Picture of Saint Mary Magdalen Weeping at the Tomb of Jesus--As He Approaches. For the Catholic Feast of Mary Magdalen, Sunday, July 22

She weeps for him after he died, but doesn’t know he is right behind her.

This event is in the Gospel of Saint John, chapter 22:
11 But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb; 12 and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. 13 They said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.” 14 Saying this, she turned round and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom do you seek?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rab-bo′ni!” (which means Teacher). 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.”

This portrayal of Mary Magdalene weeping at the tomb of Jesus is by the British artist, Harold Copping, in 1927

What a beautiful picture…I have never seen it before. Thank you so much for posting it. God bless you.:butterfly:

Thanks for posting this. I’d like to get to know St. Mary Magdalen. Obviously she’s very important to the Gospel. But I’ve never thought of her much.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing

I always liked the fact that she mistook him for the “gardener” or the groundskeeper or whoever.

It’s details like that, that make the Bible really ring true for me.

Yes it adds the human touch. Because she was so focused in her grief and shock she wouldn’t be paying attention to people around her. Just like when we are in pain and people look at us and talk but in our minds it is like a blur.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.