Pictures and Statues?

As a current Protestant, we are taught not have have any idols, statues, or anything similar since it is apart of the 10 Commandments.

However, when I see statues and photos of Jesus or Mary… I am not sure what to think.

When they say idols, statues, etc. What does it mean to have it of Jesus or Mary?

The only thing at my church that we have of a “photo” is just a list of the Ten Commandments. I never see any photos or statues of them.

Worship of idols means such things as the golden calf. If someone prays to a statue expecting the statue to respond to his prayers, then he is committing idolatry. When Catholics pray in front of statues they are praying to the person that the statue represents. This is no different to God commanding Moses to make two statues of angels to place on the Ark of the covenant.

Does your Protestant group have manger scenes at Christmas time? Those consist of statues. I always thought that was weird, that Protestants are taught against statues but they have these. Also they have Crosses in their buildings.:hmmm:

Our church does not have scenes like that, but it is just my church because I have a friend who attends a Baptist Church and they do scenes. I have seen them at other churches of Mary and Joseph… but we do have crosses in the buildings.

Okay! That seems better. At least I will know why that is :slight_smile: Thanks!

Also, What is Holy Water? Also, I see some people make that cross thing with there fingers like they will just "draw " on the air of a Cross… like the smiley thing on some people’s signature.:signofcross: <---- That.

It is called The Sign Of The Cross. It is a reminder of Whom they belong to. It is also a prayer. As they are making that Sign, they will say “In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
Here is an article from Wikipedia on Holy Water
Holy water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy water is water that has been blessed by a member of a clergy or religious figure. The use for cleansing prior to a baptism and spiritual cleansing is common …
‎Holy water font - ‎Holy water (disambiguation) - ‎Holy water in Eastern Christianity

=khmsct99;11960173]As a current Protestant, we are taught not have have any idols, statues, or anything similar since it is apart of the 10 Commandments.

However, when I see statues and photos of Jesus or Mary… I am not sure what to think.

When they say idols, statues, etc. What does it mean to have it of Jesus or Mary?

The only thing at my church that we have of a “photo” is just a list of the Ten Commandments. I never see any photos or statues of them.

My friend, it is the Holy Spirit who has led you to ask this very prudent question.

It is NOT the object; but the intended use of the object that makes an item a FLASE IDOL

Anything that can point one in the Direction of the One TRUE God is good; and everything that is aimed at competing with Devine Worship is bad.

is this a biblical teaching? Yes it is:D

IDOLS:
1 Chr. 18 “for the altar of incense made of refined gold, and its weight; also his plan for the golden chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the LORD”

Exod.25: 18, 20 And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. [20] The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be

Num.21: 8-9 And the LORD said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live.” So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and

IN EACH OF THESE GOD IS PERSONALLY MANDATING THEIR CONSTRUCTION AND USE. AND EACH IS AIMED AT LEADING ONE TOWARDS GOD. Amen!:thumbsup:

Thanks fort asking,
Patrick

These links may help. I wrote the first one for my blog.
Iconoclasm: Or: Catholics Worship Graven Images NOT

[LIST]
*]What is an example of idolatry?
*] Carving statues and Images
*] Where are statues and saints in the Bible?
*] Where does the New Testament allow for graven images?
*] Do Catholics Worship Statues?
[/LIST]

It is also a simple and profound profession of faith (as well as the beginning and end of most all of our prayers) of the belief in the Trinity.

Here is an article from Wikipedia on Holy Water
Holy water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_water
Holy water is water that has been blessed by a member of a clergy or religious figure. The use for cleansing prior to a baptism and spiritual cleansing is common …
‎Holy water font - ‎Holy water (disambiguation) - ‎Holy water in Eastern Christianity

Holy water is found in Numbers 5:17

The example I always like is that of a mother who’s son has just gone away on camp for the first time. She speaks to him on the phone and looks at a picture of him at the same time. When the conversation is over she kisses the picture. Has she confused the picture with the person? Of course not. She is using it as to help focus her attention. Also, like most people, she likes to accompany her thoughts and feelings with actions as a way of expressing them.

So, when I look at a religious image while I am praying it helps keep me focused, my attention is apt to wander otherwise, and it reminds me of lots of good stuff about Jesus or Mary in the same way that a picture of a family member can bring back a whole host of memories.

Okay, so I have been looking at the Sign of the Cross… and I’m a bit confused. I have now seen 2 different ways.

1. Forehead, Chest, Left Shoulder, Right Shoulder
  2. Forehead, Heart, Left Shoulder, Right Shoulder

Are both correct or am I looking at it wrong?

This helped a lot. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Both.

=Church Militant;11961020]These links may help. I wrote the first one for my blog.
Iconoclasm: Or: Catholics Worship Graven Images NOT

[LIST]
*]What is an example of idolatry?
*] Carving statues and Images
*] Where are statues and saints in the Bible?
*] Where does the New Testament allow for graven images?
*] Do Catholics Worship Statues?
[/LIST]
It is also a simple and profound profession of faith (as well as the beginning and end of most all of our prayers) of the belief in the Trinity.Holy water is found in Numbers 5:17

Nicely done,

God Bless you,

Patrick

[LIST]
*]words that you see in a book are images graven with ink.
*]pictures are images graven with ink, paint, etc.
*]photos are images graven with light and chemicals.
*]words and pictues on modern media (eg computers, tablets, etc) are images graven with bytes and light.
*]memories that are visual in nature are images graven with engrams.

despite the dimensional quality of all the above images, they are yet graven images.
[/LIST]

if you the strict philosophy of no graven images, you should never read. you should avoid looking upon pictures, photographs. you should avoid memorization or reflections on the memories of visual images.

The commandment is not to make and bow down to images or to make and serve images.

Bowing down was a sign of giving someone power over you or that you were a servant of the one you bowed to. I have a statue of Jesus in my home. I don’t serve the statue. I serve the person depicted by the statue. The person depicted by the status has power over me, not the statue itself.

The command not to bow down to or serve images was given to a people who thought the statues were the actual god.

-Tim-

when my son forgets and gets confused i use the following reflection to help him. i will remind him the the bible often references the right hand as a place of honor so we will say/pray,

"we begin with our right hand to offer You our place of honor as we pray",

“In the name of the Father. Be in our mind.” (we touch our forehead)
“the Son. Be in our hearts.” (we touch our hearts, chest it’s not an exact science.)
“and the Holy Spirit. Surround us.” (left shoulder, then right)

(the following two are not traditionally part of the sign of the cross but are often seen in closing.  usually a cultural tradition.)

“Amen. With love.” (kiss the Cross/feet of Jesus, done as if holding the Crucifix and kissing it/the feet on it.)

“Amen. We pray.” (our hands are brought together to form prayer hands.)

as God is the beginning and the end prayers are most often begun and ended with the sign of the cross. personnally, i begin a prayer with prayer hands and end kissing His feet. that being said, most do one or the other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.