Pictures of Beautiful "Catholic Mass and Procession"....but is it Catholic?

Dear Friends,

Before reading this post- take a look at the pictures at the end of the post and then come back read the following statement below...

** Would it shock would you if I told you these images come from an Anglican Church???**

I wanted to share this with you- I recently came across this Church.  It is the Church of St. Silas, it is an Anglo Catholic or a "High Church" parish in London- Anglo Catholic means that you are an Anglican (in Communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury, with her majesty Queen Elizabeth as head of the Church) but that in belief and practice you are a Catholic. 

These images show something extremely beautiful and awe inspiring, it is almost "unbelievable" that they are not Roman Catholic- the last picture is from the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, to whom I am most devoted!- at Walsingham there is a Catholic and an Anglican Shrine.   Most people in England, Catholics and Anglicans alike don't realize that this type of worship does exist in the Anglican Church and it is beautiful.....as Roman Catholics many of us love this kind of worship and crave these Solemn Liturgies and processions- it is awe inspiring that our brethren in the Anglican Church (some of them) are doing this.  It is such a shame that all this can't come over to Rome and then be really Catholic!  The Anglican Ordinariate- has brought a lot of this with it and has enriched many English Catholics and brought something special to English Catholicism with them.

Please join me in praying for a greater unity between Anglicans and Catholics, if all Anglicans were like this there wouldn't be any problems!  I myself as a Roman Catholic (and former Anglican) would feel very comfortable praying and going in procession with these Anglicans- I am a great devotee of Our Lady of Walsingham as I mentioned and the Anglo Catholic Church there is like a Roman Basilica and many Catholic people get confused and go to Mass and even Communion at the Anglican Shrine, I myself saw Mass being said there at the Altar in the last picture and it was 100% identical to a Catholic Mass, of course I did not go to Communion but it was tempting as it was so "Catholic"- I do wear an Anglo Catholic medal of Our Lady of Walsingham.  Let us pray that all this comes over to Rome and for the true conversion of "Anglicans" to the Roman religion and for England's return to her Holy Mother and the Chief Shepherd, the Vicar of Rome!

I agree. I loved the music and imagery of the Anglican church, but loved truth even more. Now, thank God, I am at last in a real Catholic parish that has both. It is not accident, I am sure, that the music director is a former Anglican.:smiley:

:nope:

No.

Either you are in Communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury, with her majesty Queen Elizabeth as head of the Church, and therefore not Catholic, or you are in communion with the Roman Pontiff (and, at best, in imperfect communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury etc) and Catholic.

No one is both, no matter how mistaken their belief and practice.

I too have been acquainted with Anglicans who believed they were Catholic, but they were mistaken.

tee

wolf in sheep’s clothing

I prefer these photographs .

It is very beautiful I agree, unfortunately there are not that many High Anglicans as a lot or mostly are low Anglicans or some now have joined the Anglicanorum Coetibus , one cannot have a foot in both camps, either one is under Queen Elizabeth/Archbishop of Canterbury or one is under the Pope, no matter how look alike it is, its a bit like an advertisement we had on the English television some time back if you have a Mercedes car, but all the parts under the bonnet ( I think you say hood) are generic as is the inside, the dash board etc, then you don’t have a Mercedes.

I always pray for these High Anglicans who think they are following the Roman Church and are Catholic but are not in the flock of Pope Francis., they are Anglican, Protestant and broke with Rome when Henry V111 could not get his own way, when one reads the total devastation he brought down on England, all the monks, nuns, Monasteries, Convents, chopped heads off if they did not agree he Henry was Head of the Church, and gave sacred Land to lay people, desecrated Altar’s and anything Holy, really he should have been removed from the Throne. Anyway I am rambling, it is beautiful, but they are not Catholic, unless Queen Elizabeth has renounced her right of being Head of the Church of England and gone back to her original culture and heritage and back under the Pope. Amen Amen.

Queen Elizabeth is not Head of the Church of England .

Some more good photographs :-

She is the ‘Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England’. Archbishops and bishops are appointed by The Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister, who considers the names selected by a Church Commission. They take an oath of allegiance to The Queen on appointment and may not resign without Royal authority. Source: The Official website of the Monarchy (royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/QueenandChurch/QueenandtheChurchofEngland.aspx).

I would suggest that Anglicans/CofE would know whether they are Catholic or not. If Catholic, their church would be part of the Ordinariate (we have one sitting a stone’s throw from the Cathedral).

Spot on !

Nowhere does it say that she is Head of the Church of England , any more than the Spanish dictator Franco’s authority to to name bishops and veto appointments down to the level of the parish priest made him Head of the Church in Spain .

I went to one of their liturgies once in an effort to get an Anglican friend to come to Catholic adoration with me.

It was very beautiful, but felt empty. Like all that beauty was going to waste because it wasn’t attached to a true sacrifice.

P.S. My friend converted last year but it was no thanks to me! :slight_smile:

Not strictly true - liturgically most parishes in the CofE have moved “up the candle” and are high or Anglo-Catholic, or some like St Silas are described as Anglo-Papal!.

Indeed you are right. And it is a little known fact that Bishops in Austria-Hungary had to swear an oath of allegience to the Austrian Emperor and that he too was involved in appointments, but, as you say, that does not make him head of any church.

Lovely photos.

When I go to this site

www.royal.gov.uk

And I click on the words (to the right of the photographs near the top) “The Queen and the Church” the words to the right of the photo read “The Queen is the head of the Church of England.”

Then the words are wrong. She is not the Head of the Church of England, as others have already said. If you then click on the more detailed links it explains in greater and more accurate detail.

The details seem to support that the Queen is the head of the Church of England.:
royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/QueenandChurch/QueenandtheChurchofEngland.aspx
The Preface to the 39 Articles of the Church of England describes the monarch as ‘being by God’s Ordinance, according to Our just Title, Defender of the Faith and … Supreme Governor of the Church of England’.

Supreme Governor not Head.

Who would you say is the head? It wasn’t me who wrote that the Queen is the head on their website.

The Archbishop of Canturbury.

archbishopofcanterbury.org/pages/church-of-england.html

The Church of England is organised into two provinces; each led by an archbishop (Canterbury for the Southern Province and York for the Northern).

The foundation of the See of Canterbury by St Augustine dates from 597, and the division of the English Church into the two provinces of Canterbury and York from 735 Each province has a principal bishop – an archbishop who has personal authority and jurisdiction at all times as the so-called ‘metropolitan’. Since medieval times each has been acknowledged as a ‘primate’ (ie, bishop of the first see) of the church in England, Canterbury being the acknowledged since 1353 as the senior with the title of ‘Primate of All England’. (Until 1920 the Province of Canterbury, and thus the Church of England, also included the bishops and dioceses in Wales.)

As metropolitan archbishops, Canterbury and York each have the right and the obligation to confirm the election of new diocesan bishops, and to ordain all new bishops within their province. In connection with this responsibility, the influence of both archbishops in the senior appointments has grown immensely in the last century. Alternately they chair sessions of the Crown Nominations Commission whose job it is to identify and approve candidates for appointment as diocesan bishops the Church of England.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.