Pictured: Squirrel mother goes nuts and attacks dog trying to eat her baby

The Mail Online:

[size=4]Pictured: Squirrel mother goes nuts and attacks dog trying to eat her baby

They have a bit of a reputation for a vicious streak, but this dog certainly got more than it bargained for after pouncing on a baby squirrel it found on the ground.
Moments before the hapless baby would have been torn apart, these images show its mother appearing to leap off a nearby tree and attacking the surprised dog

It is unclear if the images have been edited, but the startled dog appears in considerable pain as the squirrel bites into its flank.
The surprise assault gives the baby squirrel just enough time to climb back up the nearby tree before its mother is thrown clear and escapes from the dog.

Mother love in action. Check out the photos.
Sorry . . .Ican't figure out how to un-bold the main text.[/size]

thanks for those cute pictures. there is nothing like a mother's love! what a brave mother squirrel. glad she saved her baby!

Awesome! :thumbsup:

What an uplifting series of pictures! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this link. It really brightened my day! :flowers:

Squirrels are mean...I had a large Mainecoon cat who chased a squirrel up a tree....when he was about 15ft in the air...the squirrel turned and chewed him up....the squirrel could run in circles around the tree...but my cat had to hang on for dear life as he tried to back down the tree to jump....I took him to the vet and he had bites all over his back and neck. He layed around for about a week.....after he felt better he wanted out one warm afternoon...I opened the door and in about three minutes there was clawing at the front door with cat screeches and frightened meow's....I opened the door and he ran in...a squirrel was sitting on the fence barking at him...he never liked to be around squirrels again.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:178482"]
The Mail Online:

Mother love in action. Check out the photos.
Sorry . . .Ican't figure out how to un-bold the main text.

[/quote]

What a pity that human mothers dont act the same. Human mothers intentionally take their babies to be killed and we are the intelligent and civilized ones. Yeah right!!!
GraceAngel.

[quote="Publisher, post:5, topic:178482"]
Squirrels are mean...I had a large Mainecoon cat who chased a squirrel up a tree....when he was about 15ft in the air...the squirrel turned and chewed him up....the squirrel could run in circles around the tree...but my cat had to hang on for dear life as he tried to back down the tree to jump....I took him to the vet and he had bites all over his back and neck. He layed around for about a week.....after he felt better he wanted out one warm afternoon...I opened the door and in about three minutes there was clawing at the front door with cat screeches and frightened meow's....I opened the door and he ran in...a squirrel was sitting on the fence barking at him...he never liked to be around squirrels again.

[/quote]

Yep, squirrels do have that reputation. From looking at the pictures I would say they misunderstood the dog. We had an Airedale that used to love playing with our 2 baby kittens we had. Those kittens wouldn't have been that much bigger than that squirrel. She would take the kittens and fling them up in the air like rag dolls and then catch them in her mouth. The only part of those kittens that was ever hurt was their pride. She would let them go and they would be sopping wet but no bite marks or scratches. Dogs do have their own babies and as such can be surprisingly gently.

Squirrel attacks playful dog. The dog appeared to be in play mode to me. But ma was definetly on the job. Nice pictures.

Poor dog. Probably only wanted to play. Most dogs I know wouldn’t look down on their snack, or even break stride, just grab it on the run.

[quote="Grace_Angel, post:6, topic:178482"]
What a pity that human mothers dont act the same. Human mothers intentionally take their babies to be killed and we are the intelligent and civilized ones. Yeah right!!!
GraceAngel.

[/quote]

i was thinking of the same thing. :(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.