Pilgrimage ideas

I promised Our Lord that I would make a pilgrimage if a special intention was accomplished. It was. Now I need a pilgrimage idea.

I don't have much time (maybe a weekend or three to four days) so Compostelo, Lourdes and Fatima aren't options.

I live in deep South Texas...so Our Lady of San Juan del Valle is out (it's like 10 miles away). Little Flower in San Antonio is an option but it feels like it is too close.

I don't want to worry my family by traveling into Mexico....so Guadalupe, Zapopan and Lagos are out.

I was thinking of either Hanceville, Washington D.C. or OL of the Snows....

Any suggestions....

If you wish to make a pilgrimage in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and don't mind traveling a ways north, there's: Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine in La Crosse, Wisconsin. It was built by Card. Burke as a place where those who cannot, for one reason or the other, go to the Shrine in Mexico. The Shrine in WI is full associated with the one in Mexico, so one receives all the same indulgences. My dh and I are going to go over Labor Day weekend, but it's an easier trip for us since we live in MN. ;)

If you wish to make a pilgrimage in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and don't mind traveling a ways north, there's: Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine in La Crosse, Wisconsin. It was built by Card. Burke as a place where those who cannot, for one reason or the other, go to the Shrine in Mexico. The Shrine in WI is full associated with the one in Mexico, so one receives all the same indulgences. My dh and I are going to go over Labor Day weekend, but it's an easier trip for us since we live in MN. ;)

The condition of Mexico brings tears to my eyes. The cartels have foreclosed trips to the great shrines of Mexico.

I went to Guadalupe when I was 9 years old and didn't really comprehend the experience. I wish I could go again.

The violence is even worse in Guadalajara. That has foreclosed the two nearby shrines (N.S. de Zappopan and N.S. de San Juan de los Lagos). I remember visiting those two shrines when I was 9.

(BTW: The statue at Our Lady of San Juan del Valle in San Juan, Texas, is the same as San Juan de los Lagos.)

I'd read about the violence with the cartels but didn't realize it was that bad. :eek: All the more reason to seek out a pilgrimage site here in the States, yes? I hope others will have a few more suggestions for you. And that you will be able to fulfill your promise. God bless you! :)

How about Chimayo, in New Mexico? It is outside of Santa Fee. The El Santuario Chimayo

[quote="beloved1, post:6, topic:288397"]
How about Chimayo, in New Mexico? It is outside of Santa Fee. The El Santuario Chimayo

[/quote]

Tell me more....

It is about 75 miles north of SF on the road to Taos. I’ve been there.

As I recall, a cross was found there by Spanish priests in 1816 and, despite repeated efforts to move this cross to SF, it found it’s way back there. This was taken as a sign to build a mission there.

The earth of the site is said to have miraculous propensities (analogous to the water at Lourdes).

This is doable distance wise, as it is a day’s drive ex TX, or about 2 flight hours.

Bon voyage and ICXC NIKA

fyi, Chimayo website …
elsantuariodechimayo.us/

Haven’t been.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.