Phrase "in the name of Jesus"?

What does this phrase “in the name of Jesus” mean/ imply??This phrase is written quite often in the NT.

Does it mean???

on behalf of??

in the instruction of??

per ??

with the authority of ??

the law of???

Unitarian Christians who deny the Trinity use this phrase to indicate “oneness”???

Thoughts??

Thank you and God bless!!

quotes/ examples, this would be helpful, very hard to answer a generic question.

[quote=auhsoj88]What does this phrase “in the name of Jesus” mean/ imply??This phrase is written quite often in the NT.

Does it mean???

on behalf of??

in the instruction of??

per ??

with the authority of ??

the law of???

Unitarian Christians who deny the Trinity use this phrase to indicate “oneness”???

Thoughts??

Thank you and God bless!!
[/quote]

My 12 year old daughter, (Catholic) saw a sign on a mailbox the other day that really threw her. It said “Believe on the Lord, and thou shalt be saved.” She kept asking why would anyone believe ON Him, when it is better to believe IN Him. She said it made no sense to her. At that point, there was certainly nothing more I could say.

Luke 21:16-17 " you will be betrayed even by your parents and brothers and releatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death 17, and you will be hated by all because of my name

John 1:12 but to as many as recieved him, he gave authority to become children of God, to those believing in his name.

John 3:18 the one who believes in him is not condenmed: but the one who does not believe, has already been condenmed, because he has not believed in the name in the only begotten Son of God

Mat 18:20 for where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them

Mark 9:36-37 taking a child he placed it in the middle of them, and having taking it into his arms he said to them 37 whoever recieves one of such children in my name recieves me…

Mark 9:38 John said to him "Master, we saw someone casting out devils in your name and we forbade them…39 don’t forbid him, for there is no one who performs a work of power in my name and can immediately after speak evil of me…

Mark 13:13 you shall be hate by all becuase on my name…

Also baptizing in the name of the father, son, and HS, vs baptizing in Jesus name only, as suggested in Acts.!Sorry I can’t think of the verses right now!

There is many more…but these are the few that I can think of right now!

I suppose it would be erroneous to apply just one definition without considering the context!!! Am I right???

Thank you!

It means by the AUTHORITY of the person or persons referred to. “Jesus Only” cult groups do not understand this and so say Matt 28:19 is in error. But it is not. Both Acts 2:38 and Matt 28:19 mean to do whatever by the authority of either Jesus or by the authority of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. :slight_smile:

I think the phrase “in the name of…” usually answers the question: “By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?” (Matthew 21:23) For example, Jesus said, "[size=2]I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive. " (John 5:42)

[/size]

“In the name of JesusChrist” means :
(1), saying His name
(2)… having His Character
(3)… Having His authority. … all three in one accord.

even the demons can use his name…
but without His character and His Authority…
to the user it is worthless lip service.

gusano

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.