Philippines' Duterte, in China, announces 'separation' from US

Beijing (AFP) - Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte declared his “separation” from longstanding ally the United States in Beijing on Thursday, as he rebalances his country’s diplomacy towards China.

Duterte is in China for a four-day trip seen as confirming his tilt away from Washington and towards Beijing’s sphere of influence – and its deep pockets.

“I announce my separation from the United States,” he said to applause at a meeting in the Chinese capital.

yahoo.com/news/duterte-meets-xi-philippines-cozies-beijing-044808788.html

another shoe drops

Yikes. In a nutshell, what does this mean? Takes?

It means he has sided with China since Obama isn’t defending the South China Sea

Ok. What else? It means the loss of an ally, yes, but is it a significant loss?

Probably not. We don’t need them in order to dominate the Pacific if we need to.

Of course, this should also mean that should they get conquered again we will NOT fight to liberate them. We can no longer afford to garrison or defend everybody.

ICXC NIKA

Can’t help thinking about all those soldiers who died defending those islands during the war. Let alone the Bataan Death March.

Sounds like a match made in hell. They both are very fond of killing people.

This Duerte sounds like a nutjob. Hopefully he won’t be in power long.

Reminds me of the old limerick… THERE was a young lady of Niger. Who smiled as she rode on a Tiger;. They came back from the ride. With the lady inside,. And the smile on the face of the Tiger. -Anonymous.

We have not had much of an alliance with the Phillipines for many years. Our military bases there closed 1991-92.

Good one!

He’s a pragmatist - a Chamberlain, selling the soul of the islands so as to ingratiate himself with the soon-to-be communist masters.

I live in the Philippines and follow the news here. This is just rhetoric. He didn’t “separate” the Philippines from the United States. The relationship with the United States is still important.

[/LIST]

Call me gullible, but what else am I to think when a nation’s leader calls the leader of a historic ally names (technically his mother), demand departure of all forces, and publicly renounces the alliance with the US while embracing China? Short of deporting US nationals I’m not sure what else there is.

Sounds like he wishes to revoke his country’s status as a US ally for something more distant. Not necessarily an adversary though.

Duterte is not joking around. On numerous Occasions, he clearly stated his disgust with America and its leadership. He opts for alliances with China and Russia.

Philippine’s Duterte to China: ‘We need your help’ -> youtube.com/watch?v=dP9ADh8AqWs&feature=youtu.be <-- Published on Oct 19, 2016

Duterte seeks alliances with China and Russia -> globalnation.inquirer.net/145595/duterte-seeks-alliances-with-china-and-russia <- September 28, 2016
“President Duterte said he would build by next year “new alliances” with China and Russia to cushion the fallout from the possible withdrawal of the United States from the Philippines.”

America is perceived as weak or invasive by numerous countries, such as Russia, China, etc. The Philippines is now apparently one such country.

:thumbsup:

He has insulted President Obama, apologized and insulted him again. I think he sees Obama as a weak leader and perhaps China is whispering sweet nothings into his ear hoping to benefit at a later date.

I am living in the Philippines at the moment and it makes sense for the people here to be allied with China.

Duterte’s personal attacks on America is something different. Someone told me that he was refused a visa to go to America and has a beef against you guys.

It might just be wrapped up in the personality of Duterte. Not sure if it will have a lasting legacy after he leaves.

Can you explain why, please?

History doesn’t repeat but it rhymes. Sounds a lot like 1910. Folks starting to pick sides.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.