Phenomonal Discovery

To all faiths: Mid June brought one of those “wow” moments when restorers cleaning a ceiling in the Catacombs of St. Thecia found what turned out to be the oldest known image of the Apostle Paul. The fresco was hidden under a limestone crust.
According to the Architect Bisconti, he has said most of his work involves very, slow painstaking precision care of the oldest intact Christian monuments and artwork.
Very little remains of any Christian church built before the fifth century, but the 140 catacombs in Italy offer clear evidence of how early Christians worshipped, how they lived and, especially, what they hoped and believed about death.
Because the catacombs are underground and were filled with dirt in the fifth century, when people began burying their dead in cemeteries within the city walls—the catacombs remained remarkapbly intact, Bisconti said.

I wish I could download this picture of St. Paul that they found, but the next best thing is to go on the newspaper “The Pilot” out of Boston and see for yourselves. That is where the info comes from. He looks exactly as we know him. Beard and balding. :slight_smile:

biblicalpaths.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/image-of-st-paul-in-rome-catacomb/

Wow. That’s pretty incredible. Thanks for posting it. I hope to visit Italy in the next couple of years; maybe it will be viewable by then.

There are 5 catacombs open out of 140 to the public. you will be in awe, and the proof of the writings on these walls is evidence that they were Catholic in belief. Wait until you see this, it is surreal. So isn’t everything else n Rome.

Even in those days, Christians paint images of Christian saints. The more you look at Christian history, the less it looks like a Protestant Church.

I love stuff like this. Thanks for posting this! :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

In the catacombs are paintings on the wall of a priest seated at a table breaking bread (meaning the Eucharist). The Blessed Mother is also there. It was Catholic in belief back then and is now.

:confused:
The church I grew up in was built c.1850. Lots of stained glass pictures of saints. There was an Episcopal Church in Texas I occasionally frequented - lots of paintings of saints. Not sure why you’d think we don’t have images of saints, Manny.

On the topic, truly incredible images.
Jon

http://directionstoorthodoxy.org/share/mod_gallery/2895.jpg

It is nice to see what early Christian holy spaces looked like in Rome.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_g_qXXK7DGE4/Rb2-8XpOORI/AAAAAAAAAWI/pwJ-CYUA9wo/s400/167498118_fed445f940.jpg

The style, like the Faith, is timeless.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.