Phil Jensen: South Dakota's most conservative lawmaker?

Okay… Let’s try this again with the original source.

Jensen goes so far as to say that businesses should have the right to deny service based on a customer’s race or religion – whether that’s right or wrong, he says, can be fairly addressed by the free market, not the government.

“If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business would shut down because no one is going to patronize them,” he said.

David Patton, president of the Black Hills Center for Equality, calls Jensen’s argument deeply flawed.

He said that the bakery used in Jensen’s example would have flourished a century ago, before the passage of civil rights legislation that helped protect African-Americans and other minority groups from discrimination.

“The free market didn’t do away with slavery,” Patton said.

rapidcityjournal.com/news/phil-jensen-south-dakota-s-most-conservative-lawmaker/article_4ac9d76a-8226-5ad5-bc40-4d8cf2d51668.html

Interesting article. I doubt Jensen truly believes that a bakery refusing to serve blacks would go out of business because good old boys like him would not support it. Most likely in would attract a large number of “freedom fighters” covering their racism, as Mr. Jensen does, by claiming they’re just supporting the right of small businessmen to run their businesses as they want.

I assume the US still has a constitution. One of the reasons countries have constitutions is to protect minorities from the abuse of majorities. To allow market forces to be the defenders of minorities is absurd.

What does this have to do with anything outside of South Dakota?

If you do not know, I will point out to you that racism is neither a conservative value, nor is it (or has it ever been) a part of the plank of the Republican party.

So, what is your true agenda here?

Why so upset? It is the world news forum South Dakota is part of the world.and such outrageous statements as those made by Jensen are interesting even to those of us who live outside South Dakota. Perhaps the Republicans in South Dakota should deal with this blowhard, if they don’t want to be tainted by the hint of racism. :shrug:

I might be delusional. I was under a general anesthetic earlier today. However, I notice patterns. When I see balance, I do not object.

Good man; it takes intense courage to defend freedom in an age of tyranny.

The article is very sparse in detail, poorly written (SB128 suddenly pops up), diverts attention away from the original cause of the senator’s action and displays the typical pagan media bias. I notice that the writer chose liberal Republican, and gay lobby sources for comment. Their hate filled comments about a “hate-filled” law are comical and typical of left-wing hysteria. What about legal comments? It is no wonder that huffpo ran with it.

Maybe the UN should hold hearings, since the future of the world is at stake here. :rolleyes:

From Arizona (see here): Jim Brown Says Slavery Wasn’t So Bad. And That’s Bad News for the GOP - Republicans won’t win with a diverse electorate as long as candidates like Brown say things like, “Slave owners took pretty good care of their slaves.”

Of course they did; it was a huge financial investment. They weren’t “throw-away slaves” like in say, Egypt or Rome.

Beg your pardon? My “agenda”? :confused:

The US Constitution is meant to be a limiting doucment - to protect the populace and states against an overreaching, imperial, centralized government.

But you do have a bill of rights? Isn’t that of equal standing to the constitution?

The Bill of Rights are the first ten amendments *to *the Constitution. Freedom of Association is guaranteed under the First Amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Note, we’re speaking in terms of private businesses/associations. Federal services/associations cannot be denied to any citizen on the grounds of race, religion, sex, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.