22.

However, among Muslims, religious practice by men was significantly higher than by women when using the same standards, researchers discovered.

The findings correspond to the cultural norm in most Islamic societies that Muslim men are expected to attend communal Friday midday prayer in the mosque. Women can fulfill the Friday prayer requirement individually, either inside or outside the mosque…

Well duh!

ICXC NIKA

That’s kinda what I though. They could pay me 20k and I could have gotten the same answer before they hung up. :wink:

A real study would tell us why are women more religious now since men have been religious in the past.

I could’ve told them that. Did they find out why, though?

:eek: Well, I for one am shocked!

Ok, I’m really not. :wink:

The interesting thing is that women were found to be more religious in Christian countries but not Islamic ones, the implication being that there is something about Christianity that women find particularly attractive. According to David Voas:

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/23/qa-why-are-women-generally-more-religious-than-men/

What do you see in our report on gender and religion that adds to the research on this subject?

The range of countries and the number of indicators of religious involvement used in the study make it possible to see the contrast between Christian and Muslim countries very clearly. In some ways the findings are counterintuitive. We’re used to thinking that the modernization of values, attitudes and behavior has made the West a land of comparative equality, while in the Muslim world large differences in the social and economic opportunities for men and women persist. Here’s an important case where the gender gap is much larger in Christian than in Muslim countries.

Does this mean that Christianity is more appealing to women than to men, and if so, why do you think this is the case?

Christianity presents itself as a religion of the powerless: “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” Depending on your point of view, that’s appealingly feminine or appallingly effeminate. Friedrich Nietzsche wrote in his characteristically abrasive way that women need “a religion of weakness that glorifies being weak, loving, and … humble as divine.”

It’s true that some religions are more appealing to women – or men – than others. If we look at alternative spirituality, some varieties attract mostly women and others are of more interest to men. (Satanism falls into the latter category.) Christianity, too, comes in many forms, to such an extent that it is difficult to generalize about its appeal. The more patriarchal versions are possibly better at keeping men involved. Where men are mostly responsible for public worship, as in Orthodox Judaism and Islam, then of course the gender gap will look different. Overall, though, I doubt that there are important differences between the major world religions in their appeal to men and women. They have all survived and thrived for centuries.

Well this is an obvious fact in the Christian faiths ,
In the Muslim Sects men are very dominant , women are not seen on the same level

Did they also discover that water is wet, and fire is hot?

(Sorry – stole that from another post.)

Hehe. Go study the *Pews *in any Church, and this becomes fairly obvious.

:smiley:

There’s also, in many places I lived, not a lot that Christianity offers or appeals to men.

The major problem is that, statistically, if a father goes to church the kids go too. If the father doesn’t, the kids statistically end up leaving. The mother has less impact.

That seems to fit with my experience.

I remember people saying that it’s usual for someone to go to the church your father goes to. Some of my neighborhood teen friends were surprised that I went to my mother’s church.

And my father’s father didn’t go to any church and didn’t encourage my father to go (telling him “God isn’t just in a church; God is everywhere”) (my grandmother went to a Protestant church) and my father didn’t go either.

The father is the spiritual head of the family. Makes sense that where he leads the family follows.

I didn’t really need a Pew study to tell me this.

Indeed. Last Spanish Mass I attended there were so many women I wanted to have a bag over my head. I’m serious.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.