Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony or Lenten Confession?

Every week I’ve been going to parishes in the areas Lenten Confessions on Monday at 6:00 pm. I recently got into a honors society thing at college called Phi Theta Kappa. They will have an induction ceremony tonight at 6:00 pm.

As you can see, this creates a conflict. I am too busy during the week to go to daily Mass and ask father there (except on Friday.) To make matters worse, I asked father for confession yesterday, he was unable to do it because it was Palm Sunday and it was too late, so he asked me about going to the Lenten Confession on Monday and I didn’t remember the Phi Theta Kappa induction ceremony. Now father’s going to be expecting me and I won’t be able to show up.

Which event should I attend? My college is about 30 minutes away from my house. My parish is about 6 minutes away from my house. I don’t know how long the induction ceremony will take. Even if the induction ceremony ended at say 6:30, I would have barely any time to get to Confession, and on top of that my mother was thinking of coming and she wanted to eat out afterwards.

What should I do? Should I attend a once in a lifetime event but risk burning in hell forever, or should I go to Confession and hopefully not sin before death?

Edit: I don’t know if I mentioned this: I know for certain that I have sinned. I committed quite a few sins and most of them (except anything involving gossip) all had Grave Matter, Full Knowledge, and Full Consent. I wish I could stop sinning, but I can’t as I don’t fear Hell for the most part anymore, and I fear that I don’t love God. I wish I hated sin, but it’s hard. :blush:

You believe you’re in a state of mortal sin but you’re debating going to a ceremony instead of Confession. OK. Well, let’s just be clear.

Community College standards are usually incredibly low for the vast majority of their classes, and receiving good grades in them is not remotely newsworthy. Teachers mostly teach to tests, and putting in minimal effort will lead to good results. Heck, that even applies to more complicated classes like Microbiology or Anatomy and Physiology, let alone some of the basic stuff you have to take like English Comp. You can even use resources like Rate my Professor to fish for easy classes, which would further reduce the difficulty of getting into groups like these. Paying money to be in honor societies might lead to scholarships down the line, but don’t take them too seriously.

Forget that stuff, AND GO TO CONFESSION. Even if you managed to get A’s in the most complicated classes there given by the most complicated professors. Even if this was 1950, and people in college were only let in because of genuine talents rather than because kids are expected to jump through educational hoops.

Don’t be such a knucklehead.

Congratulations on your induction to the honor society. Even if you opt not to attend it, be proud of your accomplishments, even if others on here try to minimize or disregard them as being unimportant. Also, your posts seem to indicate a bit of scrupulosity, so I hope you find yourself a regular confessor to help you with this.

After I posted this I found out that my father went to work extra early just so he could attend the induction ceremony. I guess that the induction ceremony is what I must do now or I’d make my father’s actions go in vain. :blush:

In regards to faith, I believe I am very confused in regards to sin. I wouldn’t say I’m scrupulous per-se. In fact, sometimes I take a “I don’t really care” attitude which leads me into sin rather easy. :frowning:

Whoa there, big fella. :slight_smile:

Take a look at Melodeonist’s posting history. What he doesn’t need is encouragement to encourage his somewhat scrupulous approach to his practice of Catholicism.

MELODEONIST----**Make your mother proud and go to the ceremony. Then make your mother happy and go out to eat with her. **

And aside from that, there are more than a few traditional college students who try to slip through to graduation by cross-registering for the math classes taught by my wife at our local community college, and they very soon realize that they make grave errors when they do.:eek: She teaches the same curriculum, and often accelerates it to squeeze it in to shorter terms. :smiley:

That’s great that your father changed his work schedule to attend your ceremony. I’m sure he is very proud of your accomplishments! Even if you don’t think you’re scrupulous, having a regular confessor or even a spiritual director will help you grow in your faith and give you a more personalized, direct approach to the issues you are facing.

Congratulations!:yeah_me::thumbsup:

I’m kind of offended by your attitude toward community colleges.

Make an appointment for tuesday or wednesday - and discuss your issues at length…

Hi Melodeonist,

Here’s what I can tell you from my own experience of attending the induction ceremony. It was a happy and memorable experience for me, when I received my pin.

My husband was there to support me, just like your parents want to be there for you. So, if you can make it, I would do it. :slight_smile:

Congratulations, too, on a job well done on making it into the honor society!

Thanks for all the kind words! :thumbsup:

I went to the Induction Ceremony and I sure am glad I went! Both my parents came, although we didn’t go out to eat because my mother had made dinner earlier. They had some motivational speeches from some professors, as well as some guests and other people related to Phi Theta Kappa. Then we got called up and they gave us the pledge we were to say. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Do I laugh or wet myself here? First, community college is college – the classes transfer to 4-year institutions as though they had been completed at 4-year institutions for a reason. Your assumptions do keep expensive 4-year schools in business, though, so…kudos? Second, PTK is a very reputable and worthy honors society. You might want to learn a bit more about it and the caliber of students it admits before trashing it.

As well you should be.

Congrats! :slight_smile:

I don’t want to make this into a debate about community college, but in my experience, community colleges draw two types of students. About 1/3 are serious about education, work hard, and either transfer to a four year college or finish a two year degree…in two years. About 2/3 are disinterested 19 year olds without a real plan, and are just deferring adulthood by bumming around community college listlessly until they’re like 26.

I’m sure the OP is part of the former group, of course. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that a large number of students attend community colleges for affordable vocational programs. My local community college district (which I attended for 2 years before transferring to the University of California system) offers non-degree certificate programs or 2-year degree programs in Fire Science, Forestry, Auto Mechanics, Air Traffic Control, Cosmetology, Dental Hygiene, Vocational Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapy Assistant, Railroad Operations… the list goes on and on.

Yup. That’s all great stuff.

I’ve just seen a lot of community college students who use it as a time to smoke weed and play hackey sack. They always have this vague “I’m gonna transfer to a four year school once I’m done with my prerequisites…” idea but they never actually do. (Again, not saying that this applies to the OP.)

Hackey sacks and weed are part of the college landscape and it doesn’t matter where one goes.

What purpose does it serve to post this in this thread?

Thought the conversation had moved on to community colleges in general. The OP’s question has already been resolved anyway.

Yes, but in general you don’t find as much directionless meandering in four year universities. Obviously there are burnout students in universities and there are diligent students in community colleges. Talking about the aggregate here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.