Physician-assisted suicide in California

news.yahoo.com/assisted-suicide-bill-approved-california-assembly-201517734.html

Prayers greatly needed to stop this.

This is going to get bad.

We can and should pray but I see this coming down the same way homosexual marriage did.

Legalized assisted suicide is the ultimate evil. Abortion is murder and really bad but condoning an adult’s choice to commit suicide is the worst and completion of all that is evil.

Praying with all.

Agreed. :frowning:

Unfortunatly I agree that this feels inevitable. However I still pray that the bill does not pass. I am afraid for the poor souls who are suffering already physically and who will be tempted by this.

“Everything in the health care system is driven by cost. Everything,” said Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego. “I just can’t believe that this will actually provide choices for my community.”

ww2.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2015/09/09/physician-assisted-suicide-bill-one-step-from-governors-desk/

this is like the moments before Roe V Wade ---- once it is done it will not be able to be undone - it MUST BE STOPPED -

**PLEASE PRAY - **

May our blessed mother guide those who have the power to make this decision to realize the intrinsic evil of this and STOP it from passing.

PRO LIFE ACTION NEEDED

nytimes.com/2015/09/12/us/california-legislature-approves-assisted-suicide.html?_r=0

PLEASE write to Gov Brown - ask him to VETO this bill - and PRAY - and tell others to write to Gov Brown and PRAY ----

govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

This is what I’ve sent to Gov Brown:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VETO The Physician Assisted Suicide Bill

In a time of hospice and palliative care there is never a reason for an individual to take this action accept a concern that they are a burden to their family, or to resources - there is never a reason someone should have to make the choice to end their lives - especially when their days are numbered. Why hasten the passing when pain can be managed?

To ask doctors to do something so far from the reason they became a doctor is abhorrent.

This is wrong and I am hopeful that you will not allow California to become the 5th state to take this step in the wrong direction.

jesuit.org/blog/index.php/2012/08/jesuit-physician-says-assisted-suicide-fails-to-attend-to-the-needs-of-the-dying/
“This is a place where St. Ignatius said, ‘Love needs to be shown in deeds not words.’ The care and our whole way we approach people as they face the end of life is an issue that needs further attention. A distorted way to attend to it is what has come out of this assisted suicide [movement], but the underlying fears, concerns and discomfort about what the end of life might mean is real whether or not you agree or disagree,” Fr. Sheehan =

washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/10/california-assisted-suicide-bill-puts-spotlight-on/?

ncregister.com/blog/joan-desmond/will-gov.jerry-brown-legalize-assisted-suicide-in-california

Gov Brown … There is still time to VETO this

PRAY

Praying

Praying…
+

*O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity. O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power. O show us that you are our Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. Amen*

We must continue praying without ceasing!

….]

The new law is modeled after one that went into effect in 1997 in Oregon, where last year 105 people took their lives with drugs prescribed for that purpose.

How assisted suicide will work in California

The California law will permit physicians to provide lethal prescriptions to mentally competent adults who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and face the expectation that they will die within six months.

The law will take effect 90 days after the Legislature adjourns its special session on healthcare, which may not be until next year — January at the earliest, November at the latest.

The governor’s action caps months of emotional and contentious debate over the End of Life Option Act, which divided physicians, ethicists, religious leaders and the Democratic majority in the Legislature.

Tim Rosales, a spokesman for Californians Against Assisted Suicide, which includes doctors, advocates for the disabled, the California Catholic Conference and other religious groups, criticized Brown’s action.

“This is a dark day for California and for the Brown legacy,” Rosales said. “As someone of wealth and access to the world’s best medical care and doctors, the governor’s background is very different than that of millions of Californians living in healthcare poverty without that same access — these are the people and families potentially hurt by giving doctors the power to prescribe lethal overdoses to patients.”

Catholic Church officials, when asked for comment, said Rosales would speak for them. Rosales said the coalition is considering its options, including a lawsuit and a referendum.

,]

In the last 17 years in Oregon, doctors have written 1,173 prescriptions. Of these, 752 patients have used the medication to bring about their deaths and 421 have chosen not to use it, said Patricia A. Gonzalez-Portillo of Compassion & Choices. It is also allowed in Washington, Vermont and Montana, although in Montana it was by a court decision.

….]

latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-gov-brown-end-of-life-bill-20151005-story.html

O Lord, God of all creation, instill Your love in people so that we may come to realize that You are our strength and our protection. Lord help Your servants You have deigned to place as shepherds be the shepherds they are supposed to be, and give them the courage each needs in situations like this. If some have usurped the position, then, Lord, give Your people discernment to know; keep Your people from them, deal with the thieves with Your infinite mercy. Touch their hearts, Lord, so they may return to Your ways.

