Phone call from a drunken friend

I got a call from my friend a while ago who was drunk… She called and told me that she is calling because she has been partying with my brother lately and noticed she has been telling him things she has never told me. They only started talking a few weeks ago. Anyway she told me when they were talking my brother (also drunk) told her that I hated him. My brother and I don’t really talk because… I don’t know we don’t have anything in common. He’s hard to talk to… but he talks real well with other people who are not his family. It made me nauseated when she told me he said I hated him. I don’t want him to think that but I have absolutely no idea how to approach this. I could talk to him but I never know what to talk to him about. I’m 18 and he is 21. I asked him to confirm me this year. Not because he was a good Catholic role-model (HA!) but because I thought maybe it would help him. I don’t agree with most things he does… Don’t want to give details but just things that are against the churches teachings. Can someone give me some advice? :eek:

Um, don’t take this the wrong way, but I would say to find better friends! I hope your friend is not using inside information to gain access to your brother. Keep praying for your brother. He might come around someday. You are both still young and figuring out who you are. Don’t be too rough on him in his current behavior or you may find that continues to act this way just to prove he is right. If he thinks you hate him, he is hurting a lot. If you do reprimand him for his poor choices try to choose your words carefully. Make sure you are condemning the behavior and not the person.

In your prayer life try to separate the sin from the sinner. Try to remember him in a better time when his behavior better reflected who you know him to be deep down. Offer that little boy to the Lord.

lol… This friend of mine I’ve known since I was born. She’s been my next door neighbor for 18 years and I could never leave her. I try and help her instead… but yes I hung around with the wrong crowd before and tried to find new ones leaving the old ones behind. It’s been about 9 months and I’m still a loner. :stuck_out_tongue: Can’t seem to find more people who I’d want to be around. I’m not the party kind of guy and that’s what everyone around here likes to do. Anyway this has been on my mind for the past 2 hours and since my bro and I can go days without talking to eachother I don’t know how to show I don’t hate him! I don’t know how to talk to him since we aren’t very close. I left him my True Knights prayer book for purity in his room. I don’t know if that was a good idea. :confused: But I definately pray for the guy… every night.

Jart, don’t listen to drunk people! Its mostly foolishness!

Two drunks don’t make a right ---- or something like that.

:rotfl:

Nothing good ever comes from drunk dialing.

Tell her to call you back when she’s sober. :wink:

Here here Good answer!!!

Seriously, my earlier post was meant to say - don’t take it so seriously what was said between those two. It really is irrelevant.

Take your brother to lunch, to a sports event, or some activity you both enjoy. Make that first step easy and reconnect. Maybe you can work in the conversation how much you appreciate him and care for him and let him know you are there for him if he ever needs you.

Doesn’t have to be preachy - just show genuine concern and be sincere. That’s it. The rest is up to him.

That’s really all guys need to know. 1) Are you a good friend and brother? and 2) Can I count on you when I need to? Continue to treat him with kindness regardless of how he acts and eventually he will hopefully see the light. Sometimes the lost lambs need a carrot on a stick to see the path. You are the carrot in your deeds, actions, and words. Good luck and God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.