Philippians 2:12

When ever I have debates with a relative who supports abortion, same sex marriage, same sex adoption, contraception and even works as a health adviser giving out contraception and abortion advice she always says she supports all these things because it is not for her to judge, then she always quotes Philippians 2:12 (work on your own salvation with fear and trembling)

So according to Philippians 2:12 does that mean we are not supposed to try and lead people to a Christian life and does that quote forbid us for opposing sins in others?

I know I am not perfect but the quote has still made me wonder.

Judging has to do with passing sentence. In the Christian life, judging has to do with determining whether we go to Heaven or Hell.

The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, (John 5:22)

Jesus is the judge. Only Jesus determines whether we go to Heaven or Hell.

Pointing out objective immoral or sinful behavior is not judging.

“You robbed a bank” is not judging.
“You robbed a bank and are going to Hell” is judging.

-Tim-

The phrase “work on your own salvation” comes from the KJV and its successors. In the Greek, it’s * ἑαυτῶν* (‘themselves’); it’s a construction we don’t typically use in English anymore (but is like the construction of the cry “Each man for himself!”). But, Paul isn’t saying “stay out of others’ business” … in fact, you might quote Philippians 2:3-4 back at her (“humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but [also] everyone for those of others”).

So according to Philippians 2:12 does that mean we are not supposed to try and lead people to a Christian life and does that quote forbid us for opposing sins in others?

No, of course not. We are tasked with “admonishing sinners”:

Romans 15:14 - “I myself am convinced about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and able to admonish one another.”

Colossians 3:16 - “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another”

Luke 17:3 - “[Jesus said,] Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.”

1 Thessalonians 5:14 - “We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.”

I know I am not perfect but the quote has still made me wonder.

She’s pulling the quote out of context and misusing it. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.