Let us pray.
That the medical doctors take their oath seriously. We pray to the Lord. *
…Lord, hear our prayer.*
That understanding that the sick have many needs, believers try to come to their aid. We pray to the Lord.
**…Lord, hear our prayer.
That living to be 108 or 9 years of age is that particular person’s life and history on earth and may no one change that. We pray to the Lord.
*…*Lord, hear our prayer.
That we may be more helpful and understanding toward the sick and their caregivers. We pray to the Lord.
That we may just do or simply be with the caregiver or the sick. We pray to the Lord.
May we let the elderly, sick, and their caregivers know that they are not alone. We pray to the Lord.
That we may each come to understand that the “someone” to do something is really “I” and I am to do the “something”. We pray to the Lord.
That each of us may be forgiven for what we have failed to do. Lord have mercy on us and forgive us.
**…Lord, have mercy, forgive us.

Prayer to the Holy Spirit by Saint Antiochus** [changed a tad]**
O Holy Spirit,
most merciful Comforter:
You proceed from the Father
in a manner beyond our understanding.
Come, I beseech You,
and take up your abode in our hearts.
Purify and cleanse us from all sin,
and sanctify our souls.
Cleanse our souls from every impurity,
water our dryness,
melt our coldness,
and save us from our sinful ways.
Make us truly humble and resigned,
that each one of us may be pleasing to You,
and that You might abide with each one of us forever.
Most Blessed Light,
most Amiable Light,
enlighten each one of us.
O Rapturous Joy of Paradise,
Fount of Purest Delight,
My God, give yourself to each one of us
and kindle in our innermost soul the fire of Your love.
My Lord, instruct, direct,
and defend us in all things.
Give us strength against all immoderate fears
and against despondency.
Bestow upon each one of us a true faith,
a firm hope,
and a sincere and a perfect love.
Grant that we always do Your Most Gracious Will.
Amen.

Lord, have mercy on California and all places that have turned away from you. Grant each place the return so that we always do Your Most Gracious Will.
Amen.

O Lord, God of all creation, instill Your love in people so that we may come to realize that You are our strength and our protection. Lord help Your servants You have deigned to place as shepherds be the shepherds they are supposed to be, and give them the courage each needs in situations like this. If some have usurped the position, then, Lord, give Your people discernment to know; keep Your people from them, deal with the thieves with Your infinite mercy. Touch their hearts, Lord, so they may return to Your ways.

Let us pray.
That medical doctors take their oath seriously. We pray to the Lord. *
…Lord, hear our prayer.*
That understanding that the sick have many needs, believers try to come to their aid. We pray to the Lord.
That living to be 108 or 9 years of age is that particular person’s life and history on earth and may no one change that. We pray to the Lord.
That we may be more helpful and understanding toward the sick and their caregivers. We pray to the Lord.
That we may just do or simply be with the caregiver or the sick. We pray to the Lord.
May we let the elderly, sick, and their caregivers know that they are not alone. We pray to the Lord.
That we may each come to understand that the “someone” to do something is really “I” and I am to do the “something”. We pray to the Lord.
That each of us may be forgiven for what we have failed to do. Lord have mercy on us and forgive us.

O Holy Spirit,
most merciful Comforter:
Come, I beseech You,
and sanctify our souls.
water our dryness,
melt our coldness,
Most Blessed Light,
most Amiable Light,
Fount of Purest Delight,
and against despondency.
a firm hope,
Amen.

Lord, have mercy on California and all places that have turned away from you. Grant each place the return so that we always do Your Most Gracious Will.
Amen.

Another one praying on this.

Another one agreeing.

Also please pray regarding physician-assisted suicide in Massachusetts (on another prayer thread) where it is still being debated.

Praying hard.

O Lord, God of all creation, instill Your love in people so that we may come to realize that You are our strength and our protection. Lord, help Your servants You have deigned to place as shepherds be the shepherds they are supposed to be, and give them the courage each needs in situations like this. If some have usurped the position, then, Lord, give Your people discernment to know; keep Your people from them, deal with the thieves with Your infinite mercy. Touch their hearts, Lord, so they may return to Your ways.

Let us pray.
…Lord, hear our prayer.*

O Holy Spirit,
most merciful Comforter:
Come, I beseech You,
and sanctify our souls.
water our dryness,
melt our coldness,
Most Blessed Light,
most Amiable Light,
Fount of Purest Delight,
and against despondency.
a firm hope,
Amen.

Amen.

The prayers’ thread for Massachusetts is**: **forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=984892&highlight=Massachusetts

The thread for Massachusetts is:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=13554976#post13554976

O Lord, God of all creation, instill Your love in people so that we may come to realize that You are our strength and our protection. Lord, help Your servants You have deigned to place as shepherds be the shepherds they are supposed to be, and give them the courage each needs in situations like this. If some have usurped the position, then, Lord, give Your people discernment to know; keep Your people from them, deal with the thieves with Your infinite mercy. Touch their hearts, Lord, so they may return to Your ways.

Let us pray.
…Lord, hear our prayer.*

O Holy Spirit,
most merciful Comforter:
Come, I beseech You,
and sanctify our souls.
water our dryness,
melt our coldness,
Most Blessed Light,
most Amiable Light,
Fount of Purest Delight,
and against despondency.
a firm hope,
Amen.

Amen.

Daughter of Israel,
Glory of all people.
Immaculate Maiden,
Joy of God.
Jesus has given you for our Mother.
You are our Queen,
pure and sinless.
We entrust ourselves to you.
Immaculate Mary.
Faithful one.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